Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics
1152 Discussions

EMGD driver for X 1.7.7 and kernel 2.6.33 (TinyCore Linux)

MDani5
Beginner

Hi every body,

My configuration:

Board : intel Atom Z510 1.1 Ghz + US15W (menlow)

Screen 800x600x24bits on LVDS port

512Mo DDR2

I'm using TinyCore Linux (X 1.7.7 and 2.6.33-3 kernel).

And i want to have same (better) performances as ubuntu 8.04 with iegd driver.

I've installed Debian squeeze driver (for X1.7.3), but the system is blocked when X driver is loading! (stack error)

I've try Debian Squeeze with the driver, but it doesn't run!!!

Actions

Install Debian Squeeze

service gdm stop

install driver (intel script)

xorg.conf intel configuration!

service gdm start

==> can't load emgd driver!

Is there a problem with driver and / or install script ?

Any help is accepted!

Thanks,

Daniel.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

When we provide EMGD, we have to target specific distributions of Linux because the Linux market is so fractured. Unfortunately, TinyCore is a distribution that we do NOT directly support. It is not completely bad news as the driver is fairly flexible and is successfully used on unsupported distros all the time. The kernel changes to DRM/GART, and scripts are provided as code that you can adapt. The bigger thing is to be sure to MATCH the X version supported by a particular EMGD release as that generally cannot be adapted.

For example, the currently available release of EMGD (1.5.2) supportes MeeGo 1.0 kernel 2.6.33 with X 1.8.0 and Fedora 11 kernel 2.6.29 with X 1.6. The kernel close matches the version of yours but the X server is a problem. You would need to either backrev to 1.6 or upgrade to 1.8.

I believe a bigger problem is the TinyKernel which I've heard is really different from the mainline kernel (but eh DRM support may be able to be adapted). Also, the Debian Squeeze X is also likely changed from mainline X so that could be even a bigger isse.

If you want accelerated vide/3D, have you considered MeeGo or Fedroa as your distro??

Hope this helps.

MDani5
Beginner

Thanks Kirk!

If i understand, i have no hope using Debian squeeze driver (X 1.7.3 on Debian X 1.7.7) on TCL (X 1.7.7).

(remember that Intel Debian Squeeze driver on Debian Squeese doesn't run ... i do a driver test)

I choose TCL because it is very thin with very good performances! Thats very important for me and my products!

I have others differents machine with TCL. With performances (and size) i want!

(TCL will be more and more used : Google miss TCL choice ... with regrets)

I will try with on old X TCL version (Xorg 7.4 : X 1.6) with a correspondong intel driver ... have i any hope it runs ?

Daniel.

0 Kudos
MDani5
Beginner

With X 1.6.1 and Intel driver 1.6.4 (from F11) i've got same result.

When emgd driver is starting to be loader, screen is frozen and nothing is possible!

Nothing visible in /var/log/messages

last lines of Xorg.0.log:

(II) Module kbd: vendor="X.Org Foundation"

compiled for 1.6.1, module version = 1.3.2

Module class: X.Org XInput Driver

ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 4.0

(II) EMGD: Intel(R) Embedded Media and Graphics Driver version 1.5.1816 for:

Intel US15W Class

(II) Primary Device is: PCI 00@00:02:0

(II) resource ranges after probing:

[0] -1 0 0xffffffff - 0xffffffff (0x1) MX[B]

[1] -1 0 0x000f0000 - 0x000fffff (0x10000) MX[B]

[2] -1 0 0x000c0000 - 0x000effff (0x30000) MX[B]

[3] -1 0 0x00000000 - 0x0009ffff (0xa0000) MX[B]

[4] -1 0 0x0000ffff - 0x0000ffff (0x1) IX[B]

[5] -1 0 0x00000000 - 0x00000000 (0x1) IX[B]

(==) EMGD(0): RGB weight 888

(==) EMGD(0): Default visual is TrueColor

drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0

drmOpenDevice: open result is 7, (OK)

Daniel.

0 Kudos
HM__2
Novice
MDani5
Beginner

Thanks!

With this information, i succed to use driver on Debian Squeeze!

Now, i continue on TCL

Daniel.
0 Kudos
JSun20
Beginner

I just wonder if I can get release of EMGD supportes Fedora 14 kernel 2.6.35 with X 1.9 because Fedora 11 is too old for us.

0 Kudos
AChea
Novice

You're probably in the same boat as us Ubuntu folks. The intel guys will probably tell you the same thing, but here's the breakdown as far as I can tell.

