Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4873 Discussions

82583v Which Linux Driver should I use?

idata
Employee

If I download the Linux driver posted at the Intel web site with a Nov 23 2009 date and compare it to a recent linux source, say 2.6.32-rc8 the code is quite different. Which one should I focus on? I need to port it to a non-linux os.

3 Replies
idata
Employee

The driver that is on intel.com, e1000e-1.1.2, is your best bet for reference code. The upstream drivers (in the kernel) will usually lag what you'll find either on SourceForge or intel.com for all of our drivers (igb, ixgbe, etc.). Just be aware the out-of-kernel-tree drivers also carry kernel compatibility code, which could be useful to whatever you're porting to, or it could throw a bit of confusion in.

What are you planning to port this to? We also have a FreeBSD driver for the same hardware.

MHuan46
Beginner

where can i find 82583v freebsd 7.x driver? it's not available in Intel drive download site.

thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

You want the http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=17509 Network Adapter Gigabit Base Driver for FreeBSD* 7.x. The list of supported devices for that download has been updated to include the Intel® 82573V Gigabit Ethernet Controller.

0 Kudos