Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4873 Discussions

E810-XXVDA2 running at PCIe x4

cperry5
Beginner

I am trying to determine what speeds the E810-XXVDA2 will be available when running the network card in a PCIe Gen 4 x4 Slot.

Would it support 2x 10GbE ports or 1x 25GbE port?

Thanks,

Chris

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Faez_Intel

Hi Chris,

Good day and thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support.

For your inquiry, you may kindly refer to this link here : https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000089917/ethernet-products/800-series-network-adapters-up-to-100gbe.html

• E810-XXVDA2 only has the 2x25Gb speed configuration available.
  • The speed can be determined by the optic modules
  • Use 10Gb Optic modules in this adapters if you want to ensure only 10Gb speed

As stated in the link, if you are using 10GB modules then only will you get 10Gb of Speed. Also, ensure the cables and the optic modules are compatible with the E810 NIC.

Do feel free to inquire us if you have any other questions that you may have and we will gladly assist you accordingly.

Best regards,

Faez.

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos
cperry5
Beginner

Thank you for responding Faez.

I know that the link speed is determined by the optical modules used. What I am trying to determine is if the PCIe 4.0 x4 slot has enough PCIe lane bandwidth to fully support the card.

A PCIe 4.0 x4 supports 7.88GB/s which is 63.04Gb/s

The E810-XXVDA2 supports up to 2x 25Gb

Am I wrong in assuming that a PCIe Gen 4.0 x4 would fully support the 2x 25Gb on the E810-XXVDA2?

And that the card is PCIe x8 for support on PCIe Gen 3.0?

0 Kudos
Faez_Intel

Hi Chris,

Good day and thank you for the respond.

If the card is running on PCIe4 4.0X4 slot, the card will still be supported as the card will negotiate to run on either x4 or x1.

• If maximum link width = x4, the E810 negotiates to either x4 or x1.

Also, may I know what is the system you are running on with this E810-XXVDA2 cards? Appreciated if you share the motherboard model for us to determine further on the PCIe capability of the board itself.

Do feel free to inquire us if you have any other questions that you may have and we will gladly assist you accordingly.

Best regards,

Faez

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
cperry5
Beginner

Hi Faez,

We are looking at the Supermicro X13SAQ

https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboard/x13saq

According to the manual, the PCIe x4 is Gen 4.

E810 negotiates to either x4 or x1

if the card negotiates depending on the PCIe lanes, what performance can I expect from the ports, will it support 2x 10GbE or 2x 25GbE transfer speeds?

0 Kudos
Faez_Intel

Hi Chris,

Good day and thank you for the response.

As for now, we don't have any reference on how the speed is affected if the card is being used on a PCIE 4.0 slot x4. However, we are working with our next level to further confirm on the speed of the card if it was used on PCIE 4 slot x4

In the meantime, you may refer to our datasheet from the link below as your reference for now.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/189760/intel-ethernet-network-adapter-e810xxvda2/specifications.html

Best regards,

Faez.

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos
Faez_Intel

Hi Chris,

Good day and I hope this message finds you well!

Our next level has confirmed that the E810-XXVDA2 should support full for PCIE 4.0 slot x4 as long as the slot is physically a x8. According to the motherboard link provided, it is a x8 physical.

The card should also supports PCIE 3.0 x8 slot which is the same speed as PCIE 4.0 x4 slot as well.

I'll send a follow-up in 3 business days if we do not hear from you. Let me know if you have any clarifications.

Best regards,

Faez.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
cperry5
Beginner

Thanks Faez, that is good news.

Physical x8 and Electrical x4 under PCIe Gen 4.0 will give full support on the E810-XXVDA2

I may be making an assumption here, but would the same be true for a physical PCIe Gen 4 x4 that is open ended provide full support?

0 Kudos
Faez_Intel

Hi Chris,

Yes, open ended PCIE slots should provide the same speed as long as physically it is a x8 slot.

Do let me know if you have any other inquiries on this matter.

Best regards,

Faez.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Faez_Intel

Hi Chris,

This is a follow up on this thread. If you have any other inquiries please kindly let us know and we will gladly assist you accordingly.

I'll will follow up again if we do not hear from you. Let me know if you have any clarifications.

Best regards,

Faez.

Intel Customer Support

cperry5
Beginner

I think I am set on this inquiry. Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
Faez_Intel

Hi Chris,

Glad to help as well. Thank you too and have a nice day ahead.

Best regards,

Faez.

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos
cperry5
Beginner

Hello, 

Based on this from above

E810-XXVDA2 should support full for PCIE 4.0 slot x4 as long as the slot is physically a x8

The card should also supports PCIE 3.0 x8 slot which is the same speed as PCIE 4.0 x4 slot as well.

What is the slot is PCIE x4 (physical) and x4 (electrical)?

Will the card still work and perform as intended? 

Screenshot 2023-12-04 122334.jpg

 Supermicro X13SAE motherboard

0 Kudos