Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4859 Discussions

Can't make i40e driver on mainline kernel ( 5.0.10 )

amindomao
Beginner
$ make make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/kernels/5.0.10-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64' CC [M] /home/amindomao/intel/i40e-2.7.26/src/i40e_main.o In file included from /home/amindomao/intel/i40e-2.7.26/src/i40e_main.c:9:0: /home/amindomao/intel/i40e-2.7.26/src/i40e_helper.h: In function ‘i40e_allocate_dma_mem_d’: /home/amindomao/intel/i40e-2.7.26/src/i40e_helper.h:24:2: error: implicit declaration of function ‘dma_zalloc_coherent’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration] mem->va = dma_zalloc_coherent(&nf->pdev->dev, mem->size, ^ /home/amindomao/intel/i40e-2.7.26/src/i40e_helper.h:24:10: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast [enabled by default] mem->va = dma_zalloc_coherent(&nf->pdev->dev, mem->size, ^ /home/amindomao/intel/i40e-2.7.26/src/i40e_main.c: At top level: /home/amindomao/intel/i40e-2.7.26/src/i40e_main.c:12783:2: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default] .ndo_bridge_setlink = i40e_ndo_bridge_setlink, ^ /home/amindomao/intel/i40e-2.7.26/src/i40e_main.c:12783:2: warning: (near initialization for ‘i40e_netdev_ops.ndo_bridge_setlink’) [enabled by default] cc1: some warnings being treated as errors make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:277: /home/amindomao/intel/i40e-2.7.26/src/i40e_main.o] Error 1 make[1]: *** [Makefile:1575: _module_/home/amindomao/intel/i40e-2.7.26/src] Error 2 make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/kernels/5.0.10-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64' make: *** [default] Error 2

I've tried to make the driver from 2.7.29 sources also - result is the same.

With older kernels like 4.4.179 the driver could be compiled.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Mike_Intel
Hello amindomao, Thank you for patiently waiting. After further checking,we would like to inform you that the kernel 5.0.10 is not yet supported. There is no word yet on when can your OS will support kernel 5.0.10. Kindly monitor the link below for the latest update. https://sourceforge.net/projects/e1000/files/i40e%20stable/ If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Mike_Intel
Hello amindomao, Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. For me to further check this issue. Can you provide the following information about your system: 1. What is the brand and model of your NIC card? 2. What is your OS? 3. What is the model of your system? Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
amindomao
Beginner
  1. I have not got any NIC yet. I'm just trying to get recent drivers for the NIC I'm going to buy.
  2. My OS is Centos with mainline kernel from community approved repository - ELRepo.
  3. System is Dell R620.
0 Kudos
amindomao
Beginner

I've tried different versions of gcc also, with no success.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello amindomao, I am sorry as I need to further clarify your inquiry. Are you trying to program a driver using 5.0.10 or you are just looking for the latest generic driver? As for generic driver, we only have one download site which is: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
amindomao
Beginner

Hello!

I have Linux OS, CENTOS 7.5 exactly. I'm using a main line linux kernel version 5.0.10 and trying to build intel xl710 driver for my OS. I've tried driver versions 2.7.26 and i40e-2.7.29 - the result is the error during building process, which part is in my first post.

0 Kudos
amindomao
Beginner

Look at the screenshot please.

Selection_661.png

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello amindomao, Are you installing the driver or programming a driver? Can you explain further when you say you are trying to build intel xl710 driver. If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
amindomao
Beginner

Ok. Lets try in another way.

I've downloaded the driver I need ( look at the above screenshot ); unpacked it and followed the installation instruction from README file.Selection_662.png

The error from my initial post I've got after running the fourth step.

Selection_663.png

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello amindomao, Thank you for the clarification. We need to further check this and I will update this thread. If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
amindomao
Beginner

Thank you for your time. I'll be here :)

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello amindomao, Thank you for patiently waiting. After further checking,we would like to inform you that the kernel 5.0.10 is not yet supported. There is no word yet on when can your OS will support kernel 5.0.10. Kindly monitor the link below for the latest update. https://sourceforge.net/projects/e1000/files/i40e%20stable/ If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello amindomao, Just checking if you still have questions or clarifications, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello amindomao, Sending a follow up to check if you have further questions. Please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos