Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

Can't get 1000Mbps under Windows 7 RC1 with PRO/1000 GT

idata
Employee

I have an Intel PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter which only connects at 10Mbps under Windows 7 RC1. Same card/computer/cable etc. booted under XP can connect at 1000Mbps to my switch (NetGear GS105), if I force the card to master mode. But under Windows 7 even after setting to force master mode it won't do 1000 or even 100, it falls back to 10. Any ideas? There is a diagnostic which said the cable was missing pairs required to make a gigabit connection, but that's obviously false since the same cable works under XP (and I did a transfer under XP and timed it to make sure it wasn't just lying to me about the speed).

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Douglas_B_Intel
Employee

I would be concerned that its still RC1 and might be missing something. If you have the final bits available I would use those. I know the cable worked with XP, but if you have a spare trying it out would be interesting to. Maybe the cable is marginal and the inbox driver being a more simple driver than the one that ships from Intel just can't make it happen. If you can try those two things out that would be a great start.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I see that I left out any info about drivers. First thing I found on intel.com was PROWIN732.EXE. It said "No Intel adapters found", though Device Manager certainly knew it was an Intel adapter. I looked further and downloaded/unzipped AllNetworkAdapterDrivers_13_5, told Device Manager to update driver, pointed it at the PRO1000\WIN32 subfolder. That gave some advanced options in Device Manager but still would only connect at 10Mbps. Some further web reading made me think that maybe that PROWIN732 really was what I wanted, so I tried it again, and this time it worked. Device Manager now has several new tabs for this adapter, help text for settings, etc. Still only connects at 10Mbps though. The properties on PROWIN732.EXE say version 4.0.100.1124. Device Manager says driver version 8.3.15.0.

I'll see what I can do about getting a final version of Windows 7.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I downloaded Release_14.7_Web_CD and ran the autorun to install it. But Device Manager still says the device driver is version 8.3.15.0 from 9/23/2008. What am I doing wrong? Shouldn't it be version 14.7, dated 10/23/2009, according to the web site?

I have not yet installed the "real" Windows 7. Kinda hoping that in time there will be a path to it much lower cost than $120.

Found Intel Driver Update Utility. It thought I should have version 8.10.3.0 and after many OK clicks it ran PRO2K.EXE and then tried to run PRO2KXP.EXE but that failed. At the end of it all Device Manager still says I have 8.3.15.0 and my connection remains a paltry 10Mbps.

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

The driver that comes with Windows* 7 is the only driver for your adapter. Your adapter is on the http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/CS-030613.htm list of adapters that only have "in box" support in Windows 7. That is why the CD and the other download did not update your driver version. That should not be a big deal since your issue is probably not related to the driver.

As to your speed problem, you might try updating your switch's firmware (if it has an update available.) You could also try forcing the same speed & duplex settings on both the switch and the adapter (if your switch can be configured.) If the diagnostics show a problem with the cable, I would borrow another cable and try it just to rule it out. Let us know whatever you find.

Mark H

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Unfortunately there is no updateable firmware for this switch. Not even any DIP switches. A different Cat6 cable and a different GS105 behave identically.

If the issue isn't related to the driver, what do you suppose it is? Is this particular adapter defective?

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

I doubt that the adapter is defective. As you pointed out in your original post, everything worked fine under Windows XP.

I just installed WIndows 7 (RTM, not RC1) on my desktop and connected my Intel(R) PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter to a Netgear Prosafe GS724AT switch. I get a 1.0 Gbps link. I am using all default settings on my adapter.

Do you have Link Speed & Duplex on the adapter set for Auto Negotiation? Usually, there is no change the speed & duplex options. Is there anything you changed on any of your network settings in Windows or in the adapter properties?

Maybe this problem will clear up after youu install the released version of Windows 7. That is what I would try at this point.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Same behavior with Link Speed set to Auto Negotiation, Advanced/Gigabit Master Slave Mode set to Auto Detect, Performance/Flow Control set to Rx/Tx Enabled.

If it helps, I have the same model adapter in a Linux box, and the driver "out of the box" connects to the switch at 10 Mbps. I have to recompile the e1000 driver with the CFLAGS_EXTRA=-DE1000_MASTER_SLAVE=1. That's why on Windows 7 I have tried setting Gigabit Master Slave Mode to Force Master Mode, but it hasn't helped. On Linux I also add to the modprobe command "AutoNeg=0x28", which if I recall correctly tries to force a gigabit connection - tried to accomplish the same thing on Windows 7 by setting Link Speed to 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex, but it still connects at 10 Mbps.

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

I think you are on to something here. If you had to compile your driver with CFLAGS_EXTRA=-DE1000_MASTER_SLAVE=1 to get a 1 Gig negotiated link, then that tells me that the Ethernet controller in your switch is set to only work as a slave and some incompatibility between the switches Ethernet controller and the Intel Ethernet controller is not allowing a normal connection. In that case, I do not know any way to work around that for Windows 7.

Support for that setting requires Intel(R) PROSet and there is no Intel(R) PROSet for your adapter in Windows 7. In other words, you should not be seeing an option to configure the Gigabit Master Slave Mode in the Advanced Adapter Settings and configuring the Gigabit Master Slave Mode is probably having no effect.

Still, I wonder if we could get around this by adding a new string to the registry key for that adapter. I do not know if that would work, but you could always try.

Here are the steps to try. First a disclaimer.

CAUTION: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require that you reinstall your operating system.

Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
  1. Run regedt32
  2. Navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4DE36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. All the network adapters have numbered entries under that key.
  3. Search for your adapter name (use Control+F), Intel(R) PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter. You will find the name as the data for the DriverDesc string.
  4. Add a new string value to the numbered key. (Right click on the numbered folder and choose New String Value). NOTE: You do not need a new string value if you already have a string named MasterSlave. Instead, you can just change the data's value in step 6.
  5. Name the new string value MasterSlave
  6. Modify the new string value data. Set the value data to 1. (0 = Auto Detect; 1 = Force Master Mode; and 2 = Force Slave Mode)
  7. If forcing master mode, data set to 1 does not work; go ahead and try forcing slave mode, data set to 2.

Like I said. I do not know if this will allow you to connect at 1 Gbps or not, but maybe this will work. Please post your results back here.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Changed MasterSlave from 0 to 1, rebooted, 10 Mbps connection. Changed it to 2, rebooted, 10 Mbps connection. Set it back to 1 and took a shot in the dark - changed "*SpeedDuplex" to 6, trying to force a 1 Gbps connection - but no, still just 10 Mbps.

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

Considering what you had to do in Linux, this appears to be an incompatibility between your switch and that adapter. I cannot think of anything else for you to try other than a different Ethernet adapter or a different switch.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

... except that the same adapter/switch/cable do make a gigabit connection running Windows XP.

Thanks for your efforts.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Is Build 7600 the RTM of Windows 7 Ultimate for x86? I can't see how to tell. Anyway still at 10 Mbps with it.

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

Thanks for updating the thread. No driver update is planned, but I will still escalate this issue to the appropriate sustaining team. I can't promise a new driver, but maybe we can come up with something that will help. I will post updates to this thread as I have them.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sorry to revive a dead thread. I am also having issues with the PRO/1000 GT card only doing 10 Mbps on Windows 7. My onboard runs just fine at 1 GB and Auto Negotiates almost instantly. While as when i plug the cord into my PRO/1000 GT 10 Mbps, and it takes about 30 seconds in order to negotiate. I've tried forcing it, and what not. Still nothing. I'm using a Netgear switch as well. (Netgear Prosafe gs105 to be exact) I cannot update the switch and would really hate it if i had to. (seeing as its an unmanaged switch, I can't touch it.)

Is there any enlightment on this issue yet? Also, they are still selling these cards, I don't understand why you are not providing drivers for them?

I should also add, It was working fine until I installed 7, and have been using onboard ever since, but it causes some latency issues, which is why i bought this card in the first place, and would love for it to work without a hitch again.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have the same problem on Windows 7 Ultimate with an Intel Desktop DP55KG motherboard connecting to a netgear switch. Out of the box, the intel nic connects with 10 Mbps. I can hard set it to 100 Mbps Full Duplex, but 1 Gbps causes it (the nic) to go off-line. This is the on-board nic.

What Windows says:

Intel(R) 82578DC Gigabit Network Connection

Driver 11.0.41.0

6/22/2009

Checked the "update driver ..." option but there is no update available.

Had a prior intel mobo in this box and it worked just fine with the netgear switch (prior mobo was a D53350 with Core 2 Quad).

The only change made was the motherboard/cpu, and now I don't get gigabit ethernet. Motherboard has updated firmware too as of 10/2010.

Is there a bios setting on this mobo that controls the on-board ethernet controller's link speed negotiation?

0 Kudos