Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics
1153 Discussions

MPEG2 dec for IPTV supporting HW dec of US15W Poulsbo

FLeu
Beginner

Hi

I need to use the the HW decoder of the US15W Poulsbo to support MPEG2 decoding in Windows Embedded Standard (eq. XP SP3) for an embedded streaming IPTV solution.

I can not find a codec that does it nor a player that can do it.

Cyberlink PowerDVD can only play files and not streamed content. WMP11 only works for VC-1/WMV.

Can I just not find it or is there no solution for streaming MPEG2 IPTV on US15W and using the Hardware decoder?

Thank for any hints

Franz

0 Kudos
7 Replies
FMcNu1
Valued Contributor I

Hi Mclion:

Welcome to the Intel® Embedded Community.

Since you are using Intel® US15W, I want to make you aware of a special place to go with your technical questions. The Intel e-Help desk is staffed by Intel representatives dedicated to answering embedded Intel® architecture product, design and development questions for select Intel processors, including Atom and System Controller Hub.

The Intel e-Help desk is only available to registered Privileged users. Before you can access e-Help, you will first have to upgrade your community membership to Privileged status. Privileged account status also allows you to access special documents and tools at the Intel® Embedded Design Center. Note that it usually takes a few days for the approval process, and it normally requires that your company has a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) with Intel. If you are interested, http://edc.intel.com/My-Account.aspx http://edc.intel.com/My-Account.aspx" target="_self">Click here to go to your 'My Account' page and request Privileged access.

In the meantime, let's see if someone in the community can help you with an answer.

Felix

0 Kudos
FLeu
Beginner

Hello Felix McNulty,

Thank you for your answer.

I already tried to get a 'priviledged' account - on 02/15/2010. All I got so far is this:

Attention Franz Leu

This is to notify you that we have not found an existing Corporate Non-Disclosure Agreement (CNDA) between your Company and Intel Corporation. We are now taking steps to determine if it is appropriate to establish one. This process will take approximately 2 business days during which time an Intel representative may contact you for more information regarding the status of your design project. Thank you for your patience.

Sincerely,

Registration Administrator

Intel® Embedded Design Center

http://edc.intel.com/ http://edc.intel.com/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">edc.intel.com

To ensure delivery of future emails from the Intel® EDC, please add the mailto:edc.support@intel.com mailto:edc.support@intel.com" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">edc.support@intel.com address to your trusted email list.

Nothing else happened!

So, since it seems that a lot of pros are around in this groups here, I thought that this would be a good starting place for my questions.

BR

Franz

0 Kudos
FMcNu1
Valued Contributor I

Hi Mclion:

Yes, posting your question to the community was a good way to go. Hopefully we find a pro who knows the answer.

As for your request for Privileged membership, I have asked someone to look into the status of your application since it appears to take longer than normal.

Felix

0 Kudos
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

Intel provides the mechanism to get to hardware video decode, but not the specific codecs. We fully support DXVA hardware acceleration, and work with all the major video player vendors to get their codecs to recognize that feature.

Intel does not provide codecs because there are patent owners who require royalties based on USE not capability. When you purchase a player, you get a license to use the patented decode processes.

If you are talking about a streaming media application, do you mean Adobe Flash? Yes, they have been slow to acknowledge the DXVA interface created by Microsoft for Windows. Hopefully that is changing as we see them starting to work on accelerating Flash Player but it is slow going as I do not think they understand the growing need for the capability. Intel understands, and we have done everything needed from our end to get this working, but now we need Adobe to follow through.

I hope this helps,

Kirk

0 Kudos
FLeu
Beginner

Kirk

No, its not Flash-based. These will be MPEG-2-TS streams that I can acutally display with a lot of players like VLC, MPC-HC, MPlayer ... just to name a few.

However, none of the Codecs used by these players support DXVA to use the HW possibilities Poulsbo offers.

As mentioned before, Cyberlink programs do not support to play/show IP streams - these are 'local DVD/file' Mediaplayers only. I am in contact with Cyberlink to maybe get their Codec which supports DXVA on Poulsbo to use with some of the other players.

Unfortunately, the Microsoft msmpeg2vdec.dll that supports DXVA1 as well and ships with Vista and Win7 can not be used with XP - at least I could not set this up since trying to register this dll in XP returns an error.

Any further suggestions are highly welcome.

@Felix_M

Just to let you know ... nothing happened so far.

Franz

0 Kudos
FMcNu1
Valued Contributor I

Hello, Franz:

Sorry for the delayed answer about your request for Privileged account. I asked again my colleagues at Intel to check out your application status.

Regards

Felix

0 Kudos
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

Franz,

We have efforts internally to educate the market on the use of hardware decode on platforms like the US15W. Releated to that, DIVX recently announced support for "GMA500" hardware decode (one should assume via DXVA).

I find it odd that the player/codec providers have such as hard time using a standarized interface (DXVA is easy to use) that would provide much better capability across a wider variety of hardware platforms. It seems simple to do a DXVA query to see if HW decode exists and use it or go ahead and revert back to the CPU based sw decode.

Our best suggestion would be to "demand" the capability from the player company you will use for your product. In an OEM oppotunity, money speaks loudly.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos