Embedded Intel® Core™ Processors
Communicate Intel® Core™ Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics Concerns
1204 Discussions

Are you familiar with Intel® ISX?

Olaf_M_Intel
Employee

Do you know what http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/intelligent-systems/intelligent-system-extended-modular-board-design.html Intel® ISX actually is? It's a way to speed development time with the flexibility of modular board design. There is a myriad of possibilities to take advantage of ISX. I am actually interested as to why you find ISX intriguing and how it would benefit you personally.

Currently we (Intel) has 2 development kits available (there will be more soon). Here is http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/intelligent-systems/evaluation-platforms/core-i5-4400e-qm87-development-kit.html one to get you started!

What compelling device will you develop more quickly using modular board design?

How do the development kits fit into the overall picture of the Internet of Things (Iot)? If you have any questions about ISX, please let me know.

-Olaf

43 Replies
jIvan
Beginner

Dear Olaf/Lynnz,

What kind of PMIC does have "Intel® ISX Development Kit with Intel® Atom™ processor E3815" on development board?

Best Regards.

0 Kudos
Olaf_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Jokol,

The PMIC and how to debug it is referenced in the schematics. I have, however not seen any further elaboration on it. To review the schematics you will need a CNDA in place.

Thanks,

Olaf

0 Kudos
Natalie_Z_Intel
Employee

Joko, the document you need is # 543569 and is called, System Reference Design Schematic and Board File. As Olaf mentioned, it is classified as Intel Confidential. You will need an EDC account with Privileged access. You can log into your account, and edit your profile. From there you will see "Upgrade to Privileged" to apply. However, if you prefer, let me know if you would like assistance in applying to establish a CNDA or if you would like to be connected with an Intel representative to discuss your project and also assist in the CNDA process.

Lynn.

0 Kudos
jIvan
Beginner

Hi LynnZ,

We have already the CNDA but we can't access the document # 543569.

Best regards.

0 Kudos
Natalie_Z_Intel
Employee

Hello, Joko! I will have EDC Support contact you to help you through applying for a Privileged account. You currently have a Basic EDC role, but a Privileged account is needed to access the content.

0 Kudos
jIvan
Beginner

HI LynnZ,

I know that this acc doesn't have the rights. I have an other acc (acc name: dubravkosrsan) and we have singed the CNDA with Intel, but when I login with the acc then I don't have a Replay button on this threadto replay you nor can I start a discussion. . Can You pleas contact me in the inbox here on the forum (or can I contact you on mailto:webadmin@intel.com webadmin@intel.com ) where can I find the documents for ISX and are there also available the el. schematics for the ISX?

Best Regards.

0 Kudos
Natalie_Z_Intel
Employee

Hello! I was able to align your information with an Intel representative who covers your geographical territory. This person will contact you within 2 business days to assist in getting you the document that you need. In the meantime, if you have any questions about ISX post them here and Olaf, our expert, will be happy to address your questions. Lynn

0 Kudos
RAtlu
Beginner

Hi Lynnz

No access. 3 Months down, we still are where we started. Sad but this always happens in my region. Can you get me to talk to someone in USA? I can get my counterpart in USA to talk to the USA Intel team.

0 Kudos
Natalie_Z_Intel
Employee

Rahul, I am so sorry! I have reached out to the person who covers your territory to find out what happened. I sent you a separate email yesterday. Please respond back with your USA counterpart's information and I will also have a representative contact him/her. Again, I apologize for this delay. Lynn

0 Kudos
RAtlu
Beginner
0 Kudos
RAtlu
Beginner

Dear OLAF

Lynn is helping us out. Can you tell us what changes are required in ISX designs to make it compatible with E3845

We just need 1 x display, 1 x usb 3.0 and 1 x lan (pop ram, 16gb flash)

When you thermal solution (do we require a larger passive heatsink or fan?)

Thanks

0 Kudos
Olaf_M_Intel
Employee

Hello,

The reference design is compatible with E3845. There should not be a need to make changes to the BIOS. That being said, as you intend to make more modifications to the I/O some changes may become necessary. This actually depends on your very design.

The fundamental idea of ISX is to enable people to create their own solution. So the changes you want to make to the design are possible.

It is more than likely that the thermal solution for this processor/ design is different, however at this point I cannot make a judgment on this.

I suggest you obtain access to our design guide and other necessary collateral to get a better insight.

An Intel representative is going to contact you to assist/ obtain further information about your design.

Thanks,

Olaf

idata
Employee

Hi!

When will a Skylake based ISX be available? I have looked through the RVP designs for Skylake and they tend to be very general - making it very hard to follow signal paths for instance. A lot of zero ohm resistors etc. In that sense I find the Hans Island(Haswell based) ISX design much better. Seems to be more straight to the point and simplified.

As I understand it is not possible to order the RVPs. I prefer to have HW on my desk with corresponding schematics and layout files for evaluation.

So ideally I would like a Skylake(H) based ISX design which I can order with corresponding schematics(Orcad) and layout(.brd) files.

Regards,

Ivo Ninive

HW designer

0 Kudos
Natalie_Z_Intel
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes, trying to get an overview of the complexity of an Intel design. Have never developed Intel based boards before. Skylake seems to be the family we are heading for.

I get the impression that some of the Skylake RVP designs already have been produced - but probably without a processor on it?

I have looked at the boards you mentioned above. One of them is the Hans Island board. I have received the complete documentation. Looks very good;)

A general question related to HW: I always have problems finding really low level and detailed HW communities/discussion forums etc. All tends to focus more on high level stuff. Is there some place on the Intel site I can find this? I haven't found anything on embedded communities. Is there some other good communities on the web perhaps?

Topics I am very curious about:

- Relationship between Embedded controller(EC), PCH, sleep modes and BIOS.

- Power sequencing, reset sequence

- Power rail gating vs. sleep modes

... and more

Regards,

Ivo

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hello ivoninive

Most of the really low level Hardware details for our platforms are in the Product Design Guidelines (PDG) or External Design Specifications (EDS) documents, these documents are Intel® Confidential, customers that have access to these information have Non-Disclosure Agreement in place so unfortunately these kind of information cannot be freely discussed in forums or communities.

I might suggest that you apply for an EDC Privileged account with us following these steps:

1) Go to http://edc.intel.com/ http://edc.intel.com and login using your Basic credentials. (SIGN IN is located in the upper right of the page).

2) The go to https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/intelligent-systems/embedded-design-center-contact-us.html https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/intelligent-systems/embedded-design-center-contact-us.html and you will see MANAGE YOUR INTEL EDC ACCOUNT.

3) Click on MANAGE MY INTEL PROFILE

4) You should see an option to UPGRADE to PRIVILEGED. Complete and submit the form.

5) Let me know when you have done this. I will coordinate getting your application reviewed as quickly as possible.

In that way we could give you the information that you might need to solve your doubts.

Best Regards,

Adolfo.

idata
Employee

Thanks for reply, AdolfoS

I actually already have access to the documents on EDC, but it would be good to have someone to discuss the stuff with. I understand of course that you don't want to have all these details exposed in forums.

Ivo

0 Kudos
Natalie_Z_Intel
Employee

Hello, Ivo. Sorry for the delay. I have been trying to locate your representative. If you know your representative please ask him/her about early access to Skylake collateral, samples, CRBs, etc. I will continue to try to track down your representative, though. LynnZ.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, as mentioned above I already have access to these documents etc.

0 Kudos
Natalie_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi, Ivo. I sent you a separate email with your representative information. He will be contacting you soon! Lynn

0 Kudos
ZDuki
Beginner

Hi Olaf,

I don't have a privileged access yet. I've applied for it, but seems to me that this procedure takes to long to complete.

I'm interested in a Intel® ISX Evaluation Kit: 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-4400E processor with Mobile Intel® QM87 Chipset. I'm at the begining of a project where I need to have the Core i5 reference design. Can you help me with this issue? Is it possible to speed up this registration procedure?

Best Regards,

Zoran Dukić

0 Kudos