Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4865 Discussions

Ethernet Controller 10G X550T not working on Ubuntu 22.04

SimonLBS
Novice

Hi

I have a fresh installation of ubuntu 22.04 on a Threadripper 5965WX with an ASUS Pro WS WRX80E-SAGE SE Wi-Fi E ATX motherboard.

The X550T shows up in the network settings but remains "Cable unplugged" when a network cable is inserted. Sometimes it will randomly show as being connected for around 10 sec. 

#lspci | grep X550
24:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller 10G X550T (rev 01)
24:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller 10G X550T (rev 01)

I have installed the ixgbe 5.16.5 driver

# modinfo ixgbe
filename:       /lib/modules/5.15.0-53-generic/updates/drivers/net/ethernet/intel/ixgbe/ixgbe.ko
version:        5.16.5
license:        GPL
description:    Intel(R) 10GbE PCI Express Linux Network Driver
#...

What am I missing?

Let me know if you need more information.

Thanks 

Simon 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
SimonLBS
Novice

Hi Crisselle,

1: Yes it works fine on other computers 

2: Yes I have also tried that

3: I have contacted Asus and they only have a windows driver so will be using an extra network card. 

Thanks for your help

Best regards,

Simon

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Simon, 

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Please provide the following information that would help in checking your request. 

1. Can you confirm if this is a fresh setup or you're integrating the system for the first time? If no, is the X550 worked before or it has the issue "Cable unplugged" from the beginning?

2. Cable type used

3. We understand that this is an Ethernet controller that's embedded with Asus system. For Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) on-board Ethernet controller, we'd like to set your expectation that we might have a limited support and it would be best if you can also get in touch with Asus for further support since they have customized drivers and software to enable or alter features on your system. They are in best position where you can seek assistance so you don’t lose features or customizations of the Ethernet controller. 

Looking forward to your reply. 

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
SimonLBS
Novice

Hi Crisselle,

1: Completely new setup with all new hardware

2: CAT5E

Thanks for helping 

Best regards,

Simon

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Simon,

Thank you for the reply. 

Can you confirm and check the following items that would help in isolating the issue.

1. Have you tried the connection on a different computer?

2. Have you tried a different cable or port from the switch?

3. Have you tried installing the driver from manufacturer? You may check with Asus if they have a driver for your system under Ubuntu as we can only see drivers for Windows Operating System

https://www.asus.com/my/motherboards-components/motherboards/workstation/pro-ws-wrx80e-sage-se-wifi/helpdesk_download/

Looking forward to your reply. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
SimonLBS
Novice

Hi Crisselle,

1: Yes it works fine on other computers 

2: Yes I have also tried that

3: I have contacted Asus and they only have a windows driver so will be using an extra network card. 

Thanks for your help

Best regards,

Simon

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Simon,

Thank you for the swift reply. 

Did Asus suggested using an extra network card? Have you tried installing Windows OS on your system to confirm that the Intel® Ethernet Controller X550-AT2 is working fine?

Please also let us know if there is any other assistance needed on this matter so we can check on it as we noticed that you locked the thread.

Awaiting to your reply. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Simon,

Good day!

This is just a follow up to check if you read our previous reply. We are also re-sending below details for your reference.

Did Asus suggested using an extra network card? Have you tried installing Windows OS on your system to confirm that the Intel® Ethernet Controller X550-AT2 is working fine?

Please also let us know if there is any other assistance needed on this matter so we can check on it as we noticed that you locked the thread.

Hoping to hear from you soon. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Simon,

I hope everything is great!

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank you for choosing Intel and stay safe!

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos