Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

After the laptop sits for a while the network becomes very slow

eloge
Novice

I have a similar issue.

Windows 7 enterprise x64, lenovo x250 laptops. Driver version is 12.12.80.19. Standard install of OS and used the lenovo system update to install all the drivers.

After the laptop sits for a while the network becomes very slow. To test I setup a continuous ping to a server on the same subnet. Here is where my issue diverges a bit from the thread. It's random when it happens and doesn't necessary happen when coming out of sleep or hibernation. This is happening on all the laptops that we have tested so far. Our power plan doesn't put anything to sleep other than the screen. I turned off power management on the NIC. The pings will start to drop and for the pings that make it the delay is very long, 1000ms+. If I make any change on the NIC that requires the NIC to refresh everything goes back to normal. If I unplug the cable and plug it back in everything goes back to normal.

I hope to resolve this soon as I'm rolling this laptop out to everybody in the company.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Eric

0 Kudos
1 Solution
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi ericdukece,

Thank you for contacting Intel.

Regarding your issue on slow connection, we suggest to try updating your network connection's driver. Updating or re-installing the driver can resolve these unstable network connection. Upon checking Lenovo's* website, I found the latest driver version for LAN connection is 12.12.1950. Try to download and install this version. See instructions below:

- Go to http://support.lenovo.com/ph/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x250 Laptops and netbooks :: ThinkPad X Series laptops :: ThinkPad X250 - Lenovo Support (PH)

Note: This link will take you off the Intel web site. Intel does not control the content of the destination web site.

- Under "Component" select "Networking: LAN(Ethernet)"

- Download and install the network driver - "Intel PRO/1000 LAN Adapter Software (Gigabit Ethernet Driver) for Windows 8.1 (64-bit), 7 (32-bit, 64-bit) - ThinkPad"

Hope this help resolve the slow connection issue.

Sincerely,

Sandy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi ericdukece,

Thank you for contacting Intel.

Regarding your issue on slow connection, we suggest to try updating your network connection's driver. Updating or re-installing the driver can resolve these unstable network connection. Upon checking Lenovo's* website, I found the latest driver version for LAN connection is 12.12.1950. Try to download and install this version. See instructions below:

- Go to http://support.lenovo.com/ph/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x250 Laptops and netbooks :: ThinkPad X Series laptops :: ThinkPad X250 - Lenovo Support (PH)

Note: This link will take you off the Intel web site. Intel does not control the content of the destination web site.

- Under "Component" select "Networking: LAN(Ethernet)"

- Download and install the network driver - "Intel PRO/1000 LAN Adapter Software (Gigabit Ethernet Driver) for Windows 8.1 (64-bit), 7 (32-bit, 64-bit) - ThinkPad"

Hope this help resolve the slow connection issue.

Sincerely,

Sandy

0 Kudos
eloge
Novice

Thank for the reply. I didn't realize that there was a newer driver. They Lenovo software udpate tool thinks I already the latest and greatest. I guess they are slow to update their package list.

I installed the update, haven't seen the issue since but it hasn't been very long either. Will know in 24 hours.

SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi Eric,

Thanks for sharing your troubleshooting results with us. Glad to know that the issue is resolved. Have a great day!

Sincerely,

Sandy

0 Kudos
eloge
Novice

Is there a way to install these drivers silently?

I tried /silent.

http://support.lenovo.com/ph/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x250 Laptops and netbooks :: ThinkPad X Series laptops :: ThinkPad X250 - Lenovo Support (PH)

0 Kudos
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi Eric,

Thank you for writing back.

You may use the SetupBD.exe command to install driver silently.

Example: SetupBD /s - Installs and/or updates the driver(s) silently.

Please refer to our website for the command line options:

http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/cs-016040.htm Network Connectivity — Installing the Base Driver and Intel® PROSet Via the Command Line

Please check if you also have this file "SetupBD" in Lenovo's driver.

Sincerely,

Sandy

0 Kudos