If your kernel / xserver version match any of the EMGD profiles, then you can probably mess with the installer script to handle your setup. If they don't match, you can probably (depending on your level of investment) modify your stock build to conform to an existing profile.

In your case, kernel 2.6.35 and Xorg 1.9 are supported by the MeeGo 1.1 release. It's listed as "experemental" but intel said in another thread that it's generally stable. Prior to this I had frozen my Ubuntu 10.10 install with a custom 2.6.33 kernel and Xorg 1.7.99 server to match the MeeGo 1.0 profile. But DRI didn't work for me with the MeeGo 1.0, so no 3D acceleration.

0 Kudos
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

The DRI support is what is provided in source AND is the major work done by the install script also so if you have the expertise (or can find someone with it) you should be able to get that adapted to your particular kernel.

JSun20
Beginner

We probably do not need DRI now but needs some libraries or modules with Xorg 1.9 such as emgd_drv.so, emgd_drv_video.so and so on to at least start Xorg server with emgd.ko (kernel 2.6.35) which are similarly used in Fedora 11. How can I get those libraries and tools?

0 Kudos
AChea
Novice

It's all in the tarball produced from the CED utility. The general sequence of steps is.

1) Go here... http://edc.intel.com/Software/Downloads/EMGD/# download http://edc.intel.com/Software/Downloads/EMGD/# download and grab the installer

2) Install it on a windows box, run the CED utility

3) Setup a linux distro with whatever configurations you need. Documentation is here... http://edc.intel.com/Download.aspx?id=4722&returnurl=/Software/Downloads/EMGD/default.aspx http://edc.intel.com/Download.aspx?id=4722&returnurl=/Software/Downloads/EMGD/default.aspx

4) Copy the installer tarball onto your distro, unpack it, and make your way to IEMGD_HEAD_Linux/Utilities

5) You'll probably need to tinker with the install.sh script you can see my post here, for an example.

http://embedded.communities.intel.com/thread/5018?tstart=0 http://embedded.communities.intel.com/thread/5018?tstart=0

6) If everything goes well, you should be able to use the "emgd" driver in xorg.conf

There might be some steps missing, this isn't meant as a walkthrough, just a rough approximation of the critical steps I hit getting it working on my netbook. If you're someone like me, a fair amount of reading and learning about CED, Xorg, and kernel modules had to take place for this to work. It's not easy, but it's not insurmountable either.

0 Kudos
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

The POR for the next release of EMGD will support Fedora 14 for kernel 2.6.35 (TimeSys version) and X 1.9.0 so watch for availability of that very soon. It is in beta right now for our customers who are in the Premier Support (Quad) system as far as I know. Release usually follows a few weeks later so look for it around the end of this month of the beginning of next. To get it sooner, work with your Intel Field Rep to get a Premier Support account.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
JSun20
Beginner

Thanks, Kirk and Adrian.

I believe many of us like me thank your nice job.

0 Kudos
MDani5
Beginner

Hi,

I modify install script for TCL.

Same results as before.

I've done again and try to "sudo insmod emgd.ko"

results : emgd: unknown symbols:

drm_framebuffer_cleanup

drm_open

drm_fasync

drm_poll

drm_mode_crtc_set_gamma_size

drm_core_get_reg_ofs

drm_mode_config_init

drm_crtc_init

drm_exit

drm_core_get_map_ofs

drm_init

drm_helper_mode_fill_fb_struct

drm_mmap

drm_crtc_helper_set_config

drm_core_reclaim_buffers

drm_release

what does that mean ?

Thanks

Daniel.

0 Kudos
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

Well it means either the TinyCore has removed the DRM interface (critical for us to interface to the kernel), OR it has seriously changed the DRM interface. Because we have no experience with this distribution (not POR for us), we just have no wayt to help you with it. Maybe others here on the community have some experience that they can provide. BTW: This is why we provide the source for the DRM interface- so you can adapt it to distributions that we are not going to support.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
MDani5
Beginner

Yes, because i done a new test and have others results : see in zip file Xorg.0.log and messages files.

Sems to be ok, but X doesn't start.

Only 2 screen flash, and stopped cursor on upper left corner, with nothing to do.

I've changed destination directories for driver and libs.

And do emgd.ko generation and insmod ... by adapted install.sh script.

Is there anything wrong in traces files ... that i can't "see"?

Or what have i to do now ?

Thanks

Daniel.

0 Kudos