Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Constant cpu usage (20%) by Intel PROSet Monitoring Service

AAdja
Novice

Hello there,

I recently noticed that cpu isconstantly being used by Intel PROSet Monitoring Service. About 20%.

At first I noticed that Svchost.exe was using 20% but ProcessExplorer suggested that it was Intel PROSet Monitoring Service that was running svchost that high.

When I stop Intel PROSet Monitoring Service, cpu goes back to 0%-1% when idle.

I see no problem at all after stopping the service.

Can you guys tell me the prupose of it and why it would contantly use 20% of my cpu?

French guy here so go easy on the writing critics!

Thanks.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I have moved your post at:

Allan.

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Arnoldo,

Thank you for the post. Let me further check for you as I understand Intel PROSet Monitoring Service is used to monitor the network adapter's status.

Thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
AAdja
Novice
0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Arnoldo,

We are still checking on this. By the way,

-what is the model of the network adapter you are using here?

-What is the operating system used?

-Your system board and model?

Thanks.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Arnoldo,

Regarding the PROSet monitoring service, it is used to actively monitors changes to the system and updates affected network devices to keep them running in optimal condition. stopping this service may negatively affect the performance of the network devices on the system

We did some test and check in the process explorer, did not encounter the 20% CPU utilization but only consumed 3MB in our test. Can you share additional info

about the usage also.

thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
AAdja
Novice

Hi,

Computer: HP Compaq Pro 6300 Microtower

Network adapter: Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection

All I found about the system board is that replacement number: 657239-001

I switched the ProSet monitoring service to "manual" start and haven't had any problem since...

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Arnoldo,

Thank you for the information and glad to know the problem did not occur anymore.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
AAdja
Novice

Well...the problem is off because I turned the service down...

Doesn't explain why the problem happened.

st4
New Contributor III

Hi Arnoldo,

Let me check if we can find anything.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Arnoldo,

Good day.We are not able to reproduce the issue you encountered and so far did not received similar issue reported. What you can do is to contact HP* support

if they have similar reported issue. You may also try provide us the SSU logs for us to understand your hardware configuration but we cannot guarantee we can get someting out of it as this is onboard NIC on third party system.

Here is the website you can download the SSU utility to generate the SSU log.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
AKohn1
Beginner

Hi,

I just encountered a similar issue, and was able to solve it by updating the intel driver from "whatever windows 10 has by default" to "21.0", and not installing the proset monitoring or the SNMP functionality. The CPU usage was caused by many WMI requests per second, each failing and triggering a log entry into WMI-Activity/Operational log.

http://www.mcbsys.com/blog/2013/11/thousands-of-wmi-event-id-10-errors-after-server-2012-r2-upgrade/ Thousands of WMI Event ID 10 Errors after Server 2012 R2 Upgrade | MCB Systems has a write up, which seems to match my situation quite closely: the issue started to occur after installing Docker for Windows Beta, which requires Hyper-V. This is one example of the event entry:

5858 0 2 0 0 0x4000000000000000 295380653 Microsoft-Windows-WMI-Activity/Operational computername

{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} computername NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM 2656 Unknown Start IWbemServices::ExecNotificationQuery - root\virtualization : SELECT * FROM __InstanceOperationEvent WITHIN 10 WHERE (TargetInstance ISA 'Msvm_ExternalEthernetPort') OR (TargetInstance ISA 'Msvm_VmLANEndpoint') OR (TargetInstance ISA 'Msvm_SyntheticEthernetPort') OR (TargetInstance ISA 'Msvm_ComputerSystem') OR (TargetInstance ISA 'Msvm_VLANEndpointSettingData') 0x80041010 Unknown

Maybe this helps.

idata
Employee

Good day,

I also encountered this CPU use (likely WMI) issue on a Dell 6700 with the Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection & windows 10 aniv. Submitted SSU & screenshots to Intel customer support ref # 01789158...& referenced this thread.

with some drivers for the 82579LM on windows 10, I had encountered high system interrupt levels leading to similar cpu slowdown on this same Dell, so much so I had started to use a USB 3 gigabit network adapter for several months...the Intel adapter seemed ok after the recent windows 10 Anniversary update until today when I encountered this same issue.