Embedded Server
Consolidate Considerations of Intel® Xeon and Atom server Hardware, Firmware, Software, and Tools
262 Discussions

Xeon D DDR4 INterface

Athuljith
Novice

I am planning to use 16Nos of x8 wide 16Gb DDR4 chips (Total 32GB) per channel of Xeon D 1559 Processor. How could I interface these chips without using any mux in-between. Is there any DDR4 interface guide for Xeon D 1500 series. 

Please Note: Board works in Industrial temperature (-40C to 90C)

0 Kudos
5 Replies
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @Athuljith:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

We suggest following the guidelines stated in section 6 of the Grangeville with Intel(R) Xeon(R) Processor D-1500 Product Family Platform Design Guide (PDG) document # 543448. It can be found when you are logged into your Resource & Design Center (RDC) privileged account on the following websites:

http://www.intel.com/cd/edesign/library/asmo-na/eng/543448.htm

The RDC Account Support form is the channel to process your account update request or report any inconveniences with the provided site. It can be found at:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/forms/support/my-intel-sign-on-support.html

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
Athuljith
Novice

Hi @CarlosAM_INTEL 

Thanks for your reply. I went through the section you mentioned in reply. 

I think i have to detail my query. I am planning to use 32GB DDR4 per channel. The maximum memory size available in industrial temperature grade is 16Gb. So I have to use 16 Numbers. Processor is 64 bit data wide. So that I should chose a x4 wide 16 Nos. of DDR4 chips. But x4 wide chips are not available in that specified temperature grade. Least available is x8 wide. So now I am with 16 nos. of 16Gb, x8 wide DDR4 chips. Please suggest me a scheme where I can effectively use this DDR4.

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @Athuljith:

Thanks for your reply.

We suggest using the devices that fulfill the requirements stated in the documentation provided previously and the ones listed in the document stated in the following website:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/platform-memory/ddr4-2133-sodimm-ecc-validation-results.pdf

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
Athuljith
Novice

Hi @CarlosAM_INTEL ,

Thanks for the respose. I checked those parts listed in that document. But I don't think any of them meeting my requirements. First of all we are not using DIMM modules. We have to use DDR4 chips. Our requirement is 32GB. So can you suggest a part which I could use for this

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @Athuljith:

Thanks for your reply.

The tested and validated type of memories are listed in Table 6-2, on page 133 of the PDG mentioned on our first communication and the list cited in our previous message.

In case you want to use a different type or configuration than the listed in the documentation, it should be tested and validated on your own.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos