Auto negotiation issue with X552

SVoon1
Beginner

Centos version: 7.7

Ethernet controller: X552

SFP adaptor: FTLX8571D3BCV-IT

ixgbe default version: 5.1.0

Updated ixgbe driver to: 5.6.5

INTERMITTENT Issue: Some times the link never comes up and even if I bring down and bring up the interface(ifconfig down/up). Even I tried probing ixgbe(rmmod/modprobe), no luck.

Any pointers would be greatful.

PLEASE HELP

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello SVoon1,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Please provide the following details for us to check on your query.

1.) What is the exact model of the X552?

2.) Please share the brand and model of the motherboard where the X552 is integrated to.

2.) Since the X552 is integrated to the motherboard, have you double checked with your manufacturer if the FTLX8571D3BCV-IT is a compatible module?

Looking forward to your response.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
SVoon1
Beginner

Hi Crisselle,

Here is the information:

1.) What is the exact model of the X552?

2.) Please share the brand and model of the motherboard where the X552 is integrated to.

2.) Since the X552 is integrated to the motherboard, have you double checked with your manufacturer if the FTLX8571D3BCV-IT is a compatible module?

Here is the info:

• As per the output of LSPCI, only thing I can see is : Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection X552 10 GbE Backplane
  • Mother board: https://www.kontron.com/products/boards-and-standard-form-factors/com-express/com-express-basic/come-bbd7.html
  • Carrier board: Connect Tech’s COM Express Type 7
  • X552 sits on carrier board exposing 10G interface
  • I haven't checked with the motherboard/carrier board manufactures, but all I am thiking that "ixgbe 5.6.5 & X552 & FTLX8571D3BCV-IT". I will check with the manufacturer, but wondering how it related to manufacturer

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello SVoon1,

Thank you for the quick reply.

After further checking, based on the read me file of the driver for your Ethernet controller, SFP+ devices based on the Intel(R) Ethernet Connection X552 and Intel(R) Ethernet Connection X553 do not support the following features:

* Speed and duplex auto-negotiation.

* Wake on LAN

* 1000BASE-T SFP Modules

You might want to check if thru the link below and scroll down to 'Overview'

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/14687/eng/readme.txt

Let us know if you have additional questions and clarifications on this matter.

Looking forward to your response.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
SVoon1
Beginner

The link negotiation works for 10G, but as I mentioned, the issue is intermittent. Where can I got more information on BASE-T, BASEKR/X etc

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello SVoon1,

Thank you for the reply.

Just to clarify, even if the link is set to 10G, you still encounter this as an intermittent issue? Please also elaborate your question regarding the information you are requesting for the BASE-T, BASEKR/X.

Awaiting to your response.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
SVoon1
Beginner

even if the link is set to 10G, you still encounter this as an intermittent issue?

[Santosh]: When it works, it just works and the negotiated link speed is 10G. When it doesn't work, the link never come up, not even 1G.

elaborate your question regarding the information you are requesting for the BASE-T, BASEKR/X

[Santosh]: I have two different link modes at either sides. One side it is BaseT and the other side it is BaseKR/KX. So I am wondering whether they work if they are connected? For this I need to read the documentation to get to know whether different link modes can work together when the speeds are same.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello SVoon1,

Appreciate your reply.

Please allow us to check on this. We will get back to you within 1-3 business days.

Hoping for your patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello SVoon1,

Thank you for the patience.

As much as we wanted to assist you on this matter, however, as this is an Ethernet controller that's embedded to your system, we would suggest to double check this issue with your manufacturer. It would be best if you can get in touch with them for further support since they have customized drivers and software to enable or alter features on your system. They are in best position where you can seek assistance so you don’t lose features or customizations of the Ethernet controller. Please visit this link for Support Options for Intel® Ethernet Controllers https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006628/network-and-io/ethernet-products.html

Let us know if you have additional questions and clarifications on this matter.

We look forward to your response.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello SVoon1,

Good day!

We'd like to check if you have additional questions an clarifications on this matter. If you do, please do not hesitate to let us know and we will glad to be of help.

Awaiting to your response.

In case we don't hear from you, we'll follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello SVoon1,

How are you today?

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future.

Have a lovely day! 

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos