Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4808 Discussions

Different MAC addresses per VLAN adaptor

idata
Employee

In MS Server 2008 R2 I am using a team to provided fault tolerance, using VLANs on the team to segregate the traffic for my cluster. However when I validate my cluster I receive warning about duplicate physical addresses. Can you configure different MAC addressees per virtual VLAN adapter?

Thanks

Edd

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Edd,

What team mode/type are you configuring? Can you provide more details on your configuration and setup?

You can configure a Locally Administered Address on a virtual team, but I don't see a way to do that per VLAN. Anyway, I don't think configuring MAC addresses is the issue here. Depending on the team type, the virtual adapter might advertise a different MAC for receive load balancing purposes. The whitepaper at http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/resources/doc_library/white_papers/254031.pdf http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/resources/doc_library/white_papers/254031.pdf explains more about how the team works. The paper is old, but the way each of these modes works is still the same. These answers I am giving are based on my knowledge of our teaming. I am not familiar with clusters, and I don't know the best practices for using teaming in that situation.

Mark H

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Mark,

I am using Adapter Fault Tolerance to provide failover from the X520 to a Gigabit ET card. I am then trying to us VLANs to segregate the traffic but the cluster is complaining each virtual NIC has the same MAC address. Is it possible to have different virtual MAC per virtual VLAN adapter?

Thanks

Edd

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Edd,

You cannot configure a MAC address for the virtual adapter that represents the VLAN.

Mark H

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Mark,

Do you know if this is lickly to be on a future release?

Thanks

Edd

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

No. This design is not likely to change in a future release.

Mark H

0 Kudos