Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

DP43BF networking chip DOA?

idata
Employee

I bought a brand new DP43BF in March 2012, but have not had much time to work with it. I updated the BIOS to support a wider variety of memory chips.

I tried to get the LAN chip working under Linux but I did not succeed (pretty common it seems). So I purchased an OEM copy of Win 7 Professional 64-bit. Right after installing Windows, I put the motherboard disc in the DVD-RW and installed chipset drivers, LAN chip drivers, Acrobat Reader, etc.

The Win 7 Networking applet says that "no network interface is available". The Troubleshooter says that maybe a network cable is unplugged (it is not). Windows Control Panel --> Device Manager believes the Broadcom 57788 is working just fine (and I know the driver is up to date). And if I check from another machine, the router does give my new machine a dotted-quad.

Windows XP Professional 64-bit gives the same results*. I am using good quality parts with no overclocking (Q9550 processor, 8 Gigs RAM, ATI 6670 passive-cooled video [1 GB, PCI-E x16], and a PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 Quad).

Networking is fine if I use a USB wifi dongle (both in Windows and in 3-4 linux distros so far). But I would like to use wired ethernet. (Linux can't see PCI slots or PCI wi-fi cards because Intel used a goofy PCI bus enumeration.)

Is my LAN chip DOA? If so, what are my options? It is more than 90 says since I bought it (eBay power seller).

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

* delete those "extra" copies of windows quickly -- respect software licenses!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello,

We recommend updating your motherboard BIOS to the latest version available and using the latest drivers from our website instead of the cd:

Download Center

Latest LAN drivers can be found here:

Download Center

Ensure you are following a clean installation of the Operating System using the latest drivers from our website and if the issue persists contact our support for motherboard replacement:

http://www.intel.com/support/feedback.htm?group=desktop# desktop Contact Intel Customer Support

idata
Employee

Thank you, yes. It turns out my ISP gave me a gray cable with a blue covering on the last 2-3 inches of each end. But there were only 4 conductors. Another message board said this 4-wire cable was used by an old networking standard.

When I switched to an 8-wire ethernet cable, everything came alive. The disc that came with the motherboard ("autorun" or "setup" or "EIProcesscaller.exe") locked up Windows 7. So I downloaded the drivers to a USB stick as you advised, and now I've got a great system! (Fractal Design Arc Midi mid-tower looks great to me!)

Maybe I'll try Linux later. Thanks!

0 Kudos