Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4871 Discussions

FibreChannel PCI-e link for Laptops

Thumbult
Beginner
Using a ribbon cable cable to connect full-size graphics cards on older high end laptops over a mini PCI-e link with a ribbon cable has become a universe within itself especially on Ubuntu!

Considering the laptop is already capable of much more than the Desktop and fiber optic cables can transfer data at extremely high rates of speed I’m wondering what that could mean for a standard for connecting any PCI-e expansion device to a laptop with an adaptor box?

Of course the laptop is more powerful than a desktop with just the location alone but what more flexibility could you add with the ability to connect multiple desktop graphics cards or even a FireWire or e-SATA link?

Something like this could be expensive so the connector should have a locking clip and the door should probably lock until you tell the system you are ready to connect the cable. Just in case you are a tough user you should be able to remove the connector unit and replace it on the fly.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Achilles_Intel

Hello Thumbult,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities.

We just want to clarify on your inquiry. Are you building or designing a system or are you having any Ethernet issues with your laptop?

Let us know if you need any clarifications. Should we not hear from you, we will make sure to make a follow-up after 3 business days.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Best regards,

Achilles M.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Achilles_Intel

Hello Thumbult,

How are you?

We are following up on the clarification we are requesting for your inquiry on this thread so we can assist you further on this.

Let us know if you have additional questions. If we do not receive a response from you, we will make another follow-up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Achilles M.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Thumbult,

How are you?

I am just sending another follow up on the information that I requested. 

Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos