Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4864 Discussions

Ethernet Internet speed slow - same LAN working fine on other machine

Shailesh
Beginner

Hello,

I was having 100 mbps data plan and the speed was fine in that, was getting 95-100 mbps in speedtest. Recently I have upgraded the plan to 300 mbps.

Now the issue is, while doing speedtest it does not go beyond 195-200 mbps. I have raised the complaint to my ISP. They bring another laptop just to test the connection at my place. They have used my machine LAN cable on that laptop and the speed received was 300 mbps. After test, plug the LAN cable on my machine and result was same 195-200 mbps.

With this test it was now confirm that the speed is okay from ISP side and the LAN cable is perfectly fine.

Then I have raised the complaint to Dell support for the issue. They have remotely debug for 2 hours, updated Ethernet drivers, change some settings but no result.

System details:

Win 10 - 64 bit

Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (7) I219-LM

Driver version - 12.18.8.9

I have also tried the drivers from Intel website but no luck.

I have play around with almost all settings but it did not work (attached video).

Is there any specific settings I need to check on the machine?

thanks,

Shailesh

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Shailesh,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Please provide the following details for us to check on your query:

1.) Please download the System Support Utility from the link below, and attach a log file. This will allow us to check your Adapter details and configuration.

a- Download from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

b- Open SSU.exe

c- Mark the box "Everything" and then click "Scan".

d- When finished scanning, click "Next".

e- Click on "Save" and attach the file to a post.

2.) Is it possible to share with us the operating system and laptop model used by your ISP?

3.) Please double check the established connection speed in the settings of your system: Network and Internet Settings; View your Network Properties and scroll down to Link speed (Receive/Transmit). 

Looking forward to your response.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
Shailesh
Beginner

Hello Crisselle,

Thanks for the response.

I have attached 2 files

• report.txt - generated from SSU.exe
  • network.txt - the network details report

I am using Dell Precision 3630 Desktop (Win 10) and ISP team used Lenovo ThinkPad laptop (Win 7).

thanks,

Shailesh

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Shailesh,

Thank you for providing the requested information.

While we are checking on this, can you provide the exact model of the Lenovo Thinkpad laptop? This would help us in comparing the specifications of the unit that might be the cause of the issue.

Please also share the latest update from Dell Support as this is an OEM Ethernet controller.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Shailesh
Beginner

Hello Crisselle,

It was Lenovo ThinkPad E480, Windows 7.

Dell support uninstall/update the drivers and change some settings to test, but it was not worked.

Thanks and Regards,

Shailesh

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Shailesh,

Thank you for the reply.

We will check on this and give you an update as soon as there is any findings.

We might post on this thread and request an additional information that would help us in investigating the issue.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Shailesh,

Thank you for the patience on this matter.

Based on the report that you provided, the Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (7) I219-LM is connected at 1000Mbps (1Gbps) speed to your modem. The speed test conducted on the speed test website that you used had to pass through your service provider and the test outcome is dependent on various factors. Is the 300Mbps speed a guaranteed rate provided by your service provider?

Kindly check and share the details below for us to further check the issue:

1.) Have you tried a different system to test the Internet speed aside from your system and ISP team's laptop?

2.) Have you tried a diferrent speed test website to check if there is any difference?

3.) Would it be possible to request SSU log from you ISP team's laptop? This would help us compare the Adapter details and configuration.

4.) Based on the SSU log that you provided, the driver installed on your system is 12.18.8.9. You might want to try our latest generic driver and check if it would be of help.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22283/Intel-Ethernet-Adapter-Complete-Driver-Pack?product=82185

5.) We understand that you reached Dell already on this problem. But we'd like to inform you that this is an Ethernet controller that's embedded with Dell system. For OEM on-board Ethernet controller, it would be best if you can get in touch with Dell for further support since they have customized drivers and software to enable or alter features on your system. They are in best position where you can seek assistance so you don’t lose features or customizations of the Ethernet controller. Please visit this link for Support Options for Intel® Ethernet Controllers

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006628/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html?wapkw=oem+network

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Shailesh,

We are just making a follow up on the information that we requested.

Please send us an update once you are done with the recommendations.

If you have questions, please let us know.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technicians

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Shailesh
Beginner

Hello Michael,

Thanks for the response.

1. Yes, I have tried the other machine and the connection is working fine on that machine too
  2. Yes, tried the different speed test websites and results are the same
  3. I don't think so it is possible, the service request is closed from ISP side so not possible to give this
  4. I have tried the drivers no any improvements
  5. Dell support suggested to re-installed the OS, but it is not possible as my projects are going on and huge data have to be backed-up. Also I don't think so the fresh install of OS will work.

Drivers are updated with different versions, so now the possible cause could be the hardware support., guessing

Best Regards,

Shailesh

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Shailesh,

Thank you for trying our recommendations. As for the NIC, we can only recommend updating the drivers and try isolation which you already did.

So yes, it is best if you can get a hardware support from Dell on this one. They may have altered the specification of the NIC so they are the best team to assist you moving forward.

If you have questions, please let us know.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technicians

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Shailesh,

We'd like to check if you were able to contact Dell for hardware support?

Please let us know if you have any other questions on this matter.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Shailesh
Beginner

Hello Crisselle,

As last option, Dell support suggested to re-install windows on the machine.

It was not possible from my side at this stage, so keep this as is i.e. with speed 180-200 mbps.

The machine is new and was setup 3 months back, so I was not in favor that OS install will resolve this issue.

Just guessing, it might be due to the hardware support issue.

Thanks you for your support to debug the issue.

Best Regards,

Shailesh

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Shailesh,

You are welcome.

We are sorry to hear that the last option is not possible to you.

If you have any other concerns or assistance needed in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us and we will be glad to be of help.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Shailesh,

Good day!

Based on the SSU that you provided, the driver version is 12.18.8.9 (dated 01/24/2019) from SW 23.5.2 We'd like to check if you have tried the latest driver from SW 24.1 that comes with driver version - 12.18.9.8 (dated 06/06/2019)?

Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Shailesh
Beginner

Thanks Crisselle!!

I have updated the drivers.

Earlier the drivers were from 24.0 package, now I have updated it from 24.1 (12.18.9.8).

It is working fine and now getting the speed 280-300 mbps.

Finally the issue get resolved. Thanks a lot for your support to debug and resolve this issue.

Thanks and Regards,

Shailesh

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Shailesh,

You are welcome. Glad to be of help on this matter.

If you have any other concerns or assistance needed in the future, feel free to contact us and we will be glad to be of help.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos