Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4865 Discussions

Does the E810-XXV support Fiber Optics?

sbd27
Novice

We purchased a new Dell R750 and it came with a E810-XXV nic with a M14MK Optic. I cannot get a link on our Cisco Nexus 9300 switch, however, when I installed an old XX710 I get a link. The Intel website shows the media type as Copper, and my iDRAC shows it as Twisted Pair. I can't seem to get a definitive answer anywhere.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
LeXuanTinh
Novice

Hi There 

Below this solution for you 

1. Set speed port switch and server manual to 25G

2. set port network on the server  

+  Link FEC change to CL74 
+  Auto-negotiantion --> disable

3. double check and set port on switch 

+ Auto-negotiantion --> disable
+ Link FEC change to CL74  ( FC-FEC (CL74) ) 

follow the link for sw setting : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/aci/apic/sw/kb/b_Cisco_ACI_and_Forward_Error_Correction.html

0 Kudos
sbd27
Novice

Thanks Again, but I still would like Intel to respond to this thread. I noticed on your original claim that you got a connection with a DAC cable. I'm still concerned that the E810-XXV does not support Fiber-Optics. The same M14MK Optic I run in my XX710 nics show up in my Dell iDRAC as "Fiber Optic", but in the  E810-XXV it shows up as "Twisted Pair". I'm going to open a ticket with Dell too.

Also, when you look at the specs from Intel's site:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/189760/intel-ethernet-network-adapter-e810xxvda2/specifications.html

It says the medium type is "Copper". We are about to purchase 8 servers with 3 of these cards in each server, I need to know if this is the right card.

0 Kudos
sbd27
Novice

OK, this problem is resolved, but I do not want to mark the issue has a solution.

Unlike LeXuanTinh issue, we had to set the FEC mode to FC-IEEE.

Again, I would like Intel to explain why LeXuanTinh had to set his switch to FC-FEC, the documentation Intel provides for the card says if you are using speeds over 10G you need to set the FEC to RS-FEC, but we had to use FC-IEEE?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Achilles_Intel

Hello sbd27,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities.

We are sorry to hear about this issue you had to encounter with your adapter. Before we could check this with our engineers, we hope you don't mind if we ask for a photo of the E810-XXV adapter you used so we could validate as well.

Let us know if you have additional questions or need clarifications. We will reach out after 3 business days should we not receive an update from you.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Best regards,

Achilles M.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Achilles_Intel

Hello sbd27,

Good day.

We are following up on the information we are requesting for this thread. We were asking for the rear and front photo of the adapter so we can further validate it.

Let us know if you have further questions or need clarifications. We will reach out again after 3 business days if we do not receive a response from you.

Best regards,

Achilles M.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Achilles_Intel

Hello sbd27,

Good day.

We are following up on your inquiry for this thread. Since we haven't heard from you in a few days, this thread will now be closed. Feel free to post a new question in the forum if you have additional inquiries as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Achilles M.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos