Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4866 Discussions

Does intel XL710-QDA2 support HW timestamping

ARANA
Beginner

Hello all,

I found here https://intel-openport-v8.hosted.jivesoftware.com/thread/93966 a conversation about HW timestaming on XL710-QDA2 but can someone confirm today that this NIC does not support HW timestamping ? Can someone put here an official documentation that shows it ?

Thank you

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello Arana, Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. We will check if there is any documentation for this. Let us know if you have any other questions. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello Arana, Thank you for your patience. According to the feature matrix of the XL710 the controller supports session only timestamping in Linux. See page 14-15 of the following: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/release-notes/xl710-ethernet-controller-feature-matrix.pdf Let us know if you have any other questions. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello Arana, Let us know if you have any other questions about timestamping support on XL710. Please inform us if the provided documentation answers your question. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello Arana, If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to ask. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
ARANA
Beginner

Hello Daniel,

What do you mean with "session" timestamping ? What is the meaning of session here ?

Best regards

0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello Arana, Thank you for the reply. Let us check if there is more information available. We will update you soon. If you have any other questions let us know. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello Arana, Thank you for your patience. The session is referring to the synchronization between the grand master time machine and slave machine. In between the session there are packet exchanges between the machines which ensure the time is accurate on the slave. Let us know if this answers your question, or you need more information. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello Arana, Let us know if you have any other questions. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
ARANA
Beginner

Hello Daniel,

So, to summarize I cannot get hardware timestamp from each packet I read.

Could you confirm ?

Best regards,

Aro

0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello Arana, That is correct. There is currently not support for per packet HW timestamping on the XL710 in the i40e drivers for Linux or Windows. Support for the feature is emerging on Linux and is only supported on 82576, 82580, and I350 controllers at this time. A separate PTP application would be required that communicates directly with the controller on the XL710. See the following for more information with attention to question number 14 and 15: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/faqs/ieee1588-faq.pdf Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello Arana, Please let us know if you have any other questions, or need further clarification. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
ARANA
Beginner

Hello Daniel,

It's Ok, I do not have any other questions for this topic.

Thank you,

Aro

0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello Arana, Thank you for the reply. Glad the information was helpful. If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to ask. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos