Embedded Intel® Core™ Processors
Communicate Intel® Core™ Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics Concerns

i7-5850eq thermal design

aatıc
Beginner

Hi everyone,

I am trying to design a cooling solution for i7-5850eq processor. But I could not find some parameters that are needed.

I need the below info for a proper design.

Rjc (Junction to case thermal resistance)

RJB (Junction to board thermal resistance)

I could not find any info about the subject on the documentation page (https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/embedded/products/broadwell-h/documentation.html 5th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors: Documentation ).

Has anybody faced this problem before? Or do you have any other solutions?

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
1 Solution
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello alicanatici,

Thank you for contacting the Intel Embedded Community.

The information that may help you is stated in the third column of the Table stated on page 6, also the information stated on pages 11 and 12 of the http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/guides/5th-gen-core-mobile-embedded-thermal-mech-guide.pdf 5th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) Processor Family Mobile Thermal Mechanical Design Guide for Embedded Applications document # 331829.

We hope that this information may help you.

Best Regards,

Carlos_A.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello alicanatici,

Thank you for contacting the Intel Embedded Community.

The information that may help you is stated in the third column of the Table stated on page 6, also the information stated on pages 11 and 12 of the http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/guides/5th-gen-core-mobile-embedded-thermal-mech-guide.pdf 5th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) Processor Family Mobile Thermal Mechanical Design Guide for Embedded Applications document # 331829.

We hope that this information may help you.

Best Regards,

Carlos_A.

0 Kudos
aatıc
Beginner

Hello Carlos,

This would definitly help. Thanks.

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello alicanatici,

Thanks for your reply.

We are glad that our suggestions were useful to you.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again if you have more questions related to Intel Embedded products.

Best Regards,

Carlos_A.

0 Kudos
LuqmanHR
Beginner

Hello Carlos_A,

I've looked up at the shared .pdf and although it has information on junction to case, sink and ambient, it does not has information on the junction-to-board resistance. 

I'm working on thermal solution for a device using intel 11th gen processor for mobile (specifically w-11865mre) and wanted to run a flow simulation. since this processor has no IHS, i can use the max junction temp that is already available online for the heatsink facing side.

but for the board facing side, i dont have this information. I've looked up on forum and so far cannot find any junction to board resistance for a processor (i found one for fpga: Thermal Resistance (intel.com))

can you help where i can get this value for processor. thanks. 

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello,  @LuqmanHR:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

We received your request but we want to address the following questions:

Could you please clarify if this request is related to a design developed by you, or if it is developed by a third-party company?

Could you please let us know the name of the manufacturer, the part number, and where we can find the information if this request is related to a third-party design?

Could you please let us know the place of purchase of the Intel® Xeon® W-11865MRE Processor 
in case it is your design?

We are waiting for your answer.

Best regards,
@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
LuqmanHR
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

Unfortunately, I cannot reveal the details you requested because of confidentiality agreement.

If I could not have the exact values, may I know if there is a typical value (or even a range of values) for a theta junction to board (theta JB) for Intel processor?

The theta JB of fpga listed in the link i provided above has range from 7.6 to 58 which is quite big

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @LuqmanHR:

Thanks for your reply.

In case the place of purchase is an Intel Authorized Distributor, we suggest contacting the place of purchase of the devices related to your consultations to help you with your requests.
They will be more than glad to help you.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
LuqmanHR
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

OK noted. Thanks for the response.

0 Kudos