Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

82567LM-3 Gigabit Network Connection problems

idata
Employee

I'm a newbie so pls bear with me. I'm running Win XP Pro on a HP Compaq dc7900 Small Form Factor Business desktop. Worked like a charm for 10 months then I could not connect to the internet. The ISP tech worked 3 hours before giving up. He installed a wireless adapter and declared my net card must be bad.

The next day I downloaded a newer HP driver and it worked until I shut down the computer. That was 6 weeks ago. Today the ISP tech said it's a software problem! HP said to backup my data and restore the system. Is this my only option?

I ran the diagnostic test from the "Link Speed" page of the Intel 82567LM-3 Gig Network Connection Properties . The Connection Failed

Test Details:

This adapter is configured to obtain an IP address automatically but no DHCP server is present on the network. Windows selected an IP address using Alternate Private IP Addressing.

No gateway is available for this connection

No WNS server is available for this connection

No DHCP server is available for this connection

Ping DNS 68.94.156.1 FAILED The tech had me change TCP/IP setting from Obtain DNS automatically to Use the following DNS addresses

Ping DNS 68.94.157.1 FAILED

Link speed:100MBPS. The link partner is not capable of higher speeds.

It passed the cable test but failed the Loopback test.

Another test showed Invalid IP address 255.255.255.255.

After changing the TCP/IP back to Obtain IP address automatically I ran the test again.

NO servers configured.

This test relies on a response from a gateway, DNS, DHCP or WNS server. If none are present on the server the test can not be run.

Anyone else have this sort of problem or know how to fix it?

<span style="font-family: "Times Ne...

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi mzpatti

we need more details on the network configuration, e.g. what device is your computer plugged into (cable/DSL modem? model number would be very good).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

A coax cable from AT&T U-verse screws into to the 2Wire 3800HGV-B Gateway router. Ethernet cable they provided connects from a LOCAL ETHERNET port

on the gateway to my computer's Ethernet port. Advanced configurations are shown here. http://192.168.1.254/ http://192.168.1.254/.

It can not obtain an IP address from teh DHCP server.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You may want to check you gateway router's configuration ( http://192.168.1.254/ http://192.168.1.254/), see if DHCP is enabled there.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi mzpatti!

Did you ever get a solution to your problem or did you restore the system? I have exactly the same error with my Dell Optiplex 960.

Thanks.

vt5
New Contributor I

have you tried to ping 127.0.0.1? to check if you're tcp/ip stack is working properly, what if you set static ip on your network connection, same problem?

idata
Employee

Hi sage99,

New development here: By trial and error I have found out that the connection works when set to 10mbit full duplex. It is VERY slow though. Far slower than 10mbit.

When set to auto negotiate speed (=100mbit) then it fails. I have tried with both DHCP and static address. The ping fails.

Hope someone has heard of these symptoms.

Thanks

vt5
New Contributor I

looks like it's more on the physical layer since when you manually set to 10mbps, it works. have you feed this back to your ISP? they might change something on their end that affects your connection since it has been working for 6 months...

or if you have spare network adapter, you can try using it to further isolate the problem

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yep 10mbit full duplex works. No other setting will work. Sooooo slow... what a pain.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm having this exact same issue with a brand new dc7900 as well. Only setting link speed to 10/full gets me connected. But it is dog slow.

I've tried drivers from Intel site and HP site. My net ops folks have double checked the port I am connected to is set to 100/full.

One caveat though; I am running Windows Server (Enterprise) 2008 R2.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi JJ

I can only tell my experience: I reported it to Dell and they came out and changed the motherboard! After that it worked perfectly. Seemed to be a hardware problem or maybe some firmware got changed with the board. Cannot say if at all related to your problem.

Good luck,

rask

0 Kudos