Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

6 I210 whith the same MAC address, please help change them.

Toxic
Beginner

Hello,

I'm usually a normal general customer, tech-savvy, but general public.

I have a i5-8365U computer with 6 integrated I210 NICs, but somehow at the factory they made a mistake when programming the NICs and they all have the same MAC address ! You can imagine the hassle when trying to use more than one NIC at a time.. The chinese seller is not responding anymore, and now I'm stuck with trying to re-write the MAC address.

I see that I would need nvmupdate for i210 and that is usually reserved for priviledged accounts...

Maybe you have another way to help me ?

Or do I need to register for a priviledged account and try to guess at what the settings should be ?

I already found sometime ago an unofficial version of nvmupdate that I was able to run because I had "NVM checksum is invalid" issues, but that's not the proper route I think, maybe you can help me find some random 6 MAC adressses and the tooling to be able to assign them to my NICs...

Here is a comy of ipconfig in windows to clearly see that all MACs are the same :

C:\delme\nvmupdate_700Series\700Series\Winx64>ipconfig /all

Configuration IP de Windows

Nom de l’hôte . . . . . . . . . . : pandora
   Suffixe DNS principal . . . . . . :
   Type de noeud. . . . . . . . . .  : Hybride
   Routage IP activé . . . . . . . . : Non
   Proxy WINS activé . . . . . . . . : Non
   Liste de recherche du suffixe DNS.: lan

Carte Ethernet Ethernet 2 :

Statut du média. . . . . . . . . . . . : Média déconnecté
   Suffixe DNS propre à la connexion. . . :
   Description. . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) I210 Gigabit Network Connection
   Adresse physique . . . . . . . . . . . : 00-A0-C9-00-00-00
   DHCP activé. . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Oui
   Configuration automatique activée. . . : Oui

Carte Ethernet Ethernet 3 :

Description. . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) I210 Gigabit Network Connection #3

Carte Ethernet Ethernet 4 :

Suffixe DNS propre à la connexion. . . : lan
   Description. . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) I210 Gigabit Network Connection #4

Carte Ethernet Ethernet 5 :

Description. . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) I210 Gigabit Network Connection #5

Carte Ethernet Ethernet 6 :

Description. . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) I210 Gigabit Network Connection #6

Carte Ethernet Ethernet :

Suffixe DNS propre à la connexion. . . : lan
   Description. . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) I210 Gigabit Network Connection #2
   Adresse IPv4. . . . . . . . . . . . . .: xxxxxxxxxxx(préféré)
   Masque de sous-réseau. . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Bail obtenu. . . . . . . . . . . . . . : lundi 22 mars 2021 02:21:47
   Bail expirant. . . . . . . . . . . . . : lundi 22 mars 2021 04:21:46
   Passerelle par défaut. . . . . . . . . : xxxxxxxx
   Serveur DHCP . . . . . . . . . . . . . : xxxx
   Serveurs DNS. . .  . . . . . . . . . . : xxxxx
   NetBIOS sur Tcpip. . . . . . . . . . . : Activé

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Mike_Intel

Hello Toxic,

I am just sending another follow up and hoping that you are now talking to HTY minipc regarding the issue. 

Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need further assistance, please post a new question. 

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello Toxic,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

For us to further check the issue, please provide the following details.

1. What is the brand and model of your system?
  2. Are all of the 6pcs I210 onboard or embedded to the motherboard?
  3. What is the last message to you by your supplier or the system manufacturer?
  4. Can you generate the SSU and send it to me via direct message for us to check.

Here is the SSU download link:

For Windows:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?wapkw=ssu

For Linux:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26735/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-the-Linux-Operating-System?wapkw=ssu

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Toxic
Beginner

Hello Michael,

1. What is the brand and model of your system?
    1. It's a "noname" brand I think, the seller on aliexpress called itself HTY minipc
  2. Are all of the 6pcs I210 onboard or embedded to the motherboard?
    1. I don't understand your question, I cannot remove them from the computer, they are soldered onto the PCB and the intel chip is on the board, only one board in this model, no dauthter board.
  3. What is the last message to you by your supplier or the system manufacturer?
    1. It was to tell me the tracking number for the item, he never answered any question... This is the link to the item in question : https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005001560382099.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27426c37P8o5ff
  4. Can you generate the SSU and send it to me via direct message for us to check.

Sure, will send you the SSU in PM.

0 Kudos
Toxic
Beginner

Hmm, Sorry @Mike_Intel but I can't seem to find a way to PM you here... Nevermind, having a look at the txt file I see nothing of real sensitivity about me so here it is :

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Toxic,

Thank you for the quick reply.

Have you tried contacting the support of HTY minipc? Mac address are hardcoded so the manufacturer of the system should

be able to further assist you that. By the way, the information of changing the MAC address is on this link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006057/wireless.html

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Toxic
Beginner

Yes, I have contacted the HTY support but they don't seem to understand that the hardcoded value is incorrect in each NIC and I need something to hardcode it again...

I was hoping here at Intel someone could step in for the manufacturer's support and provide me with a tool that woud assign 6 new distinct MACs to my NICs and hardcode them into the NVM of each NIC, since I have to tell each of my OS to "spoof" the MAX of each NIC to something else that is why I made up the 60:60:60:60:60:xx MACs you can see in the support file....

I don't want any specific MAC, just a unique MAC per NIC, I think that's reasonable...

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Toxic,

I am sorry to hear that. Here is what I will do, I will try to check if there is a way on how we can change the MAC address.

However, just to set the expectation. We will just try to check if there is way to change it because the network cards are embedded on a 3rd party system which is being controlled by their BIOS.

Please give us 2 to 3 working days to provide an update on this issue.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Toxic
Beginner

Thank you very much for your effor Michael, I understand this is not in your usual scope of responsibilities and I thank you a lot for your efforts.

Meanwhile I am keeping bothering the seller trying to force him to fulfill his duties and help me with it as it is his job and not yours, so thanks again for your kind help and I will report if you can stop your efforts in case I get a solution with the seller/manufacturer.

Best regards.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Toxic,

Thank you for patiently waiting for our update on this request.

We tried checking every possible way on how we can help you, however we really apologize and as much as we want to further assist you, your system manufacturer is still the best source of support because the NIC is integrated and configured suited for your board. So kindly coordinate this issue with HTY minipc for further assistance with the MAC address.

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Toxic,

I hope you are having a good day. I am just checking if you are now talking to HTY minipc for further assistance regarding the issue.

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Toxic,

I am just sending another follow up and hoping that you are now talking to HTY minipc regarding the issue. 

Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need further assistance, please post a new question. 

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos