Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Ethernet Connection (2) 1219-LM "Cannot Start"

IanCD
Beginner

I've had this issue for a few months now... I've just left it / ignored it as I've been using wireless, but I needed to check something with a wired ethernet connection today, had to use my wife's laptop, so it's time to sort this out if possible.
Laptop = Dell Precision Mobile Workstation 7710
OS = Windows 10, Build 19041.vb_release.191206-1406
Ethernet Controller = Intel (R) Ethernet Connection (2) 1219-LM

Status (in Device Manager -> Properties -> Details Tab -> Status):
DN_HAS_PROBLEM
DN_DISABLEABLE
DN_NT_ENUMERATOR
DN_NT_DRIVER

Driver version = 12.19.1.37

Problem Code = 0000000A

Problem status =

{Operation Failed}
The requested operation was unsuccessful.

C0000001

EVENTS LOG
30/06/2021 13:29:28   Device not started (e1dexpress)
Information
Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_15B7&SUBSYS_06DA1028&REV_31\3&11583659&0&FE requires further installation.

Intel PROSet Adapter Conficuration Utility 'sees' the adapter and reports:
"This adapter is currently disabled. You must enable the adapter to configure it."

It's not disabled in Device Manager.
I've tried disabling and re-enabling.
Uninstalling and reinstalling, with latest drivers (26.3)

Hope someone here can help sort this out... thanks, in anticipation.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello IanCD,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

I am sorry to hear that you are having an issue. However if you error that you are having is "This adapter is currently disabled. You must enable the adapter to configure it.". Have you tried checking if your laptop has a toggle key to enable or disable the NIC. If there is no toggle key, kindly verify or check on how to enable the onboard NIC. I am looking at this document, please refer to table 2.

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-sg/precision-m7710-workstation/prec7710_om-v1/system-setup-options?guid=guid-ed809995-9be2-45fd-b707-9e108e220ade&lang=en-us

Note:

This document is from a 3rd party, and all the details found on this link should be verified with the OEM manufacturer.

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
IanCD
Beginner

The adapter is not disabled - neither in BIOS, nor in Device Manager.
As my post says, I've tried disabling and re-enabling.
I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling it.
I've done both of these several times.

Device properties, in Device Manager -> General tab, states:

"This device cannot start. (Code 10)

{Operation Failed}
The requested operation was unsuccessful."

Intel PROSet Adapter Conficuration Utility 'sees' the adapter and reports:
"This adapter is currently disabled. You must enable the adapter to configure it." (But it's not disabled in Device Manager)

Device Manager -> Events log, reports:

Device not started (e1dexpress)
Information
Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_15B7&SUBSYS_06DA1028&REV_31\3&11583659&0&FE requires further installation.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello IanCD,

Thank you so much for the quick update. Kindly help generate the SSU logs and let us check if the onboard network card is detected properly.

Please download the utility below:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?wapkw=ssu

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
IanCD
Beginner

Hmm... that page appears to be down at the moment... Error: Page unavailable I'll try again later
Ah, got it... had to delete
"-?wapkw=intel system support utility for windows"
off end of link
Scan result (.txt) file attached

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello IanCD,

Thank you so much for sending the ssu logs. Upon further checking, here is what I found from the SSU.

Product Type:"Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-LM"

Service Name:"e1dexpress"

If your onboard I219-LM is enabled in device manager just like what you have said before. There is a big chance that you are dealing with a hardware issue. Best recommendations here are to enable the onboard network card inside the BIOS or update the BIOS of your board to redetect the onboard network card. It is best to contact Dell to enable and/or update the BIOS of your system.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello IanCD,

I hope this message finds you well. I am just checking if you are now talking to Dell to further check the issue.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
IanCD
Beginner

Hi Michael,
The ethernet network card is enabled in BIOS
Think my next move might be to do a clean install of windows

If that doesn't work, I guess the card is a gonner..? Do the SSU logs indicate whether that's a possibility..?
I wondered: is 'e1dexpress' a windows service, rather than the actual network card itself..?

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello IanCD,

Thank you for the quick response. To be honest, that is the reason why we suggested to get in touch with the manufacturer board when I mentioned on my previous post that this may be a hardware issue. And yes, you may try to reinstall the OS then kindly check the issue with the board manufacturer.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello IanCD,

I hope you're having a wonderful day. I am just checking if you are now talking to the OEM manufacturer for further assistance.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello IanCD,

I hope you're having a good day. I am just sending another follow up hoping that you are now talking to the board manufacturer for further support. Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
IanCD
Beginner

Hi Michael,
Yes, do go ahead and close this.
I can't talk to Dell about this as the laptop is out of warranty... and as you say, it looks like it's a hardware issue. Guess I'll find out when I do a clean reinstall of windows. Haven't got time to do that now, as this machine won't do in-situ installations, so I lose all my programs, settings, etc.
One last question, though, from my previous post: is 'e1dexpress' the network card itself or a windows service affecting the network card's function / availability?
Thanks for your help with this.
Regards,
Ian

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello IanCD,

Thank you for the quick reply and confirmation that we can close the case.

And to answer your question about 'e1dexpress'. Base on the SSU logs, it is under the Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-LM.

That means it is related to that card. It is one of the reason why this may be a hardware issue. You may also try to find a way to update the BIOS of the laptop for it to re-detect the hardware. Kindly refer to Dell if they have steps on how to update the BIOS of the laptop.

If you need further assistance again in the future please post a new question.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos