Embedded Intel® Core™ Processors
Communicate Intel® Core™ Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics Concerns

Broadwell-DE support for MACsec?

WTeas
Beginner

We have a design that will use a COMe Type 7 with Broadwell-DE processor (EG: D-1559).

Based on experience, I believe using software AES256 or software MACsec implementation would not be possible at more than around 2Gbps, as this would be the limitation of any one core of this processor.

I would like to provide hardware based MACsec on 2 x 10G fibre interfaces (SFP+), such that the encryption is offloaded to the PHY to free up the CPU.

Table 9-3 of DOC 543448 Rev 2.2 lists PHYs supported by the 10G integrated Ethernet controllers of the D-1500 SOC, however the Inphy CS4227 PHY recommended does not provide MACsec.

Does Intel have any plans to support a MACsec enabled fibre PHY?

We are considering Microsemi PHY's for this purpose. Example PN: VSC8254

Is there any reason a Microsemi PHY will not work with the Broadwell-DE 10G Ethernet Controllers?

Our operating system is Fedora 27 (Linux) based.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, wteasdale:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

We suggest you verify that the desired configuration fulfills the guidelines stated in sections 10 and 10.3 of the https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/ethernet-x550-datasheet.pdf Intel(R) Ethernet Controller X550 Datasheet document # 333369.

We hope that this information will be useful.

Best regards,

Carlos_A.

0 Kudos
RBela
Beginner

Hi

Is it working with VSC8254 finally?

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

​Hello, @RBela​:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

In order to be on the same page, could you please let us know if you have follow our suggestion stated on our communication of this thread stated the past March 12th, 2018?

Waiting for your reply to this communication.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​. 

0 Kudos
RBela
Beginner

Hi

The question is not initially from me. But I want to know if he test with VSC8254 and make it works. We may use that part instead of cortina.

Rick

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @RBela​:

Thanks for your reply.

We hope @WTeas​ may answer your communication, however feel free to try our suggestion.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​. 

0 Kudos