Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4864 Discussions

23.5 Vlans break Windows Powershell Get-NetAdapter

CHead1
Novice

Hello. Windows 1809.

1. Get-NetAdapter works fine.
  2. Install Intel 23.5, Get-NetAdapter still works fine.
  3. Create a VLAN, Get-Netadapter fails. (error below)
  4. I believe (but can't remember) after removing VLANs get-netadapter works again.
  5. Restored to system point and rechecked. Reproducible.
  6. sfc /scannow shows no issues. the wbem repository check says it is consistent.

Error:

PS C:\Users\dingo> Get-NetAdapter

Get-NetAdapter : The data is invalid.

At line:1 char:1

+ Get-NetAdapter

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo     : InvalidData: (MSFT_NetAdapter:ROOT/StandardCimv2/MSFT_NetAdapter) [Get-NetAdapter], CimException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Windows System Error 13,Get-NetAdapter

Powershell Cmds to create vlan:

Import-Module -Name "C:\Program Files\Intel\Wired Networking\IntelNetCmdlets\IntelNetCmdlets"

$IntelNic=Get-IntelNetAdapter -Name "Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V"

$networkVLANs=(

@{"VLAN"="64"; "Name"="VLAN 64"},

@{"VLAN"="120";"Name"="VLAN 120"},

@{"VLAN"="241";"Name"="VLAN 241"},

@{"VLAN"="255";"Name"="VLAN 255"}

)

foreach($network in $networkVLANs)

{

Add-IntelNetVLAN -Parent $intelnic -VLANID $network["VLAN"]

Set-IntelNetVLAN -Parent $intelnic -VLANID $network["VLAN"] -NewVLANName "$($network["VLAN"]) - $($network["Name"])"

}

61 Replies
SLübk
Novice

Dear Intel support!

Although adding VLANs doesn't crash my Windows 10 machine (https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004W0ipFSAR/i219lm-adding-vlans-result-in-bsod-on-windows-10-build-1803-with-intel-driver-on-hp-and-lenovo-notebooks?language=en_US) anymore with 24.4 and 24.5, I also now have the problem, that Get-NetAdapter isn't working anymore, if one/more Intel VLANs were created:

PS C:\scripts\Net> Get-NetAdapter Get-NetAdapter : The data is invalid. At line:1 char:1 + Get-NetAdapter + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ + CategoryInfo : InvalidData: (MSFT_NetAdapter:ROOT/StandardCimv2/MSFT_NetAdapter) [Get-NetAdapter], CimException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Windows System Error 13,Get-NetAdapter

Can you reproduce this error already even with your latest driver (24.5) ?

Thank you and BR,

Sven

0 Kudos
VincentT_Intel

Hi,

Good day!

Please be informed the fix to this issue will be included in a SW release by end of June this year. Kindly continue to monitor this thread for update.

Best Regards,

Vince T.

Intel Customer Support

A Contingent Worker At Intel

0 Kudos
AMarb2
Beginner

I have the same problem with ​ver. 25.0.0.0 on I219-LM in windows 10

0 Kudos
AldyC_Intel

Hi CHead1,

After series of validation, this issue is still not fixed in the latest SW 25.1.1 release. This issue requires a fix in the device driver. This is what has caused the delay but rest assured that we are working on it.

Would you like to let the case open or temporarily close while we are checking for the fix?

Best Regards,

Aldy C.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
CUllr
New Contributor I

Hello,

for me, and looking around the threads here, for others, the issue was fixed in 25.0, and now the bug is back in 25.1.1. (I never ran 25.1 anywhere, so I don't know whether it worked there.)

This is beyond frustrating.

-- 
Christian

0 Kudos
AldyC_Intel

Hi CUllr,

Apology for any inconvenience caused. Rest assured that we will work on time-frame and in what SW release the fix will be included.

We are closely monitoring this issue and will provide an update once we have a resolution.  

Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

Best Regards,

Aldy C.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
DrJustice
Novice

I'm also waiting for a fix but can't try new drivers right now.

I see a new release is out -- 25.2, on july 14 2020.

There's been no update since. Does that driver fix the issue?

0 Kudos
CUllr
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
DrJustice
Novice

This is pretty awful service from Intel. One would expect they'd take care of this issue sooner than later...

0 Kudos
DrJustice
Novice

BTW, is this for all intel NICs, or just the 211-variety?  Are 340/350 nics affected too?

0 Kudos
DrJustice
Novice

Still nothing new? I'm checking relatively frequently, since this is also a problem for me

0 Kudos
AldyC_Intel

DrJustice and CUllr,

Our sincere apology for any inconvenience caused but the engineers are still working on it. Rest assured that we will update you once we have a progress about this request.

Thank you very much for your patience and cooperation

Best Regards,

Aldy C.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello DrJustice and CUllr,

Good day!

Please be informed that this request is still under investigation with our engineers. We hope you don't mind giving us more time to look into this. Please also let us know how often would you like to receive an update. Is it once a week or every 2 weeks? If you have preferred date/time to reach you, please let us know so that we can revert accordingly.

We sincerely apologize for the delay and inconvenience caused on your end. 

Hoping for your kind understanding. 

Best Regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
DrJustice
Novice

"Is it once a week or every 2 weeks? If you have preferred date/time to reach you, please let us know"

Well, uh, this threads was started in ... 2018?  At this rate, I'm not sure every week, or every 2 weeks is going to be making much of a difference at all.

CUllr
New Contributor I

@DrJustice wrote:

"Is it once a week or every 2 weeks? If you have preferred date/time to reach you, please let us know"

Well, uh, this threads was started in ... 2018?  At this rate, I'm not sure every week, or every 2 weeks is going to be making much of a difference at all.

Second.

0 Kudos
CUllr
New Contributor I

That said, I'm sitting in front of a PC, originally installed with 1909 and recently upgraded to 2004, where the problem does not occur with 25.2. The upgrade procedure was the usual: Uninstall Intel drivers (25.0 at the time), perform Windows upgrade, install Intel drivers (25.2).

There is currently one tagged and one untagged VLAN, and both Get-NetAdapter and the Win32_NetworkAdapter WMI class work fine.

0 Kudos
DrJustice
Novice

Hmm. What Nics are you using?

I have taken for granted the fact that it was still broken and havent checked anything myself, based on Intel's comment that they were "still working on it" and someone else's comment that said that even with 25.2 the problem still existed.

In any case, it would be nice to know if indeed Intel is "working on it" or if it's just paying lip service to us. At this point it's hard to believe Intel is taking this issue seriously at all.

0 Kudos
CUllr
New Contributor I

An on-board I211. I also have an I350-T2 card in this machine, but without any VLANs configured on it. I just added one for testing, and PS/WMI kept working.

The comment that the problem was not fixed in 25.2 was mine, actually, or at least I made one to that effect slightly upthread. That was based on an actual test with 25.2 (on another computer) where it did not work.

Earlier driver versions did not work on this one (the one where it is working now), either, but this is the first time I have 25.2 on it.

0 Kudos
DrJustice
Novice

Ok.

I have a 340-T4 on one computer, and another box that has a motherboard with a quad-port Intel nics (211s also I think).

I'll try to install the 340-T4 on this box and see what happens with 25.2. If it's recognized I'll see if I can create a connection to the nas.

0 Kudos
DrJustice
Novice

Well shukcks. It appears my 340-T4 doesn't support vlans/teaming.

In any case, I had a single I217-LM also on that machine which I tried.

1) Clean setup, no vlans, nothing special already setup. Get-NetAdapter works. I can list my I217 and all 4 ports of my 340-T4.

2) Create vlans, seems to work as per the post above using the I217 (but fails if I try to use the 340).

3) Once vlans are setup with I217, Get-NetAdapter fails with the following error.

Get-NetAdapter : The data is invalid.
At line:1 char:1
+ Get-NetAdapter
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidData: (MSFT_NetAdapter:ROOT/StandardCimv2/MSFT_NetAdapter) [Get-NetAdapter], CimException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Windows System Error 13,Get-NetAdapter

So, not fixed for me.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello DrJustice and CUllr,

I hope you are doing good!

We understand your frustration and we sincerely apologize as the resolution for this issue is taking some time. Rest assured that this is still under investigation with our engineers. As soon as we heard an update from them, we will let you know and update this thread.

Let us know if you have additional questions and clarifications. 

Hoping for your kind understanding. 

Best Regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos