Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4855 Discussions

DP55WB Windows 7 64bit network problems

idata
Employee

Max. interop speed with Linksys SLM2008 ethernet switch is limited to 10Mb/s.

82578 driver installed is version 11.0.41.0

When trying to install the latest drivers (PROWIN7X64.exe) I get error message that this driver is not the right one for this OS, installation aborts.

Os is Windos7 x64

Please provide right drivers or installation program - or any other fix - that will enable 1Gb/s

0 Kudos
25 Replies
idata
Employee

do a clean install of win7, then chipset drivers, then lan-drivers. your error-msg makes no sense.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The message says:

"This software version is not designed for this version of Microsoft Windows."

Makes indeed no sense...but that is what it is.

Jan

idata
Employee

then you don't have win7 64bit or loaded the wrong file. i use the same driver on the same os and it works.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Well, trust me, it is Windows 7 64bit. Anyway, I tried also the LAN-allOS-14.7_PV_Intel_202802.exe with same reslut.

Jan

0 Kudos
DKnow2
Valued Contributor I

You are correct about this message. I had a clean install with Win 7 64-bit on a DG45ID using ProWin7x64.exe for the LAN. I attempted a reinstall due to several non-LAN issues and got this message. The ME was installed between the onboard graphics and 9600GT video card this time. I'm waiting on parts to try again but I recommend what an Intel rep told someone here. Wipe the drive or at least do a full format of the drive on installing the OS. The extra partition may be confusing some installs.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for the suggestion. I work however with as single partition, so I do not know if we have the same origin of the problem.

Do you now in which directory the installer expands the driver files? I will try to do the installation manually, but I am unable to locate the files.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Still trying to install the new drivers, getting the message that these are for the wrong OS.

Am I the only one with this problem?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

OK - succeeded in manual install of the drivers. Network adaptor works fine now.

idata
Employee

I successfully installed the driver, but after starting Windows I have no network connection. The Windows Device Managers reports that the device did not start (code 10). When switching off and switching on the 82578DC Gigabit Network Connection, the network connection is established. Any suggestions for changing any (timeout) settings that would solve this?

0 Kudos
DKnow2
Valued Contributor I

Unless you have another add-in network card I doubt changes in the timeout should be needed. Could be a poorly seated NET cable or your onboard Gigabit but I haven't seen complaints about that. I change connections to my router frequently and don't see this, but now have an issue with SQL Server 2008.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I don't have another add-in network card. Yesterday I thought the problem was solved after installing some 30 Windows 7 updates, but today the card didn't start automatically. I still got the impression it is some timing issue. Do you know any settings I could try? B.t.w. Happy New year!

0 Kudos
DKnow2
Valued Contributor I

Edit: Be sure the downloaded file is not corrupt. This is frequently indicated by an icon that is not normal, even blank. Simply transfering to another computer can corrupt drivers.

Happy New Year! Sorry to hear of more problems. My frankenstein system of old parts is less than desirable so I was considering a 2 RJ-45 system. Intel doesn't have one yet. Sounds like the driver simply isn't working but I would reinstall it or try another version. More info such as operating system and router, if present, might help. The only timing changes I have done were for software and the tweaks were soon outdated when microsoft provided a program that was much better. I doubt this is a timing issue. When I make connection changes to my router I sometimes have to wait a minute for windows to get around to resetting the connection. Sometimes I just do reboots. A second network connection would help avoid changes but if Intel hasn't done it I have my doubts. I notice there is a wait for link option in Connection properties > Advanced. Look at the Gigabit Master Slave Mode Caution. I thought I saw a setting for timing yesterday but now I can't find it.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

New MB: DP43TF

New Op Sys: Win 7-64bit Ultimate

Problem unresolved: Every time when booting, there is NO network.

Temp Fix: Dev Mgr/Network adopter/

Rt Click Intel 82567V-2 Gigabit Network Connection/Uninstall.

Lt click Action heading/Scan for hardware changes.

Problem resolved until next restart.

0 Kudos
DKnow2
Valued Contributor I

These all sound like power problems on startup. Significant power must be used by the connection since disconnection is associated with a power saving mode. The only simple problem I could see is if the shield tab that rests on the port is not touching. Older boards lack most of these tabs so other grounding issues must have occured. Anyone know why I lost front panel USB on moving my motherboard? The power supply is cheap but 500 W.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

UPDATE on Problem: When I "Update" the driver the system comes back with driver software is up to date. Can't stop in the middle to implement a fix.

What is interesting to observe with the responses to this problem is the absence of any response from Intell. With the greatest of intentions it seems as if the comments here are either educated guesses or guesses. Outright danger here is in implementing a suggested fix, which could be much effort for no gain, and hopefully no damage. Don't take my comments personally, but where is Intell???

Tony

0 Kudos
DKnow2
Valued Contributor I

So far I can only conclude that the Gigabit or board is in fact bad or the driver is corrupt or poor. The message matches my experience but the driver could still install with errors. There are means to do a CheckSum to verify an exact match of transfered bit count. An incomplete install suggests a corrupt driver or additional activity. Many desktop interruptions are due to timing issues related to rapid user interaction. Components change so frequently that hardware/software timing is a perpetual problem. The RJ-45 is lit when powered and any PS should supply the watt needed but then some PSs have dedicated fan lines that don't work. Some forums have the frequent "Please mark as answered" appended but that isn't adequate. I would review the long forum usage agreement again if I could find it.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, I'm having the same issue as you with the error message after upgrading to Win 7 Pro from Vista 64. In your post you said you loaded the driver manually and fixed the problem? Could you please explaing how you did that? I appreciate your help..

Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

What I did is the following.

Download the latest driver (.exe file).

Start this program, run it until you get the error message. Stop here, do not click on it. The installation program has expanded the drivers to a temp directory on your hard disk. If you would click through, this temp directory will be removed and the installation ends.

Locate in temp directory on your HD. I do not remember where I found it ultimately, I had to search quite a while before I located it.

Once you found it, go to device manager, to the Intel network adapter. Select "update driver software". Select "browse computer to find driver". Than select the temp directory. The new driver will now install.

Good luck

Jan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am having the same issue (no network at startup) with a DH55HC motherboard that has the same 82578DC GigE chipset. The shield tabs are well seated, and there is ample power. I will attempt the driver update "trick" that has been suggested.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Make sure you go out and apply the latest bios update for your board! I was about the tear my hair out troubleshooting issues with the NIC not initializing at Windows startup and WOL was sporadic. I downloaded the update KGIBX10J.86A.4507.EB.EXE and both issues no longer exist now on my Win 7 x64 system with the DP55KB board.

0 Kudos