Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Add VLAN with Intel ANS (23.5) on Windows 10 1809 (I217-LM)

snevas
Novice

As the PROset adapter configuration does not allow you to create VLANs, I've tried with with the following powershell commands as administrator:

PS C:\Users\username> Get-IntelNetAdapter   Location Name ConnectionName LinkStatus -------- ---- -------------- ---------- 0:25:0:0 Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I217-LM Ethernet 1,00 Gbps ...     PS C:\Users\username> Add-IntelNetVLAN -ParentName "Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I217-LM" -VLANID 0,196 Add-IntelNetVLAN : Failed to add one or more of the specified VLAN IDs. At line:1 char:1 + Add-IntelNetVLAN -ParentName "Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I217-LM" - ... + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ + CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (IANet_PhysicalE...e = "username-HP2"):CimInstance) [Add-IntelNetVLAN], Ex ception + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Error executing cmdlet.,Intel.PowerShell.Network.VLAN.AddIntelNetVlan

This disables the adapter, but does not create a VLAN interface. What am I doing wrong. Even tried this in safe mode, with no success as well.

27 Replies
RoyceDaniel
Novice

I see your Powershell prompt says "C:\Users\username>". This is generally the case when you run Powershell as a normal user and not as the Administrator. Have you tried running the commands in Admin Mode in Powershell? I'm curious if your commads will hang up like mine did this morning.

0 Kudos
snevas
Novice

Capture.JPG

Yup, here is the full window with administrator clearly in the screenshot :)

0 Kudos
JErqu
Beginner

I have the same issue, been fighting with it all day. Intel Ethernet I219-LM, Windows 1809. When I try to create a VLAN adapter, it disables the adapter and then fails.

0 Kudos
JErqu
Beginner

For what it's worth, I was in a position that I could rebuild my machine. Reinstalled 1809 from scratch, installed the 23.5 drivers, and I was able to add VLANs with the PowerShell cmdlets.

0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello Snevas, Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. Is this I217-LM integrated into a board, and what is the make and model of the board? Did you remove any VLANs and Teams, and uninstall the existing ANS software prior to updating to 23.5? Please provide a System Support Utility log, and attach the log to a post. I will include a download link below. 1- Download from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 2- Open SSU.exe 3- Mark the box "Everything" and then click "Scan". 4- When finished scanning, click "Next". 5- Click on "Save" and attach the file to a post. Let us know if you have any other questions. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
snevas
Novice

Is this I217-LM integrated into a board, and what is the make and model of the board?

• Yes, it's in a HP Zbook 15 G2 notebook

Did you remove any VLANs and Teams, and uninstall the existing ANS software prior to updating to 23.5? 

• Yes

See the attached log.

Thanks Daniel!

0 Kudos
NOklo
New Contributor I

Hello

intel i219-lm, win 10 17763.195.

Same problem here. Not possible to work with VLANs at all. Have no VLANs tab.

Tried various drivers versions and win10 driver signature bypass boot. Have no success.

Need solution asap. =(

Thank you

0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello Snevas, Thank you for the information. We will investigate this issue and update you soon. Let us know if you have any other questions. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello Snevas, Thank you for waiting. Have you tried creating the VLAN only using the command "add-IntelNetVLAN"? PowerShell will then prompt you for the name and ID. Let us know if you have any other questions. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
snevas
Novice

I did:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Add-IntelNetVLAN   cmdlet Add-IntelNetVLAN at command pipeline position 1 Supply values for the following parameters: ParentName[0]: Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I217-LM ParentName[1]: VLANID[0]: 0 VLANID[1]: 196 VLANID[2]: Add-IntelNetVLAN : Failed to add one or more of the specified VLAN IDs. At line:1 char:1 + Add-IntelNetVLAN + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ + CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (IANet_PhysicalE...e = "user-HP2"):CimInstance) [Add-IntelNetVLAN], Ex ception + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Error executing cmdlet.,Intel.PowerShell.Network.VLAN.AddIntelNetVlan   PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello Snevas, Thank you for the reply. Does PowerShell hang or freeze after the error? Do you get a similar error with Teams? Did you import the IntelNetCMDLets prior to running the commands? (Import-Module -Name "C:\Program Files\Intel\Wired Networking\IntelNetCmdlets\IntelNetCmdlets") Also try the following: -Uninstall 23.5 software and drivers -Delete contents of "C:\Program Files\Intel\Wired Networking\" -Re-install 23.5 software and drivers -Import CMDLets and create VLANs Let us know if you have any other questions. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
snevas
Novice

Reinstalled the 23.5 software (and removed the folder), then imported the CMDLets and tried again.

Still same behavior. The `Get-IntelNetAdapter` responds directly, but the `Add-IntelNetVLAN -ParentName "Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I217-LM" -VLANID 0,196` indeed hangs for a couple of minutes.

0 Kudos
MAbdE
Beginner

Dear danield

I have the same problem after updating my windows to 1809 and I use the Intel software and drivers23.5 but i have this error:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Import-Module -Name "C:\Program Files\Intel\Wired Networking\IntelNetCmdlets\IntelNetCmdlets.dll"

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-IntelNetAdapter

Location       Name                                                          ConnectionName           LinkStatus

--------       ----                                                          --------------           ----------

0:31:6:0       Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-LM                      Ethernet                 1.00 Gbps ...

4:0:0:0        Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller                                                      1.00 Gbps ...

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Add-IntelNetVLAN

cmdlet Add-IntelNetVLAN at command pipeline position 1

Supply values for the following parameters:

ParentName[0]: Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-LM

ParentName[1]:

VLANID[0]: 0

VLANID[1]: 2003

VLANID[2]:

Add-IntelNetVLAN : Failed to add one or more of the specified VLAN IDs.

At line:1 char:1

+ Add-IntelNetVLAN

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo         : InvalidOperation: (IANet_PhysicalE...e = "ADMIN-PC"):CimInstance) [Add-IntelNetVLAN], Exception

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Error executing cmdlet.,Intel.PowerShell.Network.VLAN.AddIntelNetVlan

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello Snrevas, Thank you for your reply. When PowerShell hangs does it do nothing as if it is waiting for a command, or does it give the same error as before? Let us know if you have any other questions. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
snevas
Novice

Same behavior as before, after the delay you get the same error.

0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello Snrevas, Thank you for the reply. We will investigate this issue, and give you an update soon. Please let us know if you have any other questions. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello Snrevas, Thank you for your patience. If you uninstall 23.5 and install 23.4, does it work on this system? Would you be able to try to create a VLAN in 23.5 using a fresh install of Windows 10 1809? Let us know if you have any other questions. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
DDupr
Beginner

Hi Daniel,

I am not the OP but I have the same exact error and inability to add VLANs after upgrading to Windows 10 1809 and updating to 23.5. This is clearly a problem for multiple people and not an issue isolated to a single user. I cannot accept having to do a fresh install of Windows 10 as a solution. The driver/software needs to be fixed or at the very least, a viable workaround that does not involve a clean install of Windows needs to be provided.

Please push for a solution with expediency.

As for trying 23.4, can you confirm if 23.4 is compatible with 1809? The page for 23.4 does not have any mention of 1809 compatibility, whereas 23.5 explicitly states it is compatible. As you may know, Windows 10 1809 introduced some changes to the driver model and new drivers are required. I am willing to try 23.4 if you can confirm that it is compatible with 1809.

Thank you

-Darren

0 Kudos
WhyeBee_T_Intel
Employee

@DDupr​ 

Hi DDupr,

Can you provide what is the exact model of your network adapter? Is it an onboard NIC or standalone network adapter. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Whybe T

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
DDupr
Beginner

Please see the PowerShell output below. Note that this is an integrated/onboard NIC on a Gigabyte X299 UD4 motherboard.

Happy to give any other information needed and try anything other than a fresh install of Windows 10.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Import-Module -Name "C:\Program Files\Intel\Wired Networking\IntelNetCmdlets\IntelNetCmdlets.dll" PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-IntelNetAdapter     Caption : Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V Description : Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V InstallDate : Name : Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V Status : OK AdditionalAvailability : {3} Availability : 3 CreationClassName : IANet_PhysicalEthernetAdapter DeviceID : {C0F315E7-31B1-4A7C-82F4-38849814422A} ErrorCleared : ErrorDescription : IdentifyingDescriptions : LastErrorCode : MaxQuiesceTime : OtherIdentifyingInfo : PowerManagementCapabilities : PowerManagementSupported : PowerOnHours : StatusInfo : 3 SystemCreationClassName : Win32_ComputerSystem SystemName : BORG TotalPowerOnHours : AutoSense : FullDuplex : True MaxSpeed : 1000000000 NetworkAddresses : {1C1B0D, 1C1B0DEC96CA} OctetsReceived : OctetsTransmitted : PermanentAddress : 1C1B0DEC96CA Speed : 1000000000 AlignmentErrors : Capabilities : {32, 33, 34, 43...} CapabilityDescriptions : {, , , ...} CarrierSenseErrors : DeferredTransmissions : EnabledCapabilities : ExcessiveCollisions : FCSErrors : FrameTooLongs : InternalMACReceiveErrors : InternalMACTransmitErrors : LateCollisions : MaxDataSize : MultipleCollisionFrames : SingleCollisionFrames : SQETestErrors : SymbolErrors : TotalPacketsReceived : TotalPacketsTransmitted : MiniPortInstance : {C0F315E7-31B1-4A7C-82F4-38849814422A} MiniPortName : e1dexpress AdapterStatus : 51 BusType : 7 BusTypeString : PCI Express ConnectionName : Ethernet ControllerID : DeviceStatus : 1 DeviceStatusString : Link Up DriverVersion : 12.18.8.4 EEE : 3 EEEString : Not Negotiated ETrackID : 0x00000000 ExtendedStatus : 0 HardwareStatus : 1 Location : 0:31:6:0 MediaType : 1 MediaTypeString : Copper NegotiatedLinkSpeed : 0 NegotiatedLinkSpeedString : Not Supported NegotiatedLinkWidth : 0 NegotiatedLinkWidthString : Not Supported NVMVersion : 0x00000000 OriginalDisplayName : Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V OtherCapabilityDescriptions : OtherEnabledCapabilities : OtherEnabledCapabilityIDs : OtherMediaType : OtherPhyDevice : OTPVersion : PartitionNumber : 65535 PartitionNumberString : PartNumber : PCIDeviceID : VEN_8086&DEV_15b8&SUBSYS_1458e000&REV_00&0&fe PHYDevice : 0 PortNumber : -1 PortNumberString : Not Supported SanMacAddress : SlotID : 0:31:6:0 SpeedString : 1.00 Gbps Full Duplex Temperature : 0 TemperatureString : Not Supported PSComputerName :     PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Add-IntelNetVLAN -ParentName "Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V" -VLANID 0,3 Add-IntelNetVLAN : Failed to add one or more of the specified VLAN IDs. At line:1 char:1 + Add-IntelNetVLAN -ParentName "Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V ... + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ + CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (IANet_PhysicalE...mName = "BORG"):CimInstance) [Add-IntelNetVLAN], Exception + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Error executing cmdlet.,Intel.PowerShell.Network.VLAN.AddIntelNetVlan

0 Kudos