Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Configuring 1 PPS in Intel® Ethernet Network Adapter XXV710-DA2T

Dinesha
Novice

Hi,

We are using Intel® Ethernet Network Adapter XXV710-DA2T. We configured PTP boundary clock functionality. i.e one NIC port is  configured as slave and another one as a master. 

[PTP Grand master(1G eth ptp broadcast msg)-->Huawei Cloud Engine 6865, eth switch with 1G/10G port(25G network port+optical fiber)--> Server  NIC port (25G slave port)].

We are able to see PTP packets coming out of master port and synchronized to grand master. But we are unable to see 1 PPS from SMA port(checked both SMA port). How to enable 1 PPS from SMA port. Is there any configuration required for SMA port?

Thanks& Regards

Dinesha

Mavenir

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Dinesha
Novice

Hi  @Mike_Intel  ,

Our organization have Intel premier support . We raised ticket there and  got user guide manual , We will try accordingly.

Thanks

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello Dinesha,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

For us to further check the issue, please provide the following details.

1. What is your OS and its version?
  2. Can you share the link of your latest driver?
  3. If you are using a PCIe network card, please provide photos of the card on both sides focusing on the markings.
  4. Can you explain further explain the guide that you need regarding the SMA port?

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Dinesha
Novice

Hi @Mike_Intel ,

Please find the details:

1. Centos, version 7.6
  2. Driver: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24411/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-PCIe-40-Gigabit-Ethernet-Network-Connections-under-Linux-

Refer image: NIC_drver_Version.PNG

1. NIC card is already installed on server. We don't have full photo. Refer image: NIC_card_image.PNG

• We need derive the 1PPS signal at SMA port from PTP Packets available at NIC card.
  • We need to measure 1 PPS output at SMA, currently we are not seeing any output at SMA port.
  • In Solution brief doc it is mentioned that “Configuration of the SDPs/GPIOs required”. How to do it? Refer image: SMA_config.PNG
  • Our Setup is Boundary Clock Functionality. refer image: 1_PPS_setup.PNG  (Which is available on 5 page of Intel Solution brief of “Meeting 5G Edge Clock Synchronization Challenges with Hardware-Enhanced Precision Time Protocol (PTP)” documents.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Michael,

We are trying to get 1  PPS out from SMA pins provided on XXV710-DA2T.  Please provide detailed information on "User-configurable I/O pins drive the SMAs and provide built-in timing coordination between ports".

[root@localhost xxv710-da2]# ethtool -i enp179s0f0
driver: i40e
version: 2.10.19.82
firmware-version: 7.30 0x800083ad 1.2684.0
expansion-rom-version:
bus-info: 0000:b3:00.0
supports-statistics: yes
supports-test: yes
supports-eeprom-access: yes
supports-register-dump: yes
supports-priv-flags: yes

[root@localhost xxv710-da2]# ethtool -i enp179s0f1
driver: i40e
version: 2.10.19.82
firmware-version: 7.30 0x800083ad 1.2684.0
expansion-rom-version:
bus-info: 0000:b3:00.1
supports-statistics: yes
supports-test: yes
supports-eeprom-access: yes
supports-register-dump: yes
supports-priv-flags: yes

We are using CentOS :

[root@localhost xxv710-da2]# cat /etc/centos-release
CentOS Linux release 7.9.2009 (Core)

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Dinesha,

For us to check the steps, can you share the Solution brief doc that you are following.

We would also appreciate if you can provide the other markings of the card for us to validate the card.

You can refer to this link for the markings that we are looking for in the Network card:

https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/articles/000005625/services.html

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Dinesha
Novice

Hi  @Mike_Intel  ,

Our organization have Intel premier support . We raised ticket there and  got user guide manual , We will try accordingly.

Thanks

0 Kudos
ChrRaj00
Novice

Hello Dinesha,

I'm also looking for this user guide manual and can't find it.

Do you have a download link that you can share with me?

Or please share how you managed to configure the SMA outputs.

Thanks a lot!

Christian

kharo22
Novice

Hi Dinesha

Is it possible to get your solution please ?

I set an echo into /sys/class/ptp/ptp0/pps_enable within sudo I am not authorized to write inside (ubuntu 20.04 kernel 5.13)

Thanks

0 Kudos
LloydPogi
Beginner

write a bash script containing echo commands to configure the pins. then run the bash script with sudo. 

0 Kudos
ChrRaj00
Novice

Hi,

to get the required Information we are all looking for i had to sign up at Intel for a Developer account. This normally also includes an NDA agreement. Only with this NDA Developer Account you have access to the documentation you will need.

Search for the Document/Implementation Guide "PTP Time Sync Testing and PPS", Content ID: 631173. This includes a driver patch that enables the PPS functionality. Be careful, the driver patch has a bug. A method is not available anymore and you have to use the 64 bit version of it. The compiler will show an error and it is not hard to fix it. Just change the name and it will compile.

The second document/User Guide you need is called "Intel® Ethernet Network Adapter
XXV710-DA2T", Content ID: 633250. This includes the information on how to set up the SMA ports and what configurations are possible.

I'm sorry that i can't give you more details. Please contact Intel support for help. The documents you are looking for are not publicly available and require you to have an NDA agreement via a Developer account.

Best Regards,

Chris

0 Kudos
vasavi_1
Beginner

Hi,

Actually PTP configured in a NIC card, PTP is user configurable we can modify and update those parameters by using ethtool  function but while installing respective driver .. how can i get config files related to that PTP with out using ethtool , just by changing paramtere in config file.. when nic card connected to linux kernel how can i change....

0 Kudos