Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics
1152 Discussions

Windows XP : Appears Blank Screen in SVDO Configuration using IEGD(Version 10.3.1) for US15W

ssam3
Beginner

Hi Team,

We want to bring up the CRT display in US15W chipset using IEGD Software driver in Windows XP.

We use Chrontel CH7317A for coverting SDVO to VGA. We followed the instructions provided in the IEGD User Manual and created the driver file and installed the same.

We see the BIOS Screen coming in CRT and also "Windows Starting...." message coming in CRT. After that we expect the login screen, but we see a black screen. Looks like the windows has booted up properly, its only the display is not coming up properly. We also hear the Windows startup audio.

The Screen shot of configuration and package is attached along with this message. The INF file is also renamed as .txt file and attached.

It would be really great, if anyone help us out in this regard.

Please do the needful.

Thanks,

Ruth

0 Kudos
21 Replies
IRath
Beginner

Hi Ruth,

I tried the same IEGD configuration (as per your document) in my board which has US15W with Chrontel CH7317 chip. The driver works fine without any problem. I confirmed the operation with IEGD 10.2 and IEGD 10.3.1. Please check with your BIOS or hardware.

I attached iegd.inf file generated in IEGD 103.1 CED for your reference and comparison.

Regards, Imman

0 Kudos
ssam3
Beginner

Hi Imman,

Thanks for your great effort !!!!

I tried using your conf, but it still doesn't work. Can you please clarify the following

- Generating Video BIOS and updating Video BIOS is it mandatory

- When we update Video BIOS using the executable "iegdstr.exe ", I see no message getting displayed in the DOS screen and when I restart the target no effect I see the same Issue.

- We simply execute "Setup.exe" inside the utilities directory and restart the machine when it asks for. And I would also like to know my installation procedure is right.

- Do we have any dependency on the BIOS for the Graphics driver to work properly, if so what are those.

Can you please give me some more inputs on what else we can try to root cause and fix this Issue.

Thanks,

Senthil.

0 Kudos
CSa
Beginner

Hello Ruth,

Perhaps the problem is more simple. Sometimes happens, that the Graphic mode of the system is changed, God knows why, to an undesired one and then you can not see anything, but the system is still running. You can change this mode by pressing a Key combination CTRL+ ALT+F1 should be VGA, CTRL+ ALT+F2 is LVDS... You can try it. Regards,

Miguel

0 Kudos
ssam3
Beginner

Hi Miguel,

Indeed this is a good Idea, thank you very much !!!

We will try this option and let you know the observation soon.

Thanks,

Senthil.

0 Kudos
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

IEGDTSR is a terminate and stay resident (in memory) to Ttest (in DOS) VBIOS changes BEFORE updating the VBIOS. It does not program the VBIOS- you need your BIOS binary, the tool to update it and a flash utility to do an update like this. The User's Guide for IEGD is very clear on this.

A VBIOS update is highly unlikely if you have a VBIOS that already supports the startup display.

IEGD does not support hot keys so unless that hot key sequence is a Windows thing that I have never heard about (possible) then it is likely the GMA driver hotkey sequence.

With windows starting up BLANK sounds like the display has reverted to outputing to the LVDS which may be the default case.

It is not clear if you have installed your configured IEGD driver- if you have, there is probably an issue with it causing the driver to resort to default situation which is LVDS as the primary.

You could try an F8 just at boot then start up in VGA mode and reinstall the IEGD driver which could correct your issue. If you tried to install IEGD over the TOP of a GMA driver, you can really confuse things. The Users Guide recommends uninstalling any exisiting drivers BEFORE installing IEGD.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
ssam3
Beginner

Hi Kirk and others,

We asked American Mega Trends to update our BIOS with the VBIOS binary generated.

But at the same time we are trying to test this with IEGDSTR exectable, but no luck.

Here are steps we tried

- We booted the machine in VGA mode by pressing F8 key.

- We made sure that no drivers are installed before our installation.

- We opened a dos window and exected IEGDSTR in the dos window, and we don't see any text in the screen.

- Keeping this dos window aside we tried installing the display driver using "Device Manager"->"Display Adapters" -> "Update Driver" and we pointed to the "IEGD_10_3_Windows\Driver" directory and it also shows the driver was installed properly.

- But when we went to display properties and changes the screen resolution to 800x600 and color depth to 8-bit mode and apply, the screen appears blank

- Or if we reboot the system immediately after the installation of driver, it says "Windows starting"... and after that it shows a blank screen (Same old Issue)

- We connected both the VGA and LVDS interface parallely. Its definitely not switching to LVDS during this transition as the LVDS is also displays none

Can you please let me know what needs to be done.

Thanks,

Senthil

0 Kudos
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

A dos box under Windows in not the same thing as real, actual DOS.

The F8 thing would allow you to boot up clean in VGA mode in order to cleanly install the IEGD driver. It does not need anything special from the VBIOS to function- it totally ignores the VBIOS settings by design.

The IEGDTSR can be used to verify many of the settings of the VBIOS before buring but only from a true DOS setting. A dos box does NOT run VBIOS, all video calls are sent to Windows and the BIOS does not come into play at all. Please use some form of DOS boot to use IEGDTSR.

Kirk

0 Kudos
ssam3
Beginner

Hi Kirk,

We are using Windows XP and we don't see the DOS Mode boot option while pressing F8 key, hence we booted using a windows 98 boot disk and went in to pure DOS. Then we executed this executable, and we don't see any prints in the screen and no output.

We are clueless, can you please give us some more inputs.

Thanks,

Ruth

0 Kudos
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

There is soething wrong with your configuration then. Go back into CED and look carefully at your config- something is causing either the driver to default to LVDS, or you have it set up oddly such that you are enabling the SDVO but it can't put out video.

0 Kudos
ssam3
Beginner

Hi Kirk,

We double checked our configuration. My configuration was posted as a word document in my first post of this thread.

Can you kindly look at the configuration and let me know we are missing anything.

Sorry for bothering you..

Thanks,

Ruth.

0 Kudos
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

The config looks OK.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Are you definitely using a Chrontel CH7317 for your VGA?

2. How is added to the system? On the board, or add-in? Add-in cards tend to support the needed firmware handling for the CH7317.

I do have a couple of things to try:

1. Set "Display detect" to disable. We have seen some implementations of the Chrontel part not work for the display detection for some reason.

2. Just in case, go ahead an add the LVDS into the port order as the second device. You can let it default to all the recommended settings.

0 Kudos
ssam3
Beginner

Hi Kirk,

We confirmed the chipset in the board as CH7317A and it is on-board.

We checked with Display Detection disabled but no luck, we also checked adding LVDS as second device with the default recommended settings but that also doesn't help !!!!

We are totally clueless, can you please give us more inputs.

Thanks,

Ruth

0 Kudos
ssam3
Beginner

Hi Kirk,

One more observation.

We see the following errors in iegd_crg.log when we execute iegd_crg.exe

ERROR while sending INTEL_ESCAPE_GET_CURRENT_DC escape keyERROR: Can't get current dcFunction: GET_ROT_STATUS, Exit Code: EXIT_OS_CALL_ERROR ============================Function: GET_EDID_INFOThe printer name is invalid.

ERROR while sending INTEL_ESCAPE_GET_CURRENT_DC escape keyERROR: Can't get current dcFunction: GET_EDID_INFO, Exit Code: EXIT_OS_CALL_ERROR ============================Function: GET_CURRENT_DCThe printer name is invalid.

ERROR while sending INTEL_ESCAPE_GET_CURRENT_DC escape keyFunction: GET_CURRENT_DC, Exit Code: EXIT_OS_CALL_ERROR ============================Function: GET_DISP_PORT_MAPPINGThe printer name is invalid.

ERROR while sending INTEL_ESCAPE_GET_CURRENT_DC escape keyFunction: GET_DISP_PORT_MAPPING, Exit Code: EXIT_OS_CALL_ERROR ============================Function: GET_REG_INFO

Can you kindly check if this gives any clue. I have also attached the log for your reference.

Thanks,

Ruth

0 Kudos
ssam3
Beginner

Hello All,

Can you please look at my recent posts and give us some comments/suggestion to proceed further.

We are clue less. Kindly do the needful.

Thanks,

Ruth

0 Kudos
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

That seems to indicate that the IEGD driver is NOT installed properly. You may want to uninstall wahtever have installed as the graphics driver now, reboot with the F8 key and select VGA Mode, then reinstall IEGD using the SETUP utility.

There is something failing to load the driver properly.

0 Kudos
JTo
Beginner

Hi Ruth,

Have you tried using GMA driver and see if this problem goes away? we think it is still a IEGD driver bug. We have encountered same problem (screen goes blank after XPe splash screen) to VGA when Ch7317 is used on Menlow platform. At that time we were using older IEGD drivers (versions prior to 10.2). This issue was escalated and there was a subsequent driver update from Intel to 10.2.1 to address this issue. however, since your symptom appears with 10.3.1, and 10.3.x should have carried over all fixes from previous IEGD driver releases. i have a feeling that Intel didn't fix it completely. Are you seeing this on all the boards you have? I suggest you can try to escalate through your Intel FAE and see if another driver update can be performed.

0 Kudos
ssam3
Beginner

Hi JT,

Thanks for your info!!!.

We have already tried the GMA driver, it didn't worked still. Let me try with Intel FAE and get back to you.

Thanks,

Ruth

0 Kudos
ssam3
Beginner

Hi Kirk,

We formated the disk and installed the XP freshly and we tried this driver, we still see the problem and iegd_crg.log shows the same.

I presume there is an Issue in IEGD software as JT also faced the same Issue. Can you comment on this. Can you also confirm the Issue which was fixed for "JT" is carried over to 10.3

We are really disappointed by the support given by the Intel Team, sorry to say that.

Thanks,

Ruth

0 Kudos
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

Sorry you feel that way about our support. It is understandable because we do not see this issue with our validation and cannot reproduce your issue on any board we have in house. It is impossible for us to test on every board that is made and although we try, it is impossible for us to anticipate every board design problem in the driver.

This forum is designed for "best effort" support. Our full support is available with the Intel Premier Support System if you compant qualifies to be a part of that support mechanism. You should try to get into the Premier Support system for best support.

0 Kudos
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

Is is possible that a GMA driver was accidentally installed during the XP install process. It is very important that the VGA driver be running when IEGD is installed for the first time or the install may fail like it appears here. This is a common mistake that occurs.

0 Kudos