Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4853 Discussions

BSOD on x540-t2 fcoe driver windows 2012r2u1

VChec
Beginner

Hi, there a problem with X540-T2:

Windows 2012R2 on HP380G6, OS with latest updates (U1 and etc.) latest Intel driver pack v19.1, X540-T2 connected to Cisco Nexus 5596T with enabled FCoE, OS does not boot if ethernet ports are enabled, when I disable its and OS sucessfuly booted, after I reenable ports on switch some times later I got BSOD - driver_irql_not_less_or_equal (ifM63x64.sys)

Is there hardware incompatibles?

0 Kudos
20 Replies
VChec
Beginner

up

0 Kudos
VChec
Beginner
0 Kudos
Craig_P_Intel
Employee

I've been talking with some of my engineering and development folks. We are unaware of an incompatibility between W2K12 R2, X540, FCoE, and the N5K. However, my team flagged "the latest upgrades". When FCoE is is installed, the the MS updates aren't recommended...especially for adapter. If there's a need to update any Intel component in the stack including the NIC or FCoE, the user should only use the Intel installed software or the results may be unpredictable.

Can you provide a memory dump file? I can probably get one of the developers to take a look.

Also, can you tell me if you picked the network driver from the ms updates? If you did, can you re-install the latest driver pack again now that your MS updates have completed. The MS network driver may be older then the one you loaded from driver pack 19.1.

0 Kudos
VChec
Beginner

Hi, MS updates i installed only for OS etc. security and critical patches. For x540 I installed original Intel driver pack v19.1, as I wrote before, no ms updated driver for x540

Dumps and sysinfo available here https://mega.co.nz/# !7E12EIyJ!fNcHHgCDYMqNCCMEaCe-RcgmyEchArJTevbpfR-TNFQ https://mega.co.nz/# !7E12EIyJ!fNcHHgCDYMqNCCMEaCe-RcgmyEchArJTevbpfR-TNFQ Please if You can, help me to solve this problem. As a last resort I will reinstall OS on server from latest MS iso's Windows 2012R2 Update1

0 Kudos
Craig_P_Intel
Employee

I've forwarded to my engineering folks. What firmware (version) is the Nexus 5596 running?

0 Kudos
Craig_P_Intel
Employee

My engineering found something in their (your system) code but not sure how it got there. Can you give me the steps you took so we can try to reproduce the problem?

0 Kudos
MCris5
Beginner

Hi, I have just encountered the same issue using Dell hardware. Is there any update or resolution ? thanks

0 Kudos
VChec
Beginner

Firmware on Nexus 6.0.2 (2), steps that I have done:

Install OS Windows 2012R2

Install some win patches and MS office 2013

Install Win2012R2 Update 1

Insert Intel x540-t2 card and install driver pack v19.1 with DCA option

After I enabled on Nexus port fcoe and bind it to fcoe vsan - link on port is up, all seems like a good, but after 2-5 min server stop with BSOD, and this situation repeat till I shut down ports on Nexus

0 Kudos
MCris5
Beginner

Rolling back to a previous driver version resolved the issue for us. We are now using 18.6.204 and so far it looks good.

Intel - Any idea when 19.x will be fixed ?

0 Kudos
Craig_P_Intel
Employee

Good to hear you got this working by rolling back the driver. I will pass on all of this information to the engineers and get back to you as soon as I can.

0 Kudos
Craig_P_Intel
Employee

We added a fix . It should be there in the next release. I wasn't able to get a timeline on the release date at this time but will post once I get a date.

0 Kudos
MCris5
Beginner

Thanks, the temp fix applied by rolling back to the earlier version of the driver helps, however operationally we still are seeing some issues (boot times of 5 mins). So if we can get release dates for the driver fix that would be helpful. thanks!

0 Kudos
Craig_P_Intel
Employee

BTW, could you share anything about your company or the work you are doing with FCoE. We are always looking at use cases and any successes our products may have. I see a lot of folks trying FCoE and am always interested in hearing about their environments.

Craig

0 Kudos
MCris5
Beginner

sure, send me your contact information and we can provide some details.

0 Kudos
Craig_P_Intel
Employee

I am in the Pacific (California)Time Zone.

0 Kudos
VChec
Beginner

Where I can get the temp fix? I try to roll back to v19.0, v18.8.1 - same issue, bsod after enable ports on switch and create a team adapter ( on v19.1 system down without bulding a team adapter).

In our enviroment x540-t2 connects to two Nexus 5596T, which links to each other by VPC, on swich ports enabled channel groups

version 6.0(2)N2(1)

interface Ethernet1/9

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk native vlan 301

switchport trunk allowed vlan 301,390

spanning-tree port type edge trunk

channel-group 39 mode active

interface vfc39

bind interface port-channel39

interface port-channel39

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk native vlan 301

switchport trunk allowed vlan 301,390

vpc 39

0 Kudos
MCris5
Beginner

While it was working for us, we did just get a bsod . Any timeline on the driver w/ fixes ?

0 Kudos
VChec
Beginner

cmpierce1 wrote:

BTW, could you share anything about your company or the work you are doing with FCoE. We are always looking at use cases and any successes our products may have. I see a lot of folks trying FCoE and am always interested in hearing about their environments.

Craig

I am working in http://stinscoman.com/ stinscoman.com (Russia), our company provide technical support and DB, File and virtualization servers support, Because all fc ports on our Nexus switches are occupied, I try to connect some test servers to storage system by fcoe links, this test we made to prepare our system expanding

0 Kudos
VChec
Beginner

Hi, is there any fix to intel fcoe and windows 2012R2 mpio service - volume from san has 4 dublicate luns, i.e. multipath does not work.

0 Kudos
Craig_P_Intel
Employee

Unfortunately had this come through the proper channels, Dell BITS filed from the Comms support team, it would have likely gotten the attention it needed, been fixed and in a release. I have never received issues in this manner and on hindsight, should have pointed you towards your support team from the beginning. Because of this, I would ask you to work through your OEM (Dell or HP) to bring up any other issues so we can get them into the right channels to get them fixed.

Intel and Dell are working together to get the patch completed and available for distribution. I will update this blog and respond to the email once I have a timeline.

0 Kudos