Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Add-on PCI-E Ethernet Adapter for Windows 10 with ongoing Multiple VLAN Support

bilalu
Novice

Hi,

I'm looking to add a PCI-E Intel Adapter (say an EXPI9301CT) with Multiple VLAN support in Windows 10, but have come across conflicting information.

Something about later versions of Windows 10 not having iANS (or PROSet?) and needing to use Windows' own drivers (and that these drivers lack the ability to configure such features?).

I don't want to use Hyper-V and virtualise my existing NIC, although I've done that successfully in the past - some software issues on my end.

I've seen some of the discussions in the forums about the current Intel drivers having problems, but that aside...

Thanks,

bilalu

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Caguicla_Intel
Hello bilalu, Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. The Teaming and VLAN features in PROSet for Windows device manager have been removed, as Windows® 10 Version 1809 (and later) and Microsoft* Windows Server* 2019 (and later) no longer supports this function. Use Intel® PROSet for Windows PowerShell* Software's cmdlets for Team and VLAN configurations. Please visit this link for Intel® Ethernet SW 23.5 Release Information https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000031823/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html The PowerShell commands for Intel PROSet are described in this link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023545/network-and-i-o.html You may also visit this link for Intel® Advanced Network Services VLANs https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005677/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel
Hello bilalu, We'd like to check if we were able to address your query. Please let us know if you have additional questions and clarifications on this matter. Looking forward to hear from you. Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
bilalu
Novice

Hi Chrisselle,

Thank you for your response. If we can do it from powershell cmdlets, perfect. Who needs a GUI?

Regards,

bilalu

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel
Hello bilalu, Thank you for the reply. You have a point. But moving forward, can you share if you were able to create VLAN using powershell? Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello bilalu,

We'd like to check if we were able to address your query? If you need other assistance on this, please let us know and we will be glad to help.

Your prompt reply is highly appreciated.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
bilalu
Novice

Hi Chrisselle,

We haven't gotten around to buying the product yet, so I can't confirm until we do.

Regards,

bilalu

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello bilalu,

Thank you for the reply.

Can you share when do you plan to buy the product so we can confirm if we addressed your query?

Looking forward to your response.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello bilalu,

We'd like to check on when do you plan to buy the product so we can confirm if we were able to address your query.

Looking forward to your response.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
bilalu
Novice

Hi Chrisselle,

I pruchased an "Intel® Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter".

Tried a few driver options, but so far nothing wants to install. I get "Cannot install drivers. No Intel(R) Adapters are present in this computer.".

The NIC is installed and is working with basic features, with built-in Windows 10 drivers:

image.png

Would appreciate any pointers.

Thanks,

bilalu

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Bilal,

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience on this matter.

After further checking, there is no Intel Windows 10 driver for the Gigabit CT desktop adapter, the available Windows driver is the inbox (built-in driver) from Microsoft*. Inbox driver doesn't include Intel® PROSet for Windows* Device Manager and Intel® Advanced Network Services (Intel® ANS) driver for teaming and VLANS. Please visit this link “Windows® 10 Support for Intel® Ethernet Adapters” for the list of available Intel network adapter with Intel Windows 10 driver:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000020905/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

You might want to consider to replace the adapter with an Intel® Ethernet Server Adapter I210-T1 as this model has full support drivers for Windows 10. I have sent you a private message for personal information in case your point of purchase is not able to support your request. 

Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
bilalu
Novice

Hi Chriselle,

Not many stockists have this model, including my place of purchase.

bilalu

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Bilalu,

We are sorry to hear that. Kindly give us an update once you've contacted your place of purchase in regards with your request.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Bilalu,

We'd like to check if your place of purchase was able to support your request. Please let us know of the result either way to assist you further.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
bilalu
Novice

Hi Chriselle,

As advised by PM, shipping and restocking fees, plus time to do that pretty much adds up to the value of the NIC, so we won't be returning it.

I've ordered the suggested one from another vendor.

bilalu

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Bilalu,

Thank you very much for the update. We really appreciate your time and effort on this matter and hope that you can still use the CT Desktop Adapter on a different system. 

Please feel free to let us know if there are still other assistance needed and we will be glad to be of help. Again, our sincere apologies for the inconvenience that we have caused, we hope to hear from you again as one of our valued customer. 

Have a great weekend!

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
bilalu
Novice

Just wanted to update this ticket for the benefit of others: I finally got the (quite tiny!) I210-T1 and it works fine with Windows 10 for VLANning. Just run the commands via powershell, likeso:

Add-IntelNetVLAN -ParentName "Intel(R) Ethernet Server Adapter I210-T1" -VLANID 9

... after installing the appropriate software that provides the PowerShell cmdlets.

0 Kudos