Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4866 Discussions

Cannot get past 100 mbps on Ethernet 1219-V/Cat6/Netgear AC1200 Router

gred
Beginner

I am struggling to get my ethernet connection beyond 100 mbps, and I am not sure whether this is a router problem. I will list my devices here and what I've tried.

I have Intel Ethernet 1219-V, and recently got a router which advertises as:

"NETGEAR WiFi Router (R6230) - AC1200 Dual Band Wireless | 4 x 1G Ethernet"

So I thought this means I can get theoretically up to 1GB speeds via ethernet. I successfully set up the wifi and it does give one of my laptops a reported ~117 mb connection. My ISP says we should get speeds up to 200 mbps. 

I'm running a cat6 flat 100 foot cable to my PC, and it is relatively new, so I don't know if it's likely there is any cable damage. But I suppose with all the bending along the walls between the router and PC it can be possible. 

I've checked the speed under advanced and it shows 1 gb as an option - selecting this makes it unable to detect the connection (network cable unplugged) so I have to leave it as auto.

I have run one of the programs I found here to get full details on my setup and you can see that I have disabled power management but let me know if I missed something there.

I have also shown that it is only reporting 100 mbps on the properties of the connection.

Finally, the ethernet lights on my PC are solid orange and blinking yellow, if that is relevant.

I fear it is the router, and that I need to get a different one, but I am confused about why they report 1 gb ethernet and cap it at 100, and what I need to look for if that is the issue.

Thanks for any help or suggestions. I've been going through dozens of threads so I hope someone knows something different to try. I will provide more information if needed.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Gred,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities.

We are sorry to hear that your Ethernet connections is capped at 100mbps.

Before we further investigate the issue, can you please confirm if you already tried the steps from below link and check if it will help fixing the issue?

Intel® Ethernet Connection I219-V Unable to Reach Gigabit Speed

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058667/ethernet-products/gigabit-ethernet-controllers-up-to-2-5gbe.html

Hoping to hear from you soon. 

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't receive a reply. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
gred
Beginner

Hi Crisselle, I have resolved the issue. It turned out to be the router having only 100/10 WLAN ports, despite saying gigabit online. I was able to get much higher speeds just getting a different router. So consider this issue resolved.

Double check your router ports being capable of 1000 MBPS and make sure you have a cat 5e or greater cable if you have this issue, future reader.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Gred,

Thank you for the prompt reply. 

We are glad to hear that the issue has been resolved after getting a different router. We also appreciate your effort in sharing the issue resolution on this thread as this will indeed help other customers rule out the possible issue in case they encounter the same problem. 

Please be informed that we will now close this request since the issue was now resolved. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank you for choosing Intel and stay safe!

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos