Embedded Intel® Core™ Processors
Communicate Intel® Core™ Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics Concerns
1202 Discussions

Accessing BIOS Flash on Whiskey Lake RVP Customer Reference Board Using DediProg (SF600)

tallu
New Contributor I

Hi

1) Document number 595776 talks about flashing BIOS via J3H1.

However I haven't found RVP schemtaics/image which shows the location of this connector.

Is there such?

2) There are 2 matching connectors on the RVP. So I've tried both to detect chip using DediProg SF600 on Ubuntu 18.04 and I'm trying to detect chip with the following command "sudo dpcmd -d" but I get "Error: chip not identified."

Any Ides?

Regards,

Tal

0 Kudos
8 Replies
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @tallu:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

The J3H1 listed in your previous message is a location. You can find the cited jumper using the marks located in the Customer Reference Board (CRB) Printed Circuit Board (PCB), as is showed as a reference in the attached picture. This location is a kind of ordered pair, which is generally referenced to axes located in the borders of the PCB.

On the other hand, your consultations of the mentioned programmer should be addressed as a reference to the channel listed on the following website:

https://www.dediprog.com/inquiry

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
tallu
New Contributor I

Hi @CarlosAM_INTEL 

I haven't found this jumpers.

I'm attaching a some images of the RVP.

Can you point to it?

Regards,

Tal

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @tallu:

Thanks for your reply.

We have received your picture.

However, we want your help with a better picture of the CRB portion showed in the attached picture.

Could you please send it?

We are waiting for your answer.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
tallu
New Contributor I

Hi @CarlosAM_INTEL 

Attached are more pictures.

Hopefully they are good enough.

Notice that there are 2 matching connectors (I've sent a picture of both).

One connector is close to some SPI flash so maybe it is the one to use for BIOS burning but the other has SF600 printed close to it so maybe it is the one to use for BIOS burning.

Regards,

Tal

0 Kudos
tallu
New Contributor I

Hi @CarlosAM_INTEL 

Attached is a clearer image of the connector (now I can see J3H1 written close to the connector).

Still for some reason both dpcmd and flashrom are unable to detect the chip.

Am I missing something?

Is there a jumper to toggle in order to be able to detect the chip?

Regards,

Tal

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @tallu:

We are glad that you find the connector.

You should follow all steps stated in section 4.3, on pages 19 and 20 of the Whiskey Lake U Platform RVP Customer Reference Board User Guide document # 595776. You can find this document when you are logged into your Resource and Design Center (RDC) privileged account on the following website:

https://cdrdv2.intel.com/v1/dl/getContent/595776

You should fill out the form stated on the following website when you have problems with the provided website or want to update your RDC account:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/forms/support/my-intel-sign-on-support.html

By the way, we suggest verifying that the software and its version are proper for the cited programming tool as a reference please review the information stated on the following website:

https://www.dediprog.com/product/SF600

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
tallu
New Contributor I

Hi @CarlosAM_INTEL 

I've found the problem.

I tried detecting the device after powering off it CRB but it works only when I pull the power plug out.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Regards,

Tal

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @tallu:

Thanks for sharing your solution.

We are glad that you have found the solution to your problem.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again if you have any problem related to Intel Embedded devices.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos