Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics
1152 Discussions

UEFI Support for USB OTG on Atom E3800/Minnowboard Turbot

SCrop
Beginner

Hello,

I am working on a project to try and create a POC of a Win 10 IoT Device on Intel Atom using the Minnowboard Turbot (the Max successor). The critical aspect of this is really to try to get the Minnowboard to recognize one of the USB inputs as a USB Device and NOT a USB host.

I have looked at the schematics for the Minnowboard and tried to align them with the EFI to see if there is a way to enable (presumably through PCI) this capability without much success.

I have looked everywhere (Minnowboard.org, Microsoft, Intel [various sites on IoT and EFI Firmware Tools etc.], UEFI.org, ADIEngineering etc. but I have yet to find the User Guide or documentation to the Main EFI command menu options before the shell boots.

Through my own research I have found that there is a USB OTG setting in the EFI that changes USB from host to something called "PCI Mode".

What I want to establish is the following:

1. Does changing this setting in the EFI do anything of note on the Minnowboard? Is it a generic setting in the UEFI or is it actually wired up to something on the board?
  2. If it does change something then what does it change and how do I access the USB IO? I think the Fast Expansion Connector affords access to the USB "Device" capabilities on the Atom via PCI but again this is not clear. If it is I would like to know which pins on the Fast Expansion Connector need to be wired to (presumably a micro USB connector) to light up that Atom functionality.
  3. Lastly (I think) I need to know if by enabling the OTG capability AND attaching a micro USB connector to the Minnowboard this will enable the Windows 10 IoT Kernel to see the USB Device IO and enable out of the box stack configuration on the Minnowboard. Microsoft says that if Windows sees a USB Device (not Host) in EFI then it will do the right thing. I need to know if it does and what I may need to do if not (e.g. do I need any Intel Drivers or do I have to write something?

I am a little disappointed that USB device support in these maker boards is lacking and that for some reason the focus for USB is on Host functionality which is not what I would think is important (except for development purposes) for most IoT devices. I know Wifi and NFC are likely target solution areas but I would think even with Apps like in Car or Kiosk apps where I can understand a host requirement, that OTG would also be needed.

[Sorry for the rant ;-)]

I thank you in advance for any pointers or help on this. I would rather know that this is not a good platform for Device development using an Atom E3800 product ASAP and if not what other POC boards does Intel recommend?

Cheers!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello Stcroppe,

Thank you for contacting the Intel Embedded Community.

We suggest you verify that the board manufacturer has implemented on their design the workarounds of the errata VLI5, VLI6, VLI8, VLI9, VLI17, VLI19, from VLI20 to VLI28, VLI38, from VLI44 to VLI48, VLI53, VLI56, VLI70, VLI72, VLI78, VLI80, VLI83, and VLI84. This information is stated on pages 14, 15, from 17 to 22, 24, from 26 to 29, and from 32 to 36 of the http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/specification-updates/atom-e3800-family-spec-update.pdf Intel(R) Atom(TM) Processor E3800 Specification Update document # 329901.

We hope that this information may help you.

Best Regards,

Carlos_A.

CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello Stcroppe,

By the way from the Intel perspective, Windows 10 is unlisted as a supported Operating System (OS) for the Intel(R) Atom(TM) Processor E3800 Product Family. This information is stated on page 3 of the http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/platform-briefs/atom-processor-e3800-platform-brief.pdf Platform Brief: Intel(R) Atom(TM) Processor E3800 Product Family document # 329621.

Due to this fact, please verify with the manufacturer of the mentioned board that they have tested and validated this OS. Also, if these processes have been approved from their side, they should give you the proper drivers and further support for their product.

We hope that this information may help you.

Best Regards,

Carlos_A.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

This will require a bios change, I would use the Yocto Kernel BSP, and run Windows 10 embedded on top of the stack, that is a more pure solution not dependent on suppliers

0 Kudos
LVenk1
Beginner

@SCorp​ 

I too have similar issue with my e3900 series board. Can you please tell me how did you resolved this issue.

Thank you in advance.

Regards

Lokesh

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @LVenk1​:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

Could you please clarify if your communication is related to the following thread?

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004aGKBISA4/how-to-make-e3930-based-board-to-reflect-as-a-usb-device-over-usb-otg-port

We are waiting for your clarification.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos