Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Can we use SFP transceiver with a "X710 Dual Port 10Gb Direct Attach SFP+ Converged NetworkAdapter"?

AnoopS
Beginner

Hi,

I have this following NIC - "Intel X710 Dual Port 10Gb Direct Attach, SFP+ Converged Network Adapter".

I need to use this NIC on my serer, which would then be plugged into a switch which has a 1G connection though. From what I understand I can't use a SFP+ transceiver for my X710 since it is 10G, and have a peer switc connection which is 1G, since this is not compatible and the speed won't be autonegotiated down to 1G from 10G on my X710.

Instead will my X710 work if I instead plug a SFP(1G I assume) transceiver with my X710, instead of a SFP+ transceiver, so that way my X710 will be 1G and the peer switch it is plugged in would also be 1G?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello AnoopS,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

We don't recommend using 3rd party SFP+ cables and modules on our ethernet cards. For more details, please open the link below to know more about compatibility and to get the list of compatible SFP+ cables and modules.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007045/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technicians

0 Kudos
AnoopS
Beginner

Thanks for the response. I did check the link you gave, but it doesn't mention any 1G SFP(not SFP+) modules.

Does this NIC support 1G SFP modules and are any available from Intel?

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello AnoopS,

On the link that I provided, kindly expand the first topic it says there:

• Intel® Ethernet SFP+ SR Optics and Intel® Ethernet SFP+ LR Optics are the only 10-Gbps optical modules supported. You can purchase these modules separately.

Kindly expand the different topics to know more information and compatible modules and cables.

Here is the link again:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007045/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
AnoopS
Beginner

I understand that SFP 1G is not supported. Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello AnoopS,

Thank for the quick reply. Kindly tell us if you still have clarifications regarding this thread.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello AnoopS,

I hope you are having a good day. I just want to check if you have additional questions regarding this thread?

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello AnoopS,

I am just sending another follow up to check if you still have clarifications. 

Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need further assistance, please post a new question. 

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos