Embedded Intel® Core™ Processors
Communicate Intel® Core™ Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics Concerns

82580 eeprom FW

HSakm
Beginner

Hello,

we designed a board with an 82580EB (4 ports) on, we have placed an eeprom (AT25256B) and a flash (AT25SF081) next to it. We use 3 of these 4 ports and 1 is left unconnected.

After signing the CNDA we received the FWs for the eeprom, and we used "eeupdatew64e" to update our eeprom with the FW we selected (.hex) version.

After this update we got "successful" message and we started seeing "Intel(R) 82580 Gigabit Network Connection" in Device Manager of Windows (Windows 10). Before this FW update we were seeing this device as "other devices", so I believe we successfully managed to get the FW update done.

But now we have the attached window as the "device managers" list (we correctly have three devices) and when we double click on one of the 82580 lines we get the message (also can be seen in the attached window) :

This device cannot start (Code 10)

{Operation failed}

The requested operation was unsuccessful.

Is this a driver issue ? (we use driver version 23.2 for windows)

Or is this a HW issue like flash maynot be reached or something like that?

Thank you in advance

Kind regards.

Hakan

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MJeff
New Contributor I

Hi Hakan

Yes you need to program a MAC address into each interface.

to Do this, use eeupdate /nic=x /mac=

Where the nic is one of the 82580 interfaces.

running eeupdate on its own will list the nic numbers.

Regards

Mark

View solution in original post

22 Replies
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, Hsakman_69:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

We suggest you verify that you have followed the guidelines that answer the questions 18, 26, 27, and 16; on pages 7, 8, and 9 of the https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/faqs/82580eb-82580db-gbe-lan-controller-faq.pdf Intel(R) 82580EB/82580DB GbE LAN Controller Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).

We hope that this information may help you.

Best regards,

Carlos_A.

0 Kudos
HSakm
Beginner

Dear Carlos,

many thanks for your reply, we checked the FAQ and the points you mentioned but these are not related to the issue we have.

We cannot get teh devices start and we think more and more that this is a driver issue since which ever driver we load on our host we see that our current driver does not change:

It is always : 12.15.22.6 from date: 05/04/2016 & Driver Provider is Windows.

This led us to believe that the driver package we received for windows10, does not have the correct driver for 82580, but only for 82579 and 82576.

Please view the two attachments from our screenshots.

Can you please send us the correct driver for Windows 10?

Kind regards.

Hakan

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, Hsakman_69:

Thanks for your reply.

We suggest you verify that the Operating System related to this situation is listed on page 5 of the https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-briefs/82580-gbe-controller-brief.pdf Intel(R) 82580 Gigabit Ethernet Controller: Product Brief document # 323205.

We hope that this information is useful to you.

Best regards,

Carlos_A.

HSakm
Beginner

Dear Carlos,

thanks for your mail, I sincerely thought that the product brief was forgotten to be updated. Is Windows 10 driver planned for 82580? Since you have it for 82576 and 82579 I assume you would also plan for this.

We are using a smarc2.0 module which only can run win10 on it and the 82580 is connnected to the smarc module's PCIe x1 interface on our carrier board.

How do you suggest that we should proceed? We also have some "celo" tool results that I would like to share with you, so we would appreciate if you could get in touch with me via e-mail.

Kind regards.

Hakan

0 Kudos
MJeff
New Contributor I

Hi Hsakman

Don't think it is a driver issue as I have 2 82580 devices both running the 12.15.22.6 driver under Windows 10 Professional.

82580 devices have a x4 PCIe link and are programmed with 82580_4_Copper_No_Mng_3.29 firmware.

HSakm
Beginner

Dear MarkJeff,

thank you very much for your post. I am fighting with this issue for some couple of weeks now, so I am very happy to receive responses/suggestions.

What we did is that we designed a carrier board that has smarc2.0 on it, we use one of the PCIe x1 buses of this smarc modüle and connected our 82580EB to it on our carrier board. On the other side of the 82580EB we have two GigE devices and one 100 ETH device. As you said we used the 82580_4_Copper_No_Mng_3.29 firmware too using the eeupdatew64e tool.

How many devices you have on the ETH side of each 82580? Do you see a similar window when you open your device manager like in attached? Or do you see the other devices under some other names instead of "82580 Gigabit Network Connnection" that we see three times, please refer to the attachment that I included in my first post, sorry I cannot attach it again here in this post.

Kind regards.

Hakan

0 Kudos
MJeff
New Contributor I

Hi Hakan

I have 4 connections on each device so I device manager there are 8 82580 devices listed as per your picture but without the warning triangle.

Checking the properties says the device is working properly.

Have you tried running the DIAGS.EXE program from intel as this may give you more information.

another thought have you programmed MAC addresses into the 2 interfaces you are using.

Regards

Mark

HSakm
Beginner

Dear Mark,

thanks again for your help.

It is nice to see that we are on the right track, but with warning triangles

We will certainly run this diags.exe you mentioned. About your other question we did not give any mac addresses into the three interfaces (2 GigE & 1 100 ETH). We reckoned the 82580_4_Copper_No_Mng_3.29.hex firmware provided these three MAC addresses. Are we on the wrong thinking here? How do we programme the MAC addresses?

To give you a brief history, we had empty eeproms on our carrier board, and we programmed the eeprom with 82580_4_Copper_No_Mng_3.29.hex firmware using the eeupdatew64e tool and immediately started to see the three 82580 devices listed but with warning triangles, after power cycle.

I am sure we didnot perform some steps we should have.

Kind regards.

Hakan

0 Kudos
MJeff
New Contributor I

Hi Hakan

Yes you need to program a MAC address into each interface.

to Do this, use eeupdate /nic=x /mac=

Where the nic is one of the 82580 interfaces.

running eeupdate on its own will list the nic numbers.

Regards

Mark

HSakm
Beginner

Dear Mark,

thanks a lot for this great help, setting the MAC addresses was the missing bit. We tried your suggestion immediately and now we got rid of the warning triangle and can start the devices OK.

Many thanks again.

Kind regards.

Hakan

0 Kudos
HSakm
Beginner

Hi again,

We have established connection with our devices connected to 82580EB and now we have difficulty with ethernet speeds.

We are using three ports of 82580EB, 1st and 2md ports should operate at 1000Mbit and 3rd port should operate at 100Mbit. We are using the 82580_4_Copper_No_Mng_3.29 firmware.

We set mac addresses for each port, do we need to do anything else for reaching the speeds we desire?

Kind regards.

Hakan

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, Hsakman_69 :

Thanks for your reply.

It is important to let you know that the MAC address is unrelated to speed.

Due to this fact, Could you please give us a detailed description of the problems that your design is being experienced?

Waiting for your clarification.

Best regards,

Carlos_A.

0 Kudos
HSakm
Beginner

Dear Carlos,

sorry for my wrong wording due to haste.

Yes I know that mac address setting has nothing to do with speed. I wanted state the steps taken uptil now, i.e. using eeupdate tool 82580_4_copper_No_Mng_3.29 FW is loaded into eeprom, and then we set the mac addresses of the three ports we use.

To give you more detail:

We use three of the available four ports of the 82580EB.

Port0 is connected to a 1000 Base-T device

Port1 is connected to a 1000 Base-T device

Port2 is connected to a 100 Base-T device

Since all these devices are on the same PCB, we used the magneticless-connection solution, provided in the attached document, and now we have all three ports running at 100 Base-T speed.

Is there a way to run 82580EB at 1000 Base-T using this magneticless-connection solution? Is there an additional setting we skipped?

Your comments would be most appreciated.

Kind regards.

Hakan

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, Hsakman_69:

Thanks for your update.

We suggest you verify that your implementation fulfills with the requirements stated in sections 3.5.1 (configurations), 8.2.3(Link_Mode bits of the Extended Device Control Register), and 9.4.2 ; on pages 105, 390, and 566 of the https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/82580-eb-db-gbe-controller-datasheet.pdf Intel(R) 82580EB/82580DB Gigabit Ethernet Controller Datasheet document # 333167.

Also, the guidelines stated in the https://cdrdv2.intel.com/v1/dl/getContent/480093 Intel(R) 82580/I350/I210 Magnetic-Less LAN Design Guide document # 480093, which is accessible when you are logged into your Resource and Design Center (RDC) privileged account.

This account can be requested by filling out the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/forms/design/contact-support.html RDC Account Support form.

Best regards,

Carlos_A.

0 Kudos
HSakm
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

thank you for your support, I will check the sections you mentioned deeper.

For the document # 480093 we filled in the RDC Account Support form about a week ago but didnot receive the document yet, is it usual that it takes such time?

Kind regards.

Hakan

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, Hsakman_69:

Thanks for your reply.

Reviewing you answer, it seems that you are confused. Please let me paraphrase, the RDC Account Support form should be filled to update your account to privileged. Due to this fact, the suggested document is accessible to you once you have an RDC privileged account and it is not provided by RDC account support team.

We hope that this information may clarify my previous message and help you to understand the proper process to access the recommended document.

Best regards,

Carlos_A.

0 Kudos
HSakm
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

yes we filled in the form but didnot hear from RDC account support team that our account is turned into privileged. I will be asking my colleague to check. Thank you.

Kind regards.

Hakan

0 Kudos
HSakm
Beginner

Hi again Carlos,

we made the request on 5th October for the privileged account access, but my colleague (user name : fblatt) lately received this:

Good day!

We would like to inform you that our team are currently working with your request to have an access to the document number 480093. We will make a follow-up on October 16, nevertheless, as soon as we received an update. Thank you for your patience with regards to this matter. Have a great day!

Best regards,

And when he tries to access document 480093 he reads "additional permissions required". Who can help please? Kind regards. Hakan
0 Kudos
HSakm
Beginner

Dear Carlos,

I checked the sections you outlined in the datasheet, and here are my findings:

Device ID is read as 0x150E (which is Quad port 10/100/1000 Mb/s Ethernet controller PCIe x4, copper, which is our intended operation

hence the LinkMode bits (ExtendedDeviceControlRegister bit23 & bit22) are "00".

The issue we have is that we can not reach 1000 Mbps, (100Mbps is what we can reach max) even though the other devices are 1000Mbps capable as well. The second issue we have is that the 100Mbps links are sometimes breaking.

Anything we can do to improve the situation by using some settings?

Kind regards.

Hakan

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, Hsakman_69:

Thanks for your reply.

In order to help you, we suggest you address all your consultations related to this thread by filling out the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/secure/forms/design-assistance.html Embedded Design Assistance form.

Best regards,

Carlos_A.

0 Kudos