Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics
1149 Discussions

DEVBoard D510 - What other Carriers options ?

GKank
Beginner

Hi

The intel atom d510 dev board ships with a compute module and a Carrier board .

My question is How can I reuse the compute module with a smaller or different Carrier board ( I think it is made by Viking Modular Solutions).

What are the carrier options that are fully compatible with the atom D510 compute module.

Thanks

Gopal

0 Kudos
5 Replies
wyuan5
Beginner

英语不好,看不懂啊,谁能翻译一下

0 Kudos
GKank
Beginner

can u please translate to english

0 Kudos
Stewart_C_Intel
Employee

Currently there is only the single carrier board available. I've had several proposals from people looking to build a smaller carrier with a Xilinx FPGA, and another one with motor drivers and interfaces for servo's to enable a robot. Neither of these have become products, but if you're interested in either of these I can get you in contact with each other.

There is a Bring Up Board, with power, ethernet and USB, that was built for initial debug. Its not validated, but you might be able to use that as a basis for your own design. The layout files for the mini-ITX carrier are available if you want to start from there, and remove parts.

Stewart Christie

http://twitter.com/# !/intel_stewart http://twitter.com/# !/intel_stewart

0 Kudos
GKank
Beginner

Thanks Stewart and Felix for responding. Greatly appreciated. What I am trying to do is take the D510 compute module and use it with a bare minimum carrier.

By bare minimum I mean a single display interface , 1 USB port, 1 Ethernet etc. Since my approach is to reuse the Compute Module I am on the quest for a minimal carrier board that provides all the interfaces neccessary to drive an Atom D510. Is there a possibility of me getting an actual bring up board for experimenting rather than the schematics?

Thanks.

Gopal

0 Kudos
FMcNu1
Valued Contributor I

Hi Gopal:

Welcome to the Intel® Embedded Community.

The Devboard is intended for development and/or evaluation. According to the user manual (excerpt below), the included Mini-ITX carrier should support all of the interfaces supported by the Intel® Atom™ Processor on the compute module. Can you say what is your objective in replacing the carrier with a smaller or different one?

Mini-ITX Carrier

The carrier platform, as shown in Figure 2, provides all the required interfaces to the

capabilities exposed by the Compute Module. In addition, the carrier provides

additional interfaces that are typically common across multiple compute module

definitions (e.g. Super I/O). The carrier provided as part of this development kit  provides a super-set of the interfaces required by the Intel® Atom™ Processor N450  and D510 Compute Modules.

Felix

J. Felix McNulty

Community Moderator (Intel contractor)

0 Kudos