Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4853 Discussions

DELL PowerEdge M630 with Intel Ethernet 2P 10G x520-k bNDC - reboot issue

Lats
Novice

Hi all,

We have eliminated any HW issues with Dell on the M630 blade system. Problem is network card related for certain but we have ran out of options on what else to try next.

Server was re-built with Server 2016 Datacenter to be used as a Hyper-V host. 

First initial build uses Windows drivers where we have no issues (rebooted the server multiple times).

It is when we install the Intel drivers and reboot the server, first it reboots itself soon after it gets to login screen (no BSOD or memory dump).

After this, it goes in to continuous reboot mode during the first initialization, right after the memory check completes it reboots again.

Fix around this is to shutdown the server and do a virtual re-seat. Once it completes this we boot Windows in safe mode without network and disable all the NIC's and reboot normally.

After Windows loads, we can enable the host NIC and use the server but same reboot cycle issue occurs again if we were to reboot the server.

We have tried all versions of Intel drivers from the oldest to the latest from both Intel and Dell site but same thing keeps happening.

We have other servers in the same chassis and we do not see this issue with any of them

Any ideas what is happening and how to fix this please? 

TIA

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Lats
Novice

Hi Michael,

I have contacted the manufacturer of the server (Dell) and they have suggested that I reset the iDRAC controller (totally unrelated, I know). But having done this has resolved the issues and server has been stable since.

Thanks for taking time to help.

Kind Regards,

Lats.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello Lats,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

For us to further check and investigate the issue, please provide the following details.

1. What is your main OS right now, is it Windows Server 2016?
  2. What is the model of the Intel network card?
  3. Are you using an onboard network card or a PCIe card?
  4. How did you install the driver?

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Lats
Novice

Hi Michael,

To answer your questions;

1. Windows 2016 Datacenter Edition

2. Model of the card shown as below in device manager:

Intel Ethernet 10G 2P X520-k bNDC
Intel Ethernet 10G 2P X520-k bNDC #2
Intel Ethernet X520 10GbE Dual Port KX4-Kr Mezz
Intel Ethernet X520 10GbE Dual Port KX4-Kr Mezz #2
Intel Ethernet X520 10GbE Dual Port KX4-Kr Mezz #3
Intel Ethernet X520 10GbE Dual Port KX4-Kr Mezz #4

3. Intel Ethernet 10G 2P X520-k bNDC card is on-board but the others are modular Mezz cards

4. Driver was installed differently each time. First from Dell SUU, also downloaded different versions of the driver from Dell web site as well as driver from the Intel web site. Drivers install fine with no errors or issues. Problem occurs only after a reboot. Below are the tested drivers:

Network_Driver_N5GYM_WN64_18.3.0_A00_02 (Dell website)

Network_Driver_M1P35_WN64_18.8.0_A00_01 (Dell website)

Network_Driver_C7PRN_WN64_19.0.0_A00.EXE (Dell website)

Network_Driver_284J6_WN64_20.0.0_A00.EXE (Dell website)

Wired_driver_26.3_x64 (Intel website)

Kind regards,

Lats

0 Kudos
Lats
Novice

Forgot to add, the firmware on the card is "Family 19.5.12".

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Lats,

Thank you for the quick update. Since the network card is onboard and the OEM manufacturer may have altered the card and your drivers are from Dell, have you tried to raise this concern to them for further checking?

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Lats,

I hope you're having a wonderful day. I am just checking if you already tried contacting the manufacturer of the board regarding the issue? Kindly update us for us to further assist you with this issue.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Lats
Novice

Hi Michael,

I have contacted the manufacturer of the server (Dell) and they have suggested that I reset the iDRAC controller (totally unrelated, I know). But having done this has resolved the issues and server has been stable since.

Thanks for taking time to help.

Kind Regards,

Lats.

0 Kudos