Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

Dear 82599 experts, thank you so much for your valuable time and guidance in advance. Is it possible to configure RTTDT1C register of 82599 without setting up the NIC in VMDq or DCB mode please? The background is - following is verbatim customer's input

Muthurajan_J_Intel

Is it possible to configure RTTDT1C register of 82599 without setting up the NIC in VMDq or DCB mode please? The background is - following is verbatim customer's input we are configuring the weights for the NIC Tx Queues by configuring the RTTDT1C register. We don't need VMDq or DCB mode. We are directly enqueuing CustomProto/UDP/IP/Ethernet packets from my application on to specific hardware queues (without an intermediate DPDK QOS layer) and updating the hardware queue rates, so the priority/ hardware rate limiting are the only features I need (not VMDQ, DCB). Can I go about just changing the weights as in the code above with VMDQ and DCB turned off? For context, I'm working on developing a prototype of a high speed congestion control algorithm for 40G networks where rates for flows are calculated out of band (using control packets at a higher priority) and updated every RTT, and the flow's packets are sent out at the calculated rates. The 82599 NIC's hardware rate limiting and priorities look very promising and I would love to learn how I can use them.

0 Kudos
0 Replies