Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4809 Discussions

Cannot enable hardware offloads for I219-LM. How to fix?

MSchu73
Beginner

Hello, I have a Dell OptiPlex 7040 with Intel Ethernet Connection I219-LM running Windows 10 Pro 1909 x64 with driver version 12.18.9.10. For some reason when I go into adapter properties all of the offload options are disabled (ex. IPv4 Checksum Offload). I can enable the settings but upon going back into adapter properties all of the offload options are disabled again...

I've uninstalled and deleted the driver from my machine using Device Manager. I've then downloaded the latest driver from Intel's website (PROWinx64) which installed the Intel PROSet Adapter Configuration Utility and I tried enabling the offload settings in there but again when I go back in they're disabled. What's going on?

I have Oracle VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet adapter and Watchguard Secure Client Virtual NDIS6.20 adapter installed. But I've had these adapters installed forever and I recall the offloads being enabled at one point while I had those adapters installed. I suspect a Windows Update has broken the offload functionality?

I'd like to get these offloads back enabled for optimal network performance.

0 Kudos
31 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello MSchu73,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities,

Please provide the following information for us to check on your request.

1.) Is this a newly built system?

2.) How many systems are affected by this issue?

3.) Is there any software or hardware changes on the system prior to the issue?

4.) Please provide the System Support Utility log of your system. This will allow us to check your Adapter details and configuration.

a- Go to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600 and download the software.

b- Open SSU.exe

c- Mark the box "Everything" and then click "Scan".

d- When finished scanning, click "Next".

e- Click on "Save" and attach the file to a post.

Looking forward to your response.

In case we don't hear from you, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle Franz

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
MSchu73
Beginner

Answers:

1 - NO

2 - 1 so far

3 - updated Windows and drivers; although I'm not sure if I had the issue before

4 - find the attached file.

Thank you for assisting with this. From what I've found I think the issue is related to Windows 10 and/or a recent Windows update.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello MSchu73,

Thank you for the prompt reply.

In relation to item number 3, does this mean that you haven't enabled hardware offload before and you are trying to enable this for the first time?

updated Windows and drivers; although I'm not sure if I had the issue before

Awaiting to your response.

In case we don't hear from you, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle Franz

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
MSchu73
Beginner

Hello, thank you for the prompt reply.

Whenever I setup any computer I go into advanced NIC properties and ensure it's configured optimally: ensure all offloads are enabled, increase transmit/receive buffers to maximum values, disable EEE and other power saving features. I know that at one point this workstation did have those offloads enabled. Again, I think a Windows update has caused an issue here and/or a recent driver release. I think a new driver needs to be released to address this issue.

P.S. I also have a Dell Latitude 5580 laptop (ST: 8VQK5M2) with the same Ethernet adapter (I219-LM) and the offload options don't even show up in advanced NIC properties anymore. It's running Windows 10 Pro 1909 x64. Driver version: 12.17.8.7 (latest version according to Dell).

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello MSchu73,

Appreciate your swift response.

Please allow us to further check on this. Rest assured that we will get back to you within 2-3 business days.

Hoping for your kind patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle Franz

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello MSchu73,

Apologies for the delay on this matter.

You mentioned that you have a Dell Latitude 5580, we'd like to check if you have already tried the Intel PROSet Adapter Configuration Utility on this and were you able to see the missing options?

Looking forward to hear from you.

Should there be no response, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle Franz

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
MSchu73
Beginner

Hello,

I did not have the PROSet Adapter Configuration Utility on my laptop. I just downloaded and installed the latest full driver (including IPACU) on my laptop, version: 12.18.9.10. After restarting I now see all the options under Adapter Properties>Advanced tab. Similar to the desktop computer, all of the offloads were disabled. I tried re-enabling them all from the Windows Adapter Properties>Advanced tab, restarted and checked. The offload options reverted back to disabled.

So I then tried opening the PROSet utility and it came up with an error message: " You must have administrator privileges to use this utility", which is odd because I do have admin privileges on the laptop. I was able to open the utility by right-clicking the icon and selecting Run As Administrator. I then use the utility to enable all of the offloads. I click Apply Changes... the progress bar shows that it's applying changed. The program then closes (no error message). I then reboot my laptop, open the utility and the offloads have reverted back to disabled. What has happened here that I can no longer enable offloads under Windows 10?

The only other thing I can think of is that I'm using 802.1X authentication on both machines. But that shouldn't affect offloads?

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello MSchu73,

Appreciate your reply.

Is this the only error message you got? You must have administrator privileges to use this utility. Or is there any error code number you got? If yes, please share it with us as it will help in further investigating your request.

Hoping to hear from you.  

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't receive a reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle Franz

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
MSchu73
Beginner

The message about needing administrator privileges is the only error message I receive, nothing else. This happens on both my Dell Latitude 5580 laptop and my Dell Optiplex 7040 desktop computer. In both cases I am already signed in as an administrator. As well, on both machines if I try to enable the offloads using the PROSet configuration utility it shows "Applying changes" and then the program just closes without any error message. Upon re-opening the PROSet utility (using "Run As Administrator" it shows the offloads disabled...

0 Kudos
MSchu73
Beginner

Update: the behavior of the PROSet utility is not the same between the laptop and desktop. On the desktop, upon enabling an offload (ex. IPv4 Checksum Offload) and clicking Apply Changes, the program window remains open, the network adapter goes offline briefly and it appears like it's applying the changes but then the window refreshes and the setting is back to being disabled. So the program doesn't close on the desktop, but it fails to enable the offload settings.

Another thing that seemed odd in the PROSet utility is it lists my connection speed at the top "1.00 Gbps Full Duplex", however lower on the screen under Adapter Information it shows "Not supported" for Negotiated Link Speed, Negotiated Link Width, and Port... just seems odd to me. This is the same reading in the PROSet utility on both my laptop and desktop.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello MSchu73,

Thank you for the reply.

Please allow us to investigate the issue you are having. We will give you an update as soon as there is any findings but no later than 3 business days.

Hoping for your patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle Franz

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello MSchu73,

Thank you for the patience on this matter. 

Can you share if you have tried the driver provided by Dell? The software drivers linked from Intel page are generic versions, and can be used for general purposes. However, OEMs might have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to the software or software packaging they provide. To avoid any potential installation incompatibilities on your OEM system, Intel recommends that you check with your OEM and use the software provided via your system manufacturer. 

Please give us an update once you've tried contacting Dell for further assistance.

We look forward to hear from you.

In case we don't receive a reply, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle Franz

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
MSchu73
Beginner

Hello, thank you for the response.

I have only ever used recommended and up to date drivers from Dell until I noticed that my offloads were disabled and I was unable to turn them on. At which point I uninstalled and re-installed the Dell drivers with no resolution. After this I installed the latest drivers and software available on Intel's website with same results.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello MSchu73,

Thank you for the prompt reply and for the effort in trying out different drivers.

Since the issue still persist using Dell and Intel driver, please allow us to further investigate this issue. We will give you an update as soon as possible but no later 2-4 business days

Hoping for your kind understanding.

Best regards,

Crisselle Franz

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello MSchu73,

Good day!

We'd like to double check if you had already consulted this issue with your system manufacturer? Since the Ethernet controller is integrated to the system, there might be customization done to the controller and you may ask them to replicate the issue on their end to for further isolation. Once you've heard from them, kindly share their feedback with us.

We look forward to hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle Franz

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
MSchu73
Beginner

Yes. Their suggestion is to reformat the system which is not an option for me. Both the laptop and desktop did have offloads enabled at one point. I think you need to investigate with Dell to see if they released UEFI/BIOS firmware which has created an issue with Intel NIC's, perhaps also related to Windows 10. Perhaps one of the CPU vulnerabilities prompted a fix which led to this issue. I will check on some newer Dell hardware to see if this issue applies to them as well.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello MSchu73,

Thank you for the reply.

While we are waiting for your update once you've checked on some newer Dell hardware to see if this issue applies to them as well, we will let our engineers know that you've already raised this concern to Dell. Rest assured that we will give you an update as soon as we've heard from them but no later than 2-4 business days.

Hoping for your kind patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle Franz

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello MSchu73,

Thank you for the patience on this matter.

Since you have mentioned that there's one point wherein these systems have the offloads enabled, can you share if there are any changes done on the system that might trigger the issue? Like firmware on the NIC, is there BIOS update done lately? If yes, what is the current version and version prior to update? 

We hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,

Crisselle Franz

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
MSchu73
Beginner

No firmware updates on the NIC's themselves. But I've done numerous Windows updates, as well as driver updates from both Dell and Intel. I can't recall what version was in use before the issues were discovered.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello MSchu73,

Appreciate your swift response.

Can you share if you have done BIOS update? If yes, what is the current version and the version prior to update? 

Looking forward to your response.

Best regards,

Crisselle Franz

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos