Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4864 Discussions

Does the I340-F4 support 100base-FX SFP modules

CGill4
Beginner

We am looking for a quad port PCI express card with 100base-FX interfaces, under Windows 7 32-bit. Does the I340-F4 support 100base-FX SFP modules?

I am not sure if SFP modules are plug-and-play for different speeds / wavelengths.

As background, we currently are using I340-T4 cards with external media convertors between copper and the external 100base-FX systems, and are looking for a replacement card with support for 100base-FX so can avoid the need to user media convertors. The required number of ports, and available motherboard slots, limit us to quad port PCI express cards.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Chester,

Unfortunately, Intel does not manufacture a NIC that meets your criteria. The I340-F4 optical modules are not pluggable and those modules support 1000BASE-SX only. They do not support any lower speeds or other wavelengths.

The X520 Converged Network Adapters support certain pluggable modules per http://www.intel.com/support/network/adapter/pro100/sb/CS-030612.htm Intel� Server Adapters — Which SFP+ modules, SFP modules, and cables can I use with the X520 Series? But those adapters only have two ports instead of four. And 100BASE-FX modules will not work on X520 adapters.

Mark

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Chester,

Unfortunately, Intel does not manufacture a NIC that meets your criteria. The I340-F4 optical modules are not pluggable and those modules support 1000BASE-SX only. They do not support any lower speeds or other wavelengths.

The X520 Converged Network Adapters support certain pluggable modules per http://www.intel.com/support/network/adapter/pro100/sb/CS-030612.htm Intel� Server Adapters — Which SFP+ modules, SFP modules, and cables can I use with the X520 Series? But those adapters only have two ports instead of four. And 100BASE-FX modules will not work on X520 adapters.

Mark

0 Kudos
CGill4
Beginner

MARK HANNA wrote:

The I340-F4 optical modules are not pluggable and those modules support 1000BASE-SX only. They do not support any lower speeds or other wavelengths.

Mark,

Thanks for the quick response. The Product Brief for the Intel Ethernet I340 Server Adapter says "Four high performing 10/100/1000 BASE-SX Ethernet connections (Fibre)" which is what made me think the I340-F4 may support different speeds. Guess that is an error in the product brief.

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Chester,

You are right. The product brief has an error. I will let the right people know so that it can be fixed. Thanks.

Mark H

0 Kudos
CChan82
Beginner

Dear Mark,

I am using the same model as Mr. Chester and facing the same problem.

could you check if someone fixed the product brief? or more people will be misled.

thanks!

Frank C

0 Kudos