Embedded Server
Consolidate Considerations of Intel® Xeon and Atom server Hardware, Firmware, Software, and Tools
262 Discussions

Are the LAN_MDIO<n>_LED<n>_[1:0] pins of the Broadwell-DE configurable to I2C?

ARio
Beginner

The Datasheet-Volume 4 of 4: Intel Xeon Processor D-1500 Family LAN Controller on section 3.7 Network Management Interface (MDIO or I2C) describes these two interfaces. I would like to know these interfaces are actually separate signals as shown in section 2.3? Or can i configure the LAN_MDC/LAN_MDIO to I2C_SCL/I2C_SDA via register settings?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
CarlosAM_INTEL

​Hello, @ARio​:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

In order to be on the same page, could you please give us the part number and SKU of the processors related to this thread? By the way, could you please clarify if your questions are related to a technical problem? In case that your answer is affirmative, please give us a detailed description of the issue.

Waiting for the information that should answer these questions.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
ARio
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

Here's the CPU we're using and its markings:

Intel Xeon D-1527

SR2DK 2.20GHz

J548B824

76GP179102811

These signals from the CPU; LAN_MDC0_LED0_0 and LAN_MDIO0_LED0_1 are connected to an I2C interface signals on the motherboard (I2C3_SCL_BMC and I2C3_SDA_BMC, respectively). I want to know, if i can configured the said CPU signals to I2C function. They are multi-function but its not clear whether they're configurable to be as I2c_SCL and I2c_SDA. Can you confirm this?

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

​Hello, @ARio​:

Thanks for your update.

The information that may help you is stated in sections 3.7.1, 3.7.2, and 3.7.3 on pages from 65 to 74 of the Intel(R) Xeon(R) Processor D-1500 Product Family Datasheet – Volume 4 of 4: Intel(R) Xeon(R) Processor D-1500 Product Family LAN Controller document # 332053 that can be found at the following website:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/xeon-d-1500-datasheet-vol-4.pdf

We hope that this information is useful to you.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos