We are having an issue with updating the firmware of our X710 network cards, here is the output of the nvmupdaten64e command:
Num Description Ver. DevId S:B Status
=== ======================================== ===== ===== ====== ===============
01) Intel(R) Ethernet 10G 4P X710 SFP+ rNDC 6.00 1572 00:001 Update not available
02) Intel(R) Gigabit 4P I350-t Adapter 1.103 1521 00:129 Update not available
We are running 9 hosts with ESXi 6.5U1 7388607
Thank you for posting in Wired Communities. Can you clarify if your X710 is an onboard NIC embedded on your server or a standalone Intel retail unit? Run a
vmkchdevcommand to provide the vendor and device ID. We need to isolate if this is an OEM NIC as the firmware version is not applicable. Thank you.
This is the output of the command:
[root@vmware4:~] vmkchdev -L 0000:01:00.0
0000:01:00.0 8086:1572 1028:1f9c vmkernel vmnic0
[root@vmware4:~] vmkchdev -L 0000:01:00.1
0000:01:00.1 8086:1572 1028:0000 vmkernel vmnic1
Thank you for the information. Based on the output, the NIC is found to be a Dell OEM part. It is recommended you can contact Dell (the OEM NIC vendor) to obtain the firmware which is suitable for the NIC. Thank you.
Please let me know if you are able to contact Dell* and update the firmware successfully since the vendor and device ID 8086:1572 1028:0000 shows this is not Intel part. Feel free to update me if further assistance needed.
I have filled a request to DELL with the issue which we are having and currently i am waiting for an update from them. I will let you know what the results are.
In the mean time, can i do something from my side to complete the upgrade?
Thank you for the update. The best is to wait for the official firmware from Dell, can't proceed from here if there is no firmware to complete the upgrade.
I got a confirmation from Dell that the suitable firmware for now is 6.00
There is still testing going on from their side to release the 6.01 firmware. However they didn`t say when the next firmware will be available.
I think the topic can be closed for now. If you want, we can keep it opened and i will post an update when i am able to upgrade to 6.01
Thank you for the update and hopefully the newer release will be available soon. Feel free to post your inquiry in case you have update. Thanks again for your time on this matter.