Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4853 Discussions

Arria 10 Dev Kit: unable to connect to ethernet as instructed in Quick Start Guide

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

We've just received a new Arria 10 GX FPGA Dev Kit. As the first step, we try to follow Quick Start Guide (https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/support/boards-kits/arria10/fpga/prod_qsg_a10_fpga_dev_kit.pdf) and connect to the board's Board Upgrade Portal. Unfortunately, we failed at Step 1. As instructed on the document, we power off the board, switch SW6.4 to ON position to load factory design (Step 1.1), and connect ethernet cable to the board (Step 1.2), and power it on (Step 1.3). As described in Step 1.3, we should be able to see the board showing "Connecting" on the LCD display, and, when an IP address is obtained, showing the IP address. However, after powering on the board, we saw nothing on the LCD display. We put it there for 30 minutes and nothing showed up.  

Have anyone had a similar experience? Does anyone have any clue how to fix this? Any suggestion is much appreciated!
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Try to set SW4 and SW5 exactly as shown on Figure 3.2 (Arria 10 FPGA Development Kit User Guide)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have seen this on some boards but it was with ES devices, so I blamed it on that. You should contact Intel if this is a board with a production device and has this issue.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks @AnOkunev and @sstrell for the hint.  

So it turned out to be exactly because the switches weren't set to the default positions when the board was shipped to us. Surprisingly there were >5 switches that were not in the default positions. After setting everything to default, it seems to be working (at least the factory design seems to be successfully loaded and the LCD is showing "Net Initialize..."; we don't have DHCP enabled in our institute so I have to contact our IT help desk to register this board to get it connected to the Ethernet. I'll add more updates when it is done.) 

Really appreciate your help! 

Really appreciate your help!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi AnOkunev and sstrell, 

I got it resolved and I confirm that the issue I encountered was because that the switches were not reset to the default positions when the board was shipped to me.  

Thank you guys for the suggestions!
0 Kudos