Embedded Intel® Core™ Processors
Communicate Intel® Core™ Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics Concerns
1204 Discussions

License for CAD-UL toolchain for x386 protected-mode embedded development

BFalk
Beginner

We have used the Organon XDB386 debugger from CAD-UL on an old project (as part of the development toolchain for ISI pSOS). The disk on which the debugger was installed crashed a long time ago and now I need to do some additional development on that project.

It turns out that CAD-UL tools have been purchased by Intel (around 2001). I have been able to download a zip comprising the CAD-UL tools (from sunsite.rediris.es/pub/mirror/intel/design/intarch/SWSUP/). The tools function in "shareware" mode (limited to 2000 lines of code and 10 modules; this message is also shown by the debugger on startup).

The download comprises a document saying:

To access the full-featured evaluation version, please email mailto:cadulussupport@intel.com mailto:cadulussupport@intel.com" rel="nofollow">cadulussupport@intel.com to request a license key that will be sent to you via email within 24 hours.

I tried sending such a mail but it seems that this address is no longer functional.

1. Does anybody know how can obtain such a license? What are the terms of this license (duration, etc.)?

2. Has anybody tried this version (specifically the debugger) with pSOS+ 2.0 for i386?

Thank you very much in advance.

Beni Falk

0 Kudos
1 Solution
FMcNu1
Valued Contributor I

Hi Beni:

As you mentioned in your first post, you are working on an "old" project. The toolchain software you are looking for is dated to the 1990's and has long since been discontinued.

Even though the support for this product was ended many years ago, our friends at Intel have searched the archives on 2 continents looking for a way to help you. There is some good news and some bad news.

Starting with the good news, there may be some possibilility to enable you with a standard toolchain that includes compiler, ROM Monitor Debugger (X322S1XX), Simulator, native debugger etc., But this standard toolchain has no pSOS Debugger.

The bad news is that there is simply no way to recreate the pSOS Debugger nor to create a new license for that. Sorry.

Please advise if the standard toolchain without pSOS Debugger is of any value to you. If this helps, we can try to enable it. There is no guarantee, only that we can try.

Thanks

Felix

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Stewart_C_Intel
Employee

Beni,

The Cad-UL team are now part of the Software and Services Group (SSG) in Intel, although they do still do some Embedded Development tools. For example, they are the brains behind the Atom toolchain from Intel, including the JTAG debugger.

No one from this team is currently a member of EDC, but I know them personally ( I was the US Engineering Manager for Cad-UL), so I'll pass your request along. Here's hoping they still have the old system used to create the flexlm licenses.:smileyindifferent:

0 Kudos
BFalk
Beginner
0 Kudos
FMcNu1
Valued Contributor I

Hi Beni:

As you mentioned in your first post, you are working on an "old" project. The toolchain software you are looking for is dated to the 1990's and has long since been discontinued.

Even though the support for this product was ended many years ago, our friends at Intel have searched the archives on 2 continents looking for a way to help you. There is some good news and some bad news.

Starting with the good news, there may be some possibilility to enable you with a standard toolchain that includes compiler, ROM Monitor Debugger (X322S1XX), Simulator, native debugger etc., But this standard toolchain has no pSOS Debugger.

The bad news is that there is simply no way to recreate the pSOS Debugger nor to create a new license for that. Sorry.

Please advise if the standard toolchain without pSOS Debugger is of any value to you. If this helps, we can try to enable it. There is no guarantee, only that we can try.

Thanks

Felix

0 Kudos
BFalk
Beginner

Felix,

First of all I am extremely grateful for the effort that you and the friends at Intel invested in trying to help me. I am indeed somewhat ashamed for causing you all good people to "dig in the garbage".

The toolchain without a pSOS debugger is of no use to me (the old compiler, linker etc. are still working, even though I have to run them in a Win98 virtual machine) . I guess I will have to manage without the debuger...

Again thank you all very much for your effort.

Beni Falk

Manager, Software Engineering

RADA Electronic Industries Ltd.

0 Kudos
DSelt
Beginner

Hi Felix,

I also want to see if we can get access to the CAD-UL tools. The tools we would need are:

ABS386 - CAD-UL OMF386/OMF286 Hex-Record Generator - Version: V200B

AS386 - CAD-UL Cross Assembler 80386/80486 - Shareware Version: V302A

CAD-UL CC386 - ANSI C Cross Optimizing Compiler - Shareware Version: V701H

INI386 - CAD-UL Romable Converter - Version: V204

CAD-UL CXX386 - ANSI C/C++ Cross Optimizing Compiler - Shareware Version: V401I

LIB386 - CAD-UL OMF386/OMF286 Librarian - Version: V200C

LINK386 - Optimizing Cross Linker and System Builder - Shareware Version: V224

OBJ386 - CAD-UL OMF386/OMF286 viewer/checker - Version: V346

OMF386BND - CAD-UL Debug Preprocessor for x86 - Version: V312D

I know that this is old stuff. Is any of this availble (unsupported) anymore?

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
MHarr9
Beginner

hi Felix, We've also ran to into the same problem, but the mentioned CAD-UL toolchain will greatly help us in reviving our old project,

ABS386 - CAD-UL OMF386/OMF286 Hex-Record Generator - Version: V200B

AS386 - CAD-UL Cross Assembler 80386/80486 - Shareware Version: V302A

CAD-UL CC386 - ANSI C Cross Optimizing Compiler - Shareware Version: V701H

INI386 - CAD-UL Romable Converter - Version: V204

CAD-UL CXX386 - ANSI C/C++ Cross Optimizing Compiler - Shareware Version: V401I

LIB386 - CAD-UL OMF386/OMF286 Librarian - Version: V200C

LINK386 - Optimizing Cross Linker and System Builder - Shareware Version: V224

OBJ386 - CAD-UL OMF386/OMF286 viewer/checker - Version: V346

OMF386BND - CAD-UL Debug Preprocessor for x86 - Version: V312D

thank you in advance

0 Kudos
LillianAlessi
Beginner

Hi did this work out?  Ironically, I have the CADUL software and the license. 

However, when it was originally set up it was a floating license and I need a local license.  Is this possible

0 Kudos
Diego_INTEL

Hello @LillianAlessi,

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

This is a discontinued product and in these cases we do not get access to related documents and software anymore.

This a recent forum that we had that you may check, since then it was the same like now.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Embedded-Server/CAD-UL-Workbench/m-p/1402133#M894

My apologies for the inconvenience.

Best regards,

@Diego_INTEL 

0 Kudos