Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

FM1000 "PMD: eth_fm10k_dev_init(): switch is not ready" error with dpdk

anuradhalk
Beginner

Hi,

I'm trying to run dpdk on Intel FM10000 NIC. I have installed "fm10k" driver and I can see my NIC on ifconfig. I have bound the interface to igb_uio and tried to run testpmd and following error occurs,

"PMD: eth_fm10k_dev_init(): switch is not ready"

As per DPDK documentation on https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/nics/fm10k.html , I need to install another switch driver to get FM10k work with dpdk I think. Kindly let me know if this is the problem and how can I obtain the switch driver.

Anuradha

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello anuradhalk,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities.

Regarding your inquiry, please contact our DPDK support. They should be able to help you with your concern. Kindly open the link below and click "Access and Log In" to contact the DPDK support.https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/design/support/ips/training/welcome.html 

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
anuradhalk
Beginner

Hi,

I have contacted my NIC manufacturer and obtained a proper driver and everything is working good now.

However,  I need to create 4 VFs of my FM10000 NICs using SR-IOV and share 2 of them to a VM and other 2 to the host computer. I use Qemu/KVM for VM creation. I have set  intel_iommu=pt and I can bind 2 VFs to host using fm10k driver. However I am unable to bind rest of the 2 VFs to vfio-pci driver to share them to VM. The following kernel error is occurred upon binding,

vfio-pci: probe of 0000:da:00.1 failed with error -22

Kindly let me know if there is a quick fix for this or I will add this as a new question.

Regards,

Anuradha

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello anuradhalk,

Before we proceed, let me clarify the following information first.

1. Are you building or designing a custom system?
  2. Regarding the new question, is it still related to DPDK?

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello anuradhalk,

I am just sending a follow up regarding the information that I asked below for me to further help you.

1. Are you building or designing a custom system?
  2. Regarding the new question, is it still related to DPDK?

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello anuradhalk,

I am just sending another follow up on the information that I requested. 

Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos