Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4866 Discussions

3rd party transceiver in E810 cards

Avis
Beginner

I have a 3rd party transceiver that works in a Mellanox card.

However, when that transceiver is placed in an E810-CQDA2 card, the transceiver will not transmit.

The logs below show the high power class enabled on the Mellanox card, but the high power class is not enabled on the Intel card.  Are there options/patches to enable it?

$ sudo ethtool -m enp13s0f0np0 | head -5
Identifier : 0x11 (QSFP28)
Extended identifier : 0xce
Extended identifier description : 3.5W max. Power consumption
Extended identifier description : CDR present in TX, CDR present in RX
Extended identifier description : 4.5W max. Power consumption, High Power Class (> 3.5 W) enabled
$ sudo ethtool -m enp97s0f0 | head -5
Identifier : 0x11 (QSFP28)
Extended identifier : 0x00
Extended identifier description : 1.5W max. Power consumption
Extended identifier description : No CDR in TX, No CDR in RX
Extended identifier description : High Power Class (> 3.5 W) not enabled

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello Avis,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Upon checking, this is the only compatible/validated Optic for E810-CQDA2 which is E100GQSFP28SRX:

https://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails?activeModule=Intel%C2%AE%20Ethernet#

However if you are planning to use a non-validated cables, it would be your own validation to test. We also suggest to try to contact the manufacturer of the transceiver if they have tested their product with E810-CQDA2.

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Avis,

I hope you are having a good day. I am just checking if you have clarifications regarding this thread?

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Avis
Beginner

Michael,

E100GQSFP28SRX being the only validated Optic does not help, as I need a 100GBASE-LR4 optic.
I have forwarded my post to my optic vendor, and hopefully you can work with them on validating compatibility.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Avis,

Thank you for the update. The E810 series of cards are "Open Optic" which means that it is not restricted to only Intel branded cables and optics. Third party modules can be used on E810 series but it will be based on own validation. In case there are issues encountered during usage, Intel may have difficulties with support as it is a third party product and unvalidated on the card. The best source of support would be the manufacturer of the modules.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Avis,

Hope this message finds you well. As much as we want to further assist you, it is better to further check the issue with the manufacturer of the cable. I am just checking if you still have further clarifications regarding this thread.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Avis,

I hope you're having a wonderful day. I just want to check and hoping that you are now talking to the manufacturer of the cable for further assistance. Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need further assistance, please post a new question. 

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos