Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4864 Discussions

Anyway to off Intel10G NIC promidcuous mode??

sdki
Beginner

Hello everyone,

I have some trouble using the wireshark​ with Intel 10G NIC, impossible to receive the unicast traffic from others.

Server is directly connected to the mirroring port of Cisco switch.​

I'd like to know if there is anyway to ​disable the filtering mode. (Filtering means dropping the unicast traffic not destined to itself.)

Other NIC port is working very fine, no issue with the switch morroring config​, wireshark promiscuous mode is also on.

Please help me clear the problem.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello 3000022475941.561588397056133E12,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Please provide the System Support Utility log of your system. This will allow us to check your Adapter details and configuration. Kindly refer to the steps below.

1.) Download from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/91600/Intel-System-Support-Utility

2- Open SSU.exe

3- Mark the box "Everything" and then click "Scan".

4- When finished scanning, click "Next".

5- Click on "Save" and attach the file to a post.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
sdki
Beginner

Hello Crisselle,

Appreciate your reply.

Please find posted file per your request.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Thank you for the prompt reply.

We'd like to clarify your query. Do you want to disable the promiscuous mode on the adapter? Or do you want to disable the filtering mode?

When promiscuous mode is enable, all traffic will be received even it is not destined to itself.

You also mentioned that the other NIC port is working very fine. Does this mean that you are only having this issue on one port of the X520-DA2?

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
sdki
Beginner

Thanks for your help again. 

I'd like to setup Promiscuous mode ON so that it could receive all unicast traffics even not destined to itself. 

I have setup Promiscuous mode ON at the wireshark but it was still not able to receive the unicast from others. 

To verify the switch mirroring config, I connected the cable to other nic port and it could receive all as i expected. 

This problem only happened with Intel X520 NIC. 

Let me brief again, I need to sniff all traffics using Intel X520 NIC. 

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Thank you for the reply.

Please allow us to check on this. We will give you an update as soon as there is any findings.

Hoping for your patience.

We might request an additional information on this matter that would help us to investigate further.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Thank you for the patience on this matter.

Please find our findings and suggestions below:

1.) Please be informed that a network management agent is needed to enable/disable the promiscuous mode.

You may refer to this link for Intel® Wired Ethernet Network Adapters and Promiscuous Mode

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007255/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

2.) In connection to number 1, you mentioned that you are using Wireshark to enable/disable promiscuous mode, we recommend to check with them for further assistance. 

3.) We have checked that this is a Dell OEM version of Intel Ethernet Adapter. For OEM version, it is recommended to get in touch with Dell for further support since they have customized drivers and software to enable or alter features on your system. They are in best position where you can seek assistance so you don’t lose features or customizations of the Network card. Please visit this link for the List of Supported Retail Intel® Ethernet Adapters wherein mentioned, 'If your adapter isn't listed below, it's an Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) or LAN on motherboard (LOM) adapter. We don't support OEM nor LOMs.'

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005612/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Please let us know if you were able to contact Wireshark and Dell for further assistance.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

We just want to check if you already tried our last recommendations. Please update us on the results or if you already tried contacted Dell for further assistance.

If you have questions, please let us know.

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technicians

0 Kudos
sdki
Beginner

​Hello Michael,

Appreicate your support.

Actually I have already contacted DELL eariler than posting this ariticle.

But they told me that they have nothing to do with this case and we should contact to Intel.

I already gave up to clear this case, quite disappointed...so I purchased another NIC which has Realtek chipset.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

I am sorry to hear that and I hope everything is working fine with your new NIC.

If you still have questions or clarifications, please let us know.

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technicians

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

You mentioned before that the other card in the system does not exhibit the same issue and the promiscuous mode in the wireshark is enabled. We'd like to check if you have tried the suggestion to tweak the registry mentioned in the site below. The registry key for ixn driver is "MonitorMode"

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005498/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
sdki
Beginner

​Hello Crisselle,

Of course I have tried this before but this isn't able to clear the problem

Thanks

Regards

Sangdae Kim

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Sangdae,

We appreciate your reply.

Please make sure that you have the latest driver and firmware from Dell since this is a Dell OEM adapter.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos