Embedded Intel® Core™ Processors
Communicate Intel® Core™ Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics Concerns

BLDK under Ubuntu

SLimi
New Contributor I

I know the BLDK documentation calls out Fedora, but I would like to build the BLDK in Ubuntu. I have resolved some setup issues for rpm and UUID, and the BLDK application runs. The issue I am having is that a Build errors on variables set and not used. Please see attachements. The first build was with Crown Bay out of the box. The second build was after a clean of the Crown Bay project, different variables set but not used errors were found.

Is there some other package to be installed for Ubuntu?

Is there a setting to ignore ths type of build error?

Is bash shell prefered over dash shell?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
FMcNu1
Valued Contributor I

Hello and welcome to the Intel® Embedded Community,

Have you had any success with this? The Intel BLDK team looked at it and provided the response below.

By reviewing those log files, this is apparent that the Ubuntu build library is not compatible with Fedora. At this point, we do not have any plan to include the Ubuntu tool-chain. Please use Fedora, as guided by the release-note as well as Getting Started Guide.

No big surpise here since you already know that Ubuntu is not a supported release and direct help from Intel will come only on the officially supported releases.

You might consider trying one of the member companies in the ecosystem, the Intel® Embedded Alliance. One company I know does customization work around BLDK is Ircona. See link below. I'm not endorsing them, I just know of them.

https://www.intelcommsalliance.com/kshowcase/view/view_profile/f30df7e1b72bd371d748e3fed84797be0367a348?classification=system https://www.intelcommsalliance.com/kshowcase/view/view_profile/f30df7e1b72bd371d748e3fed84797be0367a348?classification=system

Here's the complete roster of member companies. You can search for software and services in here:

http://www.intel.com/design/network/ica/index.htm http://www.intel.com/design/network/ica/index.htm

I hope this helps.

Felix

J. Felix McNulty

Community Moderator (Intel contractor)

0 Kudos
SLimi
New Contributor I

The BLDK is derived from the UDK2010. The UDK2010 supports Ubuntu. The UDK2010 readme file calls out Ubuntu, thus my question about Ubuntu support for the BLDK.

I have not had to chance to dig into this further. My guess is that I have something setup wrong or missing, and I need to look at the setup instructions on Tianocore.org, which looks more complete

Are they saying that they compiled one of the binaries so it will not work under another OS? Or are they confirming that I have something missing?

-Sean

0 Kudos
FMcNu1
Valued Contributor I

Sean

I don't think they did anything deliberate to disable another OS. What they are saying is simply that they aren't going to dig into it because they only spend resources on the supported releases. This is common practice.If you choose to use an unsupported environment, you are in uncharted territory. Hopefully another user in the community may have achieved what you're trying to do.

Sorry can't be of more help.

Felix

0 Kudos
FMcNu1
Valued Contributor I

Sean -

If you're still looking for help with this, one of my Intel BLDK colleagues came forth with the suggestion to use the GCC complier option "-Wunused-but-set-parameter" to supress those compiler errors you are seeing.

I hope this helps

Felix

0 Kudos
SLimi
New Contributor I

Felix,

Thanks. I hope to get back to this next week when I have a break from my current project.

-Sean

0 Kudos
SLimi
New Contributor I

Felix,

At long last I am finally circled back to this one. Where does this option get set in teh BLDK application?

-Sean

0 Kudos
SLimi
New Contributor I

After digging around into this, there are twoo many changes in the BLDK required to get a successful build of the firmware in Ubuntu.

0 Kudos
HS1
Novice

Hi Seanl,

I am also trying to build BLDK under Intel for Atom Processor (Baytrail). I modified the build.sh to use /bin/bash

And then it throw few errors - Invalid stage1.ld and stage2.ld files. When I checked those files manually, I can see "-e" is appended before "Memory". After manually removing "-e" from the .ld files, I am able to generate rom.bin successfully

My problem is that when I try to flash the rom.bin, it does not starts. When I compared the rom.bin generated with the BLDK and the one provided in the package, the difference in the new image is that 0xFF are placed in first 0x20 places, and then the image starts.

Following is my questions:

1) Is changing the shell to /bin/bash is correct way?

Can you suggest how to get a clean build as you have already done it yourself?

Looking forward for your suggestions

0 Kudos