Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4873 Discussions

Eth card 82579LM

ŁKila
Beginner

Good morning!

I have a problem with the 82579LM card.

Let me start with a description of the situation, we have been producing mining machines for the explosion-risk zone for years. We have been using an Ethernet connection of a PLC with a PC for about 10 years. The connection is 4-core 10Mb. Between the PC and the PLC, ethernet separators (EI-0D2-10Y-10B from pepperl-fuchs) are used. These barriers are "transparent".

For many years, this configuration works with an industrial PC of B & R APC620, which has an Intel PRO / 100 VE card. Currently, its production has ended, therefore I am installing a newer APC910 model. This model has an INTEL 82579LM network card.

Unfortunately, I can not configure it to work in this configuration.

If I omit the Ethernet separators, the connection works.

If I apply the switch between the PC and the barrier, the connection works.

If I install a USB Ethernet card to the computer, the connection works.

If I put an older type of computer in place of the new one, it also works.

If I connect the computer in accordance with the diagram in place of the old one, the system detects the network, however with a mistake.

The system is Windows 7 Standard Embedded.

The most up-to-date Bios, the most up-to-date drivers.

Please help

Regards

Lukasz

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Kiler,

Thank you for posting in Wired Communities. Based on what you described the issue exists when you connect the Industrial PC APC910 with the Ethernet separator. Just to double check

1) If this is the Ethernet separator you have https://www.pepperl-fuchs.com/global/en/classid_1942.htm?view=productdetails&prodid=32275

2) Can you clarify what is the problem when you said cannot configure it to work in this configuration? Are you referring there is no network connection?

The connection speed you mentioned is 10 Mbps, please check if you can try forcing the speed of 82579LM to 10 Mbps which can be found in the property of the NIC in the device manager. You can go to the device manager->Network adapter->82579LM, right click to go to the property->Advance Setting->Speed and Duplex. Configure the same speed setting on both the 82579LM and the Ethernet Separator. 10 mbps or 100 mbps, or autonegotiation mode both side depends on whichever is applicable in your configuration.

Just to double check which latest driver you are using? We have Windows 7 driver for 82579LM at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/18713/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-7-?product=47620 but this is generic driver which we cannot gurantee 100% compatibility. It is still recommended to contact your system vendor for the driver for Windows 7 embedded for your system.

Another thing you can check is if there is any compatibility issue with the Ethernet separator with 82579LM, you may check with the Ethenet separator vendor.

As this is an embedded OEM NIC on third party system (APC910), I would recommend you to check with the industrial PC manufacturer they might

customize the NIC to adapt their system. We do not have information what are the changes made thus it is best to contact the system vendor for the support. You may refer to this website for our support opton: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006628/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Hope the above information help.

Regards,

Sharon T

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Kiler,

Please feel free to provide the information.

Thanks,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Kiler,

You may post your inquiry at our embedded support below since the 82579LM is integrated on third party system as embedded components. They can further assist from there.

https://embedded.communities.intel.com/community/en

Thanks,

Sharon T
0 Kudos