I have struggeled a lot with a crazy weird issue. I have a Supermicro server, 16x2,5 drives in Raid, LSI Megaraid. Server connected by a 82599 10Gbps network adapter to a Cisco switch, and 1Gbps to clients. To all my Windows 7 clients a get transfer speeds 115MB/sec. To my Windows 10 clients I only get ~45MB/sec. I was certain this had to have something to do with the windows installation, SMB signing or similar. But after a total re-install of the server, it behaves the same. So in total confusion I tried connecting the server by the 1Gbps onboard adapter (Intel I350) to the switch, and voila, 115MB/sec to both Win7/10-clients. This is of course not a solution since I need the 10Gbps bandwidth to my 9 clients. So to my big surprise it seems to be something fishy going on with the Intel 82599 adapter and Win10 clients, any ideas ? Laters drivers installed. I have tested with default settings, tried the different profiles (standard, lo latency, web-server) and other settings a little randomly based on other comments online, but to further improvements.
For the record, I also have a couple of old Win2008 servers and these provide ~115Gbps to all clients.
Thank you for posting in Wired Communities. I am sorry to hear what happened, please share more information below:
1) What is the latest driver version installed on 82559? Where did you download the driver?
2) What are the network adapters model installed on the Windows 10 client? Are you using the same network adapters for both Windows 7 and Windows 10?
3) What are the network driver version installed on Windows 10 clients?
4) Are both Windows 7 and Windows 10 connecting to the same switch model? what is the exact Cisco switch model?
5) Please try running below command to provide me the advance property of 82559 and the NIC using in Windows 10 clients. Run the powershell command and type the following command at the prompt:
get-netadapteradvancedproperty "ethernet" > 82559.txt
(Note:The advance property output will be generated to the 82559.txt file, do the same for Windows 10 clients but output in another file name e..g win10client.txt, feel free to use other filename you prefer for the output file )
Please share both text file and feel free to provide additional setup information.
Hope this can help:
1) Driver 22.214.171.124 (20.10.2017) from intel.com
2) Onboard adapters on clients. All Asus motherboards. Have 2 clients with both Win7 /Win10 installed on separate disks and both work nice in Win7, and bad in Win10
3) Up to date drivers from motherboard manufacturer.
4) Yes, all connected to same switch. My bad, it's a Supermicro SSE-G48-TG4
Thank you for the providing the information. As the 82599 is an onboard NIC on the Supermicro server, have you tried using the driver from Supermicro? The customized driver are more suitable for OEM onboard NIC as they are customized by the OEM board vendor to adapt to their design on the system.
What is the exact model of Asus motherboard used? I would like to identify the onboard Gigabit NIC used on those client for better
Does the Windows 7 clients have the exact same setting as the Windows 10 clients in terms of advance property setting?
Is there any chance you can connect the clients to different switch(in case you have spare one) to reduce the load on the switch, to see if there is improvement on the speed.
Looking forward to your reply. Thank you.
The Network adapter is a PCI-e card. Supermicro model: AOC-STGN-I2S
I installed the latest available Supermicro Drivers (v.126.96.36.199 02/09/2016)
One of the client is running a Asus P10WS motherboard. I'm also testing with a Lenovo Ideapad 700. All NIC-settings on all clients are default. I get ~115MB/sec between clients, to other servers and to the main server when connected with the Supermicro Onboard 1GBit/adapter. When the main server is connected to network with the Supermicro 10Gbit Intel card I only get ~45MB/sec to Win10 clients, BUT still ~115MB/sec to Windows 7 clients.
Switch traffic it not an issue since most tests are done after business hours, and I always get ~115MB/sec to the Windows 7 clients.
I now understand that this might be a Supermicro problem, not an Intel one, since it is a Supermicro card running a Intel chipset...
Thank you for the clarification. As this is an Supermicro OEM NIC, you can contact Supermicro for them to better assist you. Please refer to the scope of Intel network support https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006628/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